Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 PM
"Damien Raude-Morvan"

Default Introduction GSoC Jigsaw student

Welcome Guillaume,

[I've kept you CC since I don't know if you're subscribed to debian-java or
openjdk ML]

On Fri, 13 May 2011 11:36:40 +0200, Guillaume Mazoyer
<respawneral@gmail.com> wrote:
> My name is Guillaume Mazoyer and I am the student who will work on
> packaging Jigsaw (modular VM for Java 8) for Debian during this summer
> as part of the Google Summer of Code.
> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/Jigsaw
>
> I would like to join the openjdk packaging team to contribute to the
> openjdk package. I have a lot to learn about this package and that's
> also why I'm a student for this GSoC.

Did you plan to work directly on OpenJDK8 or will you try to package the
"jigsaw" forest of opendjk7 [1] ?

As of packaging all this on Debian/Ubuntu, we currently have two main JDK
repositories [2] [3]. You should have a look to some "guidelines" I've written
for new comers to this package (like me [4]

> Joining this team will also allow me to get more familiar with the
> Debian processes and the openjdk package.

doko is the team administrator, you should ping him.

[1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jigsaw/jigsaw/summary
[2] https://code.launchpad.net/~openjdk/openjdk/openjdk7
[3] https://code.launchpad.net/~openjdk/openjdk/openjdk6
[4]
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openjdk/openjdk/openjdk7/view/head:/README.source

Cheers,
--
Damien

Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 AM
Tom Marble

On 05/16/2011 05:30 PM, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
> Did you plan to work directly on OpenJDK8 or will you try to package the
> "jigsaw" forest of opendjk7 [1] ?
This is an interesting question and it was too late
today to ping Mandy or mr for feedback...

Up until now I have been working with the Jigsaw forest, but
if the frequent Mandy syncs to JDK 7 are any indication then
it is likely that the new work is going into JDK 8 (trunk).

In fact this would make sense as JDK 7 is in the endgame
and Jigsaw isn't part of JDK 7.

I'll followup as I learn more...

--Tom

Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Matthias Klose

On 05/17/2011 12:30 AM, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:

Welcome Guillaume,

[I've kept you CC since I don't know if you're subscribed to debian-java or
openjdk ML]

On Fri, 13 May 2011 11:36:40 +0200, Guillaume Mazoyer
<respawneral@gmail.com> wrote:

My name is Guillaume Mazoyer and I am the student who will work on
packaging Jigsaw (modular VM for Java 8) for Debian during this summer
as part of the Google Summer of Code.
http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/Jigsaw

I would like to join the openjdk packaging team to contribute to the
openjdk package. I have a lot to learn about this package and that's
also why I'm a student for this GSoC.

Did you plan to work directly on OpenJDK8 or will you try to package the
"jigsaw" forest of opendjk7 [1] ?

afaik, the OpenJDK8 development is currently done behind closed doors, so which
other chance do you have besides working with 7?

As of packaging all this on Debian/Ubuntu, we currently have two main JDK
repositories [2] [3]. You should have a look to some "guidelines" I've written
for new comers to this package (like me [4]

Joining this team will also allow me to get more familiar with the
Debian processes and the openjdk package.

I really would like to see this work being done within the IcedTea project, not
(just) within the packaging. Are there any issues preventing this?

Matthias

Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Tom Marble

On 05/17/2011 04:25 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 05/17/2011 12:30 AM, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote: [...]
>> Did you plan to work directly on OpenJDK8 or will you try to package the
>> "jigsaw" forest of opendjk7 [1] ?
>
> afaik, the OpenJDK8 development is currently done behind closed doors, so which other chance do you have besides working with 7?

Alas you are correct. For all of the discussion about this feature
in JDK 8 we are still in a "transient" period:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2011-May/001766.html

> I really would like to see this work being done within the IcedTea project, not (just) within the packaging. Are there any issues preventing this?

This is, indeed, the planned approach. As a matter of fact I
discussed this project with upstream and they are
quite interested in it... Our ability to push changes
from IcedTea to upstream will depend on their willingness
to participate in the community.

Regards,

--Tom

Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Tom Marble

On 05/17/2011 07:13 AM, Tom Marble wrote:
> On 05/17/2011 04:25 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> afaik, the OpenJDK8 development is currently done behind closed doors, so which other chance do you have besides working with 7?
>
> Alas you are correct. For all of the discussion about this feature
> in JDK 8 we are still in a "transient" period:
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2011-May/001766.html

In a brief exchange with mr I was reminded that
all work in Jigsaw is done in the Jigsaw forest and
the Mandy 'sync' messages are about pulling forward
recent changes from the JDK 7 tree to Jigsaw (so
that Jigsaw stays up to date).

So the Jigsaw forest it is!

Regards,

--Tom