Old 07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Niels Thykier

Default DebConf11: Java Team Meeting and Eclipse Packaging BoF

Hi

I just got confirmed two Ad-Hoc BoFs on 2011-07-30:
* Java Team Meeting (10:00)
* Eclipse Packaging BoF (18:00)

I hope people can join even though I was late in getting them up an
running. I expect the Java Meeting will mostly be about do a status
update/health check on what we are doing (and what we should be doing).
We can debate the "Java Release Goals", multi-arch status for Java or
whatever you'd like (possibly except Jigsaw, which has its own thing
later that day).

The Eclipse Packaging BoF is intended for people interested in helping
with packaging eclipse 3.7 and eclipse plugins. We do have some
problems like xulrunner 2.0 (iceweasel 5.0) and eclipse's lack of
"shared-install" support.

I do not have a lot planned for these, so it would be great if you are
armed with curiosity and questions. I am more than happy to give people
a practical session on building eclipse for that BoF as well.

~Niels

Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 AM
Thomas Koch

Niels Thykier:
> I do not have a lot planned for these, so it would be great if you are
> armed with curiosity and questions. I am more than happy to give people
> a practical session on building eclipse for that BoF as well.

Thank you for getting this scheduled!

I'm still carrying around the idea of a Maven repository for Debian. People
can upload their Maven packages to Debian's repository. Once a DD gives an OK,
everything from there on until having the package in the archive could and
should be automated.

I've no idea how we should manage otherwise to get a substantial amount of
java libraries packaged.

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
"Manfred Moser"

On Tue, July 26, 2011 9:16 pm, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Niels Thykier:
>> I do not have a lot planned for these, so it would be great if you are
>> armed with curiosity and questions. I am more than happy to give people
>> a practical session on building eclipse for that BoF as well.
>
> Thank you for getting this scheduled!
>
> I'm still carrying around the idea of a Maven repository for Debian.
> People
> can upload their Maven packages to Debian's repository. Once a DD gives an
> OK,
> everything from there on until having the package in the archive could and
> should be automated.
>
> I've no idea how we should manage otherwise to get a substantial amount of
> java libraries packaged.

Maybe Maven central could get another public section exposed by the
infrastructure that only contains Debian approved artifacts. Have you
talked to the Maven PMC and/or Sonatype about that?

manfred
http://www.simpligility.com

Old 07-29-2011, 05:25 AM
tony mancill

On 07/26/2011 06:54 AM, Niels Thykier wrote:

> I hope people can join even though I was late in getting them up an running.
> I expect the Java Meeting will mostly be about do a status update/health
> check on what we are doing (and what we should be doing). We can debate the
> "Java Release Goals", multi-arch status for Java or whatever you'd like
> (possibly except Jigsaw, which has its own thing later that day).

Hi Niels,

Thanks for organizing. I won't be able to attend, but wanted to propose
a few minor topics for the Java Team Meeting:

* Many of the packages using maven-repo-helper end up installing JARs under
/usr/share/maven-repo/ and then symlinks in /usr/share/java/. Is this in
violation of Java Policy? (Even if it's not, is there a reason not to have the
actual JARs under /usj, provided that they're not private?) I think it would be
nice if, by default, maven-repo-helper would assume that the JARs were
non-private and thus should be installed in /usj. However, there may be
technical reasons why this isn't feasible or palatable.

* Is there any consensus on (or objection to) migrating team-maintained packages
from svn to git? I'm thinking specifically about tomcat6 in
the short-term but don't want to alienate other contributors.

Thank you,
tony

Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello,

maven-repo-helper installing jars under /usr/share/maven-repo by default
is an old issue, it should be fixed by recompiling your package against
a newer version of maven-repo-helper (>= 0.7).

I'll try to attend the Java meeting.

Ludovic

Old 08-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Torsten Werner

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Ludovic Claude
<ludovic.claude@laposte.net> wrote:
> maven-repo-helper installing jars under /usr/share/maven-repo by default
> is an old issue, it should be fixed by recompiling your package against
> a newer version of maven-repo-helper (>= 0.7).

I've generated a list of binary packages at
<http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/needs-rebuild.txt>. Maybe
someone wants to work on that?

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Alexander Holupirek

Hi,

On 03.08.2011, at 13:41, Torsten Werner wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Ludovic Claude
> <ludovic.claude@laposte.net> wrote:
>> maven-repo-helper installing jars under /usr/share/maven-repo by default
>> is an old issue, it should be fixed by recompiling your package against
>> a newer version of maven-repo-helper (>= 0.7).
>
> I've generated a list of binary packages at
> <http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/needs-rebuild.txt>. Maybe
> someone wants to work on that?

i tried for the basex package with maven-repo-helper 1.5.1.
dpkg-buildpackage still places the jars in /usr/share/maven-repo.
Surely I'm missing something. Can anyone hit me with a clue bat?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Torsten Werner

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Alexander Holupirek <alex@holupirek.de> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Ludovic Claude
>> <ludovic.claude@laposte.net> wrote:
>>> maven-repo-helper installing jars under /usr/share/maven-repo by default
>>> is an old issue, it should be fixed by recompiling your package against
>>> a newer version of maven-repo-helper (>= 0.7).
>
> i tried for the basex package with maven-repo-helper 1.5.1.
> dpkg-buildpackage still places the jars in /usr/share/maven-repo.
> Surely I'm missing something. Can anyone hit me with a clue bat?

both of you are probably correct. I think maven-repo-helper has
been fixed but maven-debian-helper has not. But that is just a wild
guess. Ludovic, what do you think about that?

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Ludovic Claude

Yes, that's exactly what's happening. maven-debian-helper needs fixing.
I'm raising a bug to add to my todo list.

Ludovic

Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
tony mancill

On 08/03/2011 04:41 AM, Torsten Werner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Ludovic Claude
> <ludovic.claude@laposte.net> wrote:
>> maven-repo-helper installing jars under /usr/share/maven-repo by default
>> is an old issue, it should be fixed by recompiling your package against
>> a newer version of maven-repo-helper (>= 0.7).
>
> I've generated a list of binary packages at
> <http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/needs-rebuild.txt>. Maybe
> someone wants to work on that?
>
> Cheers,
> Torsten

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for compiling the list. I'm touched several packages on that
list, and so am willing to take on the rebuilds. I think we've
determined that we need to wait on an updated version of
maven-debian-helper before beginning, right?

Thank you,
Tony