Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Benjamin Mesing

Default Problem with jarwrapper: "Error! CRCs do not match!"

Hi,

I am packaging a java application (umlet). I've put the created jar file
into "/usr/share/java/umlet.jar" chmoded it to being executable (using
jh_exec) and added a symlink to it at /usr/bin/umlet.
The package depends on javawrapper.

Now when I try to run the application (either throuh "umlet" or
"/usr/share/java/umlet.jar" I get an CRC error:
Error! CRCs do not match! Got 1a6cd7b3, expected 0
When I run the application using
"java -jar /usr/share/java/umlet.jar"
everything works just fine.

I am kind of clueless, but before I report a bug against jarwrapper I
wanted to ask here, if I am doing something wrong.

Help would be appreciated!

Ben

Btw.: Lintian complains
W: umlet: executable-not-elf-or-script usr/share/java/umlet.jar
N:
N: This executable file is not an ELF format binary, and does not start
N: with the #! sequence that marks interpreted scripts. It might be a sh
N: script that fails to name /bin/sh as its shell, or it may be incorrectly
N: marked as executable. Sometimes upstream files developed on Windows are
N: marked unnecessarily as executable on other systems.
N:
N: If you are using debhelper to build your package, running dh_fixperms
N: will often correct this problem for you.
N:
N: Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 10.4 (Scripts) for details.
N:
N: Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
N:
N: Check: scripts, Type: binary
N:
This is a false positive, right?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Paul Wise

This sounds a bit like bug #627121 against gzip, caused by the glibc
memcpy stuff

Try setting this environment variable:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/*/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so

Then run your command and check syslog for signs that the bug exists.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Benjamin Mesing

Thanks Paul.

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 23:36 +0200, Paul Wise wrote:
> This sounds a bit like bug #627121 against gzip, caused by the glibc
> memcpy stuff
>
> Try setting this environment variable:
>
> export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/*/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so

After setting
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so
I get
ERROR: ld.so: object
'/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so' from
LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
when starting any program. Nothing is reported within syslog.

When I unpack my jar-file using "jar xf" no CRC error is reported.

Any further ideas?

Best regards

Ben

Old 07-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Paul Wise

I guess your libc6 is not new enough to have multiarch support.

Which version of libc6 do you have?

Do you have any of these files?

/usr/lib/libc/memcpy-preload.so
/usr/lib/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-preload.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so

Run this to find out:

find /usr/lib -iname memcpy-*preload.so | xargs file

You should get this if you are running Debian wheezy:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-preload.so:
ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked, stripped
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so:
ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked, stripped

Then set LD_PRELOAD as before.

If you are not running libc6 2.13-3 or greater and the preload library
does not fix this then I have zero idea.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Benjamin Mesing

After updating libc, setting LD_PRELOAD worked without producing any
error messages. However, syslog showed nothing suspicious. Btw. the bug
in gzip you mentioned is now fixed.

I've reported a bug against jarwrapper (#634089) and will build the
package with a startup script instead.

Thanks for your help,

Ben

Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Tomasz Muras

Hi All,

> Now when I try to run the application (either throuh "umlet" or
> "/usr/share/java/umlet.jar" I get an CRC error:
> Error! CRCs do not match! Got 1a6cd7b3, expected 0
> When I run the application using
> "java -jar /usr/share/java/umlet.jar"
> everything works just fine.

I have the same problem here:
% ./javatut.jar
Error! CRCs do not match! Got 1a6cd7b3, expected 0
% java -jar javatut.jar
Hello world

> Which version of libc6 do you have?
libc6 2.13-16
libc6-i686 2.13-16

> Do you have any of these files?
>
> /usr/lib/libc/memcpy-preload.so
> /usr/lib/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-preload.so
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so
No, I don't.

Now, I can reproduce the error when doing the following:
* using debian/javabuild with:
javatut.jar src
* using debian/manifest with:
usr/share/javatut/javatut.jar:
Main-Class: net.zabuchy.Main

But as soon as I remove debian/javabuild and debian/manifest and build
with debian/rules:
%:
dh $@ --with javahelper

override_dh_auto_build:
jh_build -mnet.zabuchy.Main javatut.jar src

everything works just fine. Any thoughts?

Tomek

Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-08-24 23:30, Tomasz Muras wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>> [...]
> No, I don't.
>
> Now, I can reproduce the error when doing the following:
> * using debian/javabuild with:
> javatut.jar src
> * using debian/manifest with:
> usr/share/javatut/javatut.jar:
> Main-Class: net.zabuchy.Main
>
> But as soon as I remove debian/javabuild and debian/manifest and build
> with debian/rules:
> %:
> dh $@ --with javahelper
>
> override_dh_auto_build:
> jh_build -mnet.zabuchy.Main javatut.jar src
>
> everything works just fine. Any thoughts?
>
> Tomek

Does it come back if you use jh_manifest to set the main class?

~Niels

Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Tomasz Muras

On 25/08/11 07:10, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2011-08-24 23:30, Tomasz Muras wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>> [...]
>> No, I don't.
>>
>> Now, I can reproduce the error when doing the following:
>> * using debian/javabuild with:
>> javatut.jar src
>> * using debian/manifest with:
>> usr/share/javatut/javatut.jar:
>> Main-Class: net.zabuchy.Main
>>
>> But as soon as I remove debian/javabuild and debian/manifest and build
>> with debian/rules:
>> %:
>> dh $@ --with javahelper
>>
>> override_dh_auto_build:
>> jh_build -mnet.zabuchy.Main javatut.jar src
>>
>> everything works just fine. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Tomek
>>

> Does it come back if you use jh_manifest to set the main class?

Yes, jh_manifest is to blame:
% ./javatut.jar
Hello world
% jh_manifest -cnet.zabuchy.Main javatut.jar
% ./javatut.jar