Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Luke Cycon

Default Buggy/Stable java program (craftbukkit), possible ITP?

Hey all,

Available online is a game server called craftbukkit. It is effectively
an LGPL rewrite of the closed source Minecraft server. It is widely
used to run game servers, and I feel many users would benefit from a
package containing the builds pre-setup to run correctly. (As it stands,
server installation can be tricky for those not knowledgeable in Java.)

This is all well and good, but the issue comes here:

The software is currently under development and unreleased. That being
said, its developer builds are still very stable. However, given such a
large game (feature/game-play possibility wise), quite a few bugs do
crop up. These bugs are inherently issues with the game/gameplay and
are not easily fixed by anyone but the bukkit devs. My question boils
down to this: Would it be outside the realm of possibility to package
such a program and only accept bugs that have to do with its Debian
specific packaging?

The bugs are resolved rather fast by upstream, usually being fixed
within a week. For this reason, my first thought would be to keep the
package in unstable and keep a steady flow of updates.

I haven't seen any packages like this one, but I can't say I led an
extensive search either. If anyone knows of one, point me towards it so
I can take a look!

Looking forward to everyone's input,
--
Luke Cycon <lcycon@gmail.com>

0x36A0D0AA

Git Repo for craftbukkit: https://github.com/Bukkit/CraftBukkit
Bukkit Homepage: http://bukkit.org/

Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Joachim Breitner

Hi Luke,

I think the package could be package for Debian, especially if that is
true:

Am Dienstag, den 12.07.2011, 00:43 -0700 schrieb Luke Cycon:
> The bugs are resolved rather fast by upstream, usually being fixed
> within a week. For this reason, my first thought would be to keep the
> package in unstable and keep a steady flow of updates.

You should of course still accept bugs for upstream issues to be filed
against the Debian package. You can then tag them as "upstream", forward
them to the upstream maintainers and close them when a fixed version
enters Debian.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer

Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 PM
The Fungi

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:43:03AM -0700, Luke Cycon wrote:
[...]
> It is effectively an LGPL rewrite of the closed source Minecraft
> server.
[...]

I gather that it's a partial reverse-engineer-and-patch layer for
Minecraft (so arguably a derivative work), and its legality is
currently under dispute according to the FAQ. All this would have to
be figured out before Debian could distribute it:

"The Bukkit Team is currently in talks with the Minecraft
developers to sort out any licensing issues before we decide to
have an official release."

http://wiki.bukkit.org/FAQ#When_will_Bukkit_be_released.3F

Even once licensing is worked through, unless it becomes useful for
anything besides Minecraft or unless Mojang decides to release a
DFSG compatible version of Minecraft so that it too can be in
Debian, I suspect CraftBukkit would be relegated to the contrib
archive area (and thus not officially part of the Debian
distribution).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);

Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Paul Wise

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:41 PM, The Fungi <fungi@yuggoth.org> wrote:

> Even once licensing is worked through, unless it becomes useful for
> anything besides Minecraft or unless Mojang decides to release a
> DFSG compatible version of Minecraft so that it too can be in
> Debian, I suspect CraftBukkit would be relegated to the contrib
> archive area (and thus not officially part of the Debian
> distribution).

There exist Minecraft-like games that appear at first glance to be
Free Software, for Minetest-c55 and its forks:

http://celeron.55.lt/~celeron55/minetest/

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Luke Cycon

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 13:41 +0000, The Fungi wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:43:03AM -0700, Luke Cycon wrote:
> [...]
> > It is effectively an LGPL rewrite of the closed source Minecraft
> > server.
> [...]
>
> I gather that it's a partial reverse-engineer-and-patch layer for
> Minecraft (so arguably a derivative work), and its legality is
> currently under dispute according to the FAQ. All this would have to
> be figured out before Debian could distribute it:
>
> "The Bukkit Team is currently in talks with the Minecraft
> developers to sort out any licensing issues before we decide to
> have an official release."
>
> http://wiki.bukkit.org/FAQ#When_will_Bukkit_be_released.3F
>
> Even once licensing is worked through, unless it becomes useful for
> anything besides Minecraft or unless Mojang decides to release a
> DFSG compatible version of Minecraft so that it too can be in
> Debian, I suspect CraftBukkit would be relegated to the contrib
> archive area (and thus not officially part of the Debian
> distribution).

Mhm. Mojang seems to be building a modding API which they say is going
to simply be a full release of the source code of the server. There is
a condition of use that whatever is made using the modding API must be
provided free of charge. (At least this is what I gather from crawling
over their site) Link is [1], a blog post from Markus "Notch" Persson,
owner of Mojang Spec, explaining this (Look near the end).

I will try get into contact with someone at both Mojang and Bukkit and
see what could be arranged.

To the contrib point: I still think that inclusion in contrib would be
very useful. I am open to counter arguments though.

[1] http://notch.tumblr.com/post/6385865216/post-e3-information-dump
--
Luke Cycon <lcycon@gmail.com>

Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Luke Cycon

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 14:29 -0700, Luke Cycon wrote:

> Mhm. Mojang seems to be building a modding API which they say is going
> to simply be a full release of the source code of the server. There is
> a condition of use that whatever is made using the modding API must be
> provided free of charge. (At least this is what I gather from crawling
> over their site) Link is [1], a blog post from Markus "Notch" Persson,
> owner of Mojang Spec, explaining this (Look near the end).
>
> I will try get into contact with someone at both Mojang and Bukkit and
> see what could be arranged.
>
> To the contrib point: I still think that inclusion in contrib would be
> very useful. I am open to counter arguments though.
>
> [1] http://notch.tumblr.com/post/6385865216/post-e3-information-dump

Okay. The Vanilla Minecraft server is a lost cause, Markus says its
closed source and they are not interested. He does say that Bukkit is a
derivative of their intellectual property and that they have worked out
a license deal. Seen as the LGPL notice is new, I would assume that is
the license deal, but I will check with the Bukkit owner.

Thanks,
--
Luke Cycon <lcycon@gmail.com>