Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 AM
James Page

Default Maintaining zookeeper in Debian

Hi Team

Some of you may have been following the discussion around zookeeper and
its future in Debian on debian-devel.

Clint Byrum (cc'ed) and myself discussed this last week and we would
like to step up to help maintain this package in Debian.

There are a couple of reasons for this:

1) zookeeper is a essential part of ensemble (see [0] and [1]) so having
a well maintained package in Debian and Ubuntu is key to the success of
this project.

2) zookeeper is part of the Hadoop Big-Data suite which is important for
the Ubuntu Server Team strategically.

The package is currently maintained by Debian Java Maintainers; we
propose that this remains as is and that Clint and I pickup the
outstanding bugs against this package for resolution in the immediate
future.

Neither Clint or I are Debian Developers so we will need help in the
form of sponsorship to ensure that this package continues to be actively
maintained.

Regards

James

[0] https://ensemble.ubuntu.com/
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/06/threads.html#00283

--
James Page
Ubuntu Server Developer

Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 PM
"Damien Raude-Morvan"

Hi James,

Le mercredi 22 juin 2011 12:20:59, James Page a écrit :
> The package is currently maintained by Debian Java Maintainers; we
> propose that this remains as is and that Clint and I pickup the
> outstanding bugs against this package for resolution in the immediate
> future.

Are you already in contact with upstream ?
AFAIK, from [1], we have to choose between Apache/Cloudera distribution and
find a way to establish long term support from upstream.

> Neither Clint or I are Debian Developers so we will need help in the
> form of sponsorship to ensure that this package continues to be actively
> maintained.

You can count on my help for sponsoring (and I think others DD in Debian Java
Team can provide time for reviews and upload too

As a mid-term solution, I think you should at least apply to Debian Maintainer
process [2].

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/06/msg00371.html
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer

Damien

Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 AM
James Page

Hi Damien

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 23:52 +0200, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
[...]
> Are you already in contact with upstream ?
> AFAIK, from [1], we have to choose between Apache/Cloudera distribution and
> find a way to establish long term support from upstream.

I think this is an important consideration in the mid to long term; The
Cloudera distribution is certainly more popular (one of the Ubuntu
server team discussed this with Hadoop users at Hadoop World last year)
but at the moment they only support the Sun/Oracle JDK which would be a
blocker for good upstream participation/support.

Reference [1] also mentions Bigtop; This is a Cloudera project that has
been open-sourced and has just been accepted as an Apache Incubator
project. I will be participating (see [3]) and I hope that this will
allow the upstream distribution packaging to converge with the distro
packaging.

> > Neither Clint or I are Debian Developers so we will need help in the
> > form of sponsorship to ensure that this package continues to be actively
> > maintained.
>
> You can count on my help for sponsoring (and I think others DD in Debian Java
> Team can provide time for reviews and upload too

Great - thankyou!

Cheers

James

[3] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BigtopProposal