Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Miguel Telleria de Esteban

Default First steps with maven and Java packaging

Dear all Debian Javaers

First of all let me state my SKILLS:

- Java: MEDIUM
- Maven: NEWBIE, although I have gone through several tutorials and
docs [1].
- Ant (if applicable): NONE
- Debian Packaging: MEDIUM-HIGH. Lots of experience backporting,
still not much creating new packages.

What I want to do
-----------------

Package, in Debian Squeeze the esper library of CodeHaus

http://esper.codehaus.org/

in particular the 4.0.0 version available through SVN.

http://svn.codehaus.org/esper/esper/tags/release_4.0.0

and more specifically the main esper subdirectory.

http://svn.codehaus.org/esper/esper/tags/release_4.0.0/esper

Where I am now
--------------

On upstream:

* Using upstream sources and invoking "mvn jar:jar", I get the .jar
file without problems.

* If I do a "mvn package" o "mvn install" the tests get execute which
require a working mysql setting which I don't have (and would not
like to set it up right now).

On Debian package:

* I created a control file, a changelog and a basic rules file taken
from http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenBuilder

THE PROBLEMS
------------

When I issue "debuild" I get TWO MISSING DEPENDENCIES: Junit and MySQL

Missing:
----------
1) junit:junit:jar:debian

Path to dependency:
1) com.espertech:esper:jar:4.0.0
2) junit:junit:jar:debian

2) mysql:mysql-connector-java:jar:debian

Path to dependency:
1) com.espertech:esper:jar:4.0.0
2) mysql:mysql-connector-java:jar:debian

About Junit:

I don't understand why Junit can be missing since I have both junit and
junit4 installed.

ii junit 3.8.2-4 Automated testing framework for Java
un junit-doc <ninguna>
junit4 4.8.2-2 JUnit regression test framework for Java

both show up at /usr/share/maven/repo

About mysql-java:

It is true the libmysql-java does not provide any POM content. But on
the other side it is not needed for building.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU (finally)
--------------------------------------

* Is there a way to disable any test phase in the package? I would
like to set the property

maven.test.skip = true

but I don't know where, in the debian/ directory place this command.

* Is there an easy way to generate a POM for libmysql-java?. Should I
file a bug on this package?. But I guess it will not be the only
one not providing POM content.

* Why do I have dependency problems with Junit?. This seems to be a
very common package that should work well with Maven.

* I am still using maven-debian-helper 1.1 from squeeze. Should I
backport the 1.4 version in Sid and Wheezy?

Thanks for your time,

Miguel

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Maven
http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.html
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/The+Project+Object+Model+%28POM%29

http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoSpec
http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoHelper
http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenDebianHelper

--

(O-O)
---oOO-(_)-OOo-----------------------------------------------------

Miembro de http://www.linuca.org Membre du http://www.bxlug.be
¿Usuario captivo o libre? http://www.obtengalinux.org/windows/
Free or captive user? http://www.getgnulinux.org/windows/

Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 PM
James Page

Hi Miguel

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 11:39 +0200, Miguel Telleria de Esteban wrote:

> * Is there a way to disable any test phase in the package? I would
> like to set the property
>
> maven.test.skip = true
>
> but I don't know where, in the debian/ directory place this
> command.

Set this in debian/maven.properties - it should get picked up
automatically then.

> * Is there an easy way to generate a POM for libmysql-java?. Should
> file a bug on this package?. But I guess it will not be the only
> one not providing POM content.

Definitely raise a bug; a patch would be great as well - see
http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoHelper on how to install the jar
and POM in the right locations by using maven-repo-helper.

> * Why do I have dependency problems with Junit?. This seems to be a
> very common package that should work well with Maven.

The junit packages install into the maven repo under version numbers 3.x
or 4.x so you will need to add the following rule to debian/maven.rules
to make your package pickup the right version:

junit junit jar s/4..*/4.x/ * *

> * I am still using maven-debian-helper 1.1 from squeeze. Should I
> backport the 1.4 version in Sid and Wheezy?

1.4 certainly does alot more that 1.1 - especially when generating the
initial package (see mh_make) - in fact it can even pull directly from a
svn repository.

Cheers

James

--
James Page
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server Team

Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Miguel Telleria de Esteban

Hello again,

First of all thanks James for your answer, I have not had time until now
to work on the issue but now I can comment some progress that I have
made.

On Wed, 18 May 2011 14:45:04 +0100 James Page wrote:

> Hi Miguel
>
> On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 11:39 +0200, Miguel Telleria de Esteban wrote:
> >
> > * Is there a way to disable any test phase in the package? I would
> > like to set the property
> >
> > maven.test.skip = true
> >
> > but I don't know where, in the debian/ directory place this
> > command.
>
> Set this in debian/maven.properties - it should get picked up
> automatically then.

I have done so but the tests are still activated. Could it be because
I am still using maven-debian-helper 1.1?... I guess not, I will
investigate further.

Anyway having the tests activated allow me to check the other two
issues.

> > * Is there an easy way to generate a POM for libmysql-java?.
> > Should I
> > file a bug on this package?. But I guess it will not be the only
> > one not providing POM content.
>
> Definitely raise a bug; a patch would be great as well - see
> http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoHelper on how to install the jar
> and POM in the right locations by using maven-repo-helper.

Done, and it was not that hard to fix the package. Bug report with
patch is available.

Once I installed the patched package maven does not complain more about
missing mysql-connector.

On another hand, this package dates from 2009. Is it still maintained?
upstream version is much higher. But this is a different issue for now.

> > * Why do I have dependency problems with Junit?. This seems to be
> > a very common package that should work well with Maven.
>
> The junit packages install into the maven repo under version numbers
> 3.x or 4.x so you will need to add the following rule to
> debian/maven.rules to make your package pickup the right version:
>
> junit junit jar s/4..*/4.x/ * *

Done and it works.

> > * I am still using maven-debian-helper 1.1 from squeeze. Should I
> > backport the 1.4 version in Sid and Wheezy?
>
> 1.4 certainly does alot more that 1.1 - especially when generating the
> initial package (see mh_make) - in fact it can even pull directly
> from a svn repository.

I am considering backporting.

Cheers,

Miguel