Old 05-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Vladimir Kotov

Default RFS: RSyntaxTextArea (2nd try, updated)

Dear mentors,

I am still looking for a sponsor for my package "rsyntaxtextarea" (also
updated to new upstream release).

* Package name : RSyntaxTextArea
Version : 1.5.1
Upstream Author : Robert Futrell
* License : LGPL
Programming Lang: Java
Description : A Java library for the syntax highlighting text editor

It builds these binary packages:
librsyntaxtextarea-java - Java library for syntax highlighting text
component
librsyntaxtextarea-java-doc - Java library for syntax highlighting text
component (documentation)

The upload would fix these bugs: 613585.

My motivation for maintaining this package is: It is a dependency of
Syntax Plugin for SQuirreL SQL Client that I am trying to package for
Debian.

- dget
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/rsyntaxtextarea/rsyntaxtextarea_1.5.1-1.dsc

Debian Java SVN repository:
Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/rsyntaxtextarea
Vcs-Browser: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-java/trunk/rsyntaxtextarea/

Kind regards
Vladimir Kotov

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-05-08 01:10, Vladimir Kotov wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am still looking for a sponsor for my package "rsyntaxtextarea" (also
> updated to new upstream release).
>
> * Package name : RSyntaxTextArea
> Version : 1.5.1
> Upstream Author : Robert Futrell
> * License : LGPL
> Programming Lang: Java
> Description : A Java library for the syntax highlighting text editor
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> librsyntaxtextarea-java - Java library for syntax highlighting text
> component
> librsyntaxtextarea-java-doc - Java library for syntax highlighting text
> component (documentation)

> The upload would fix these bugs: 613585.
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is: It is a dependency of
> Syntax Plugin for SQuirreL SQL Client that I am trying to package for
> Debian.

> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/rsyntaxtextarea/rsyntaxtextarea_1.5.1-1.dsc
>
> Debian Java SVN repository:
> Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/rsyntaxtextarea
> Vcs-Browser: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-java/trunk/rsyntaxtextarea/

> Kind regards
> Vladimir Kotov

Hi

It mostly looks good, I only have couple of comments. You licensed the
debian packaging (incl. patches) as GPL-2. This means that upstream
cannot accept your patches without bumping their license to GPL-2, which
will make them less likely to accept patches from us. Personally I
would recommend using the same terms as upstream itself, but otherwise
please make d/patches/* under LGPL-2.1+, so they can take patches from us.

Secondly the license of rsyntaxtextarea (I hate typing that >.>) is
LGPL-2.1+ (it has the "or any later" clause).

As far as I can tell, rsyntaxtextarea has not been uploaded to Debian
yet, so debian/changelog should only be entry (only with the "* Initial
release"-line). Though if you have had it rsyntaxtextarea downloadable
from an unofficial APT-repository (e.g. a PPA) or your website, let me
know and we keep both entries.

Last, there is a new standards version 3.9.2 (lintian might not warn
about it because the date line in d/changelog is older than the release
date of the new policy).

~Niels

Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Vladimir Kotov

Hi Niels,

On 05/10/2011 12:50 PM, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Hi
>
> It mostly looks good, I only have couple of comments. You licensed the
> debian packaging (incl. patches) as GPL-2. [...]
>
> Secondly the license of rsyntaxtextarea (I hate typing that >.>) is
> LGPL-2.1+ (it has the "or any later" clause).

I have updated to LGPL-2.1+ both for upstream source and debian/*.
Thanks for clarifying licensing issues to me.

> As far as I can tell, rsyntaxtextarea has not been uploaded to Debian
> yet, so debian/changelog should only be entry (only with the "* Initial
> release"-line). Though if you have had it rsyntaxtextarea downloadable
> from an unofficial APT-repository (e.g. a PPA) or your website, let me
> know and we keep both entries.

Yes, I have had the package downloadable from PPA.

> Last, there is a new standards version 3.9.2 (lintian might not warn
> about it because the date line in d/changelog is older than the release
> date of the new policy).

I have updated standards version to 3.9.2 and refreshed date
of the last entry in d/changelog.

Vladimir Kotov, vladimir at kotov.lv

Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-05-11 00:30, Vladimir Kotov wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> On 05/10/2011 12:50 PM, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> It mostly looks good, I only have couple of comments. You licensed the
>> debian packaging (incl. patches) as GPL-2. [...]
>>
>> Secondly the license of rsyntaxtextarea (I hate typing that >.>) is
>> LGPL-2.1+ (it has the "or any later" clause).
>
> I have updated to LGPL-2.1+ both for upstream source and debian/*.
> Thanks for clarifying licensing issues to me.
>
>> As far as I can tell, rsyntaxtextarea has not been uploaded to Debian
>> yet, so debian/changelog should only be entry (only with the "* Initial
>> release"-line). Though if you have had it rsyntaxtextarea downloadable
>> from an unofficial APT-repository (e.g. a PPA) or your website, let me
>> know and we keep both entries.
>
> Yes, I have had the package downloadable from PPA.
>
>> Last, there is a new standards version 3.9.2 (lintian might not warn
>> about it because the date line in d/changelog is older than the release
>> date of the new policy).
>
> I have updated standards version to 3.9.2 and refreshed date
> of the last entry in d/changelog.

Uploaded, thanks for your contribution to Debian. Since this is a new
package it will end up in the NEW queue for a second review by the FTP
masters.

I updated the changelog to explicitly mention which version was the
first to enter Debian, other than that it was uploaded as is. The
change was committed the SVN and it was also tagged.

~Niels

Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Vladimir Kotov

Hi Niels,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Niels Thykier wrote:

> Uploaded, thanks for your contribution to Debian. *Since this is a new
> package it will end up in the NEW queue for a second review by the FTP
> masters.
>
> I updated the changelog to explicitly mention which version was the
> first to enter Debian, other than that it was uploaded as is. *The
> change was committed the SVN and it was also tagged.

Thanks for sponsoring!

Vladimir Kotov, vladimir at kotov.lv