Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
James Page

Default Policy question: Private Libraries and Maven Artefacts

Hi Team

I have a question about how I should package some of the dependencies
for Jenkins.

Basically the Jenkins project manages a number of small utility
libraries as separate projects; these are jenkins specific (i.e.
unlikely to find use outside of the jenkins project itself).

I want to align to upstream by managing these are separate Java library
packages; however this does not appear to fit into the Debian Java
Policy for either Java applications or Libraries exactly.

This is my proposed approach:

Package Name: libjenkins-XXX-java

where XXX is the name of the library

Artefacts will be published to /usr/share/maven-repo; Jenkins
requires this in order to build successfully.

JAR files will also be published to /usr/share/jenkins/java;
these will be used by Jenkins at runtime but will not be shared
with other applications as they are not published
to /usr/share/java.

This approach combines aspects of the Java application and library
sections of the policy - and as such it does generate some lintian
warnings about JAR's not being installed to /usr/share/java.

I wondered whether anyone has come across similar issues and how they
resolved them; and if not whether the above approach looks reasonable.

Comments and guidance much appreciated.

Cheers

James

--