Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Onkar Shinde

Default RFS: jcharts 0.7.5-2

I am looking for sponsorship for jcharts 0.7.5-2. This will fix the
bug 594270. This revision adds a new -doc package so it will go
through binary new queue. I have committed the changes in pkg-java
svn.
Please note that jcharts uses lot of AWT APIs so we can not remove the
dependency on java runtime. But this revision makes it possible (at
least theoretically) to use it with runtimes other than OpenJDK or Sun
JRE.

Latest changelog for reference.
jcharts (0.7.5-2) unstable; urgency=low

* debian/patches/01_remove_old_functionality.diff
- Patch to exclude files that use Sun proprietary APIs and related changes.
(Closes: #594270)
* debian/control
- No need to use only OpenJDK or Sun JDK/JRE now. Updated (build-)deps
accordingly.
- Build against libservlet2.5-java instead of libservlet2.4-java.
- Add libjcharts-java-doc package containing API documentation.
- Update standards version to 3.9.2. No change needed.
* debian/rules
- Change JAVA_HOME to 'default-jdk' home.
- Use servlet-api-2.5 instead of servlet-api in build classpath.
- Build javadocs as well.
* debian/libjcharts-java-doc.install
- Install API documentation at appropriate place.
* Convert package to source format 3.0.

-- Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@ubuntu.com> Fri, 06 May 2011 10:27:01 +0530

Don't ask why - the reason is the same.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-05-06 07:49, Onkar Shinde wrote:
> I am looking for sponsorship for jcharts 0.7.5-2. This will fix the
> bug 594270. This revision adds a new -doc package so it will go
> through binary new queue. I have committed the changes in pkg-java
> svn.
> Please note that jcharts uses lot of AWT APIs so we can not remove the
> dependency on java runtime. But this revision makes it possible (at
> least theoretically) to use it with runtimes other than OpenJDK or Sun
> JRE.

Not entirely convinced by this, but I do support the "let the
applications depend on the JRE they need" philosophy. Nevertheless, if
you do keep the JREs for this package, please add a lintian override
(with rationale) for needless-dependency-on-jre (from lintian 2.5.0~rc3
or newer).
If it is a general issue with libraries should depend on JREs in
certain cases, please do file a bug against java-common to have the
policy amended.

What about the missing classpath entry in the installed jcharts jar
(missing-classpath tag emitted by lintian 2.5.0~rc3 as well).
Note lintian has a false-positive tag on the -doc package, which will
be fixed in the next lintian release.

> Latest changelog for reference.
> jcharts (0.7.5-2) unstable; urgency=low
>
> * debian/patches/01_remove_old_functionality.diff
> - Patch to exclude files that use Sun proprietary APIs and related changes.
> (Closes: #594270)
> * debian/control
> - No need to use only OpenJDK or Sun JDK/JRE now. Updated (build-)deps
> accordingly.

Unfortunately GCJ appears to choke on the javadoc generation, so we
probably have to keep the B-D as openjdk-6 and use openjdk-6 in
JAVA_HOME (probably with a note in d/rules as to why).
If you restore sun-java6 as alternative, please remember to make
d/rules pick up the JAVA_HOME for sun-java6 if openjdk-6 is not present.
(otherwise it will FTBFS if openjdk-6 is not installed).

> - Build against libservlet2.5-java instead of libservlet2.4-java.

Nice

> - Add libjcharts-java-doc package containing API documentation.

The doc package only needs to recommend the other doc packages; it still
works without them (although without them it will contain broken links)

> - Update standards version to 3.9.2. No change needed.
> * debian/rules
> - Change JAVA_HOME to 'default-jdk' home.
> - Use servlet-api-2.5 instead of servlet-api in build classpath.
> - Build javadocs as well.
> * debian/libjcharts-java-doc.install
> - Install API documentation at appropriate place.
> * Convert package to source format 3.0.
>
> -- Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@ubuntu.com> Fri, 06 May 2011 10:27:01 +0530

The build complains about "Target clean does not exist" and on a related
note it does appear to fail if you build it twice in a row (at least the
javadoc is not cleaned).

I think that should cover it.

~Niels

Old 05-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Onkar Shinde

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:

> On 2011-05-06 07:49, Onkar Shinde wrote:
>> I am looking for sponsorship for jcharts 0.7.5-2. This will fix the
>> bug 594270. This revision adds a new -doc package so it will go
>> through binary new queue. I have committed the changes in pkg-java
>> svn.
>> Please note that jcharts uses lot of AWT APIs so we can not remove the
>> dependency on java runtime. But this revision makes it possible (at
>> least theoretically) to use it with runtimes other than OpenJDK or Sun
>> JRE.
>>

> Not entirely convinced by this, but I do support the "let the
> applications depend on the JRE they need" philosophy. *Nevertheless, if
> you do keep the JREs for this package, please add a lintian override
> (with rationale) for needless-dependency-on-jre (from lintian 2.5.0~rc3
> or newer).

As per my understanding of code, jcharts uses AWT API for even basic
functionality. So it is not possible to use it with headless runtime.
That is the reason I kept dependencies on -jre/-runtime.

> *If it is a general issue with libraries should depend on JREs in
> certain cases, please do file a bug against java-common to have the
> policy amended.

Any idea what would be wording of such a bug report? Because I can not
come up with any. :-)

> What about the missing classpath entry in the installed jcharts jar
> (missing-classpath tag emitted by lintian 2.5.0~rc3 as well).
> *Note lintian has a false-positive tag on the -doc package, which will
> be fixed in the next lintian release.

Are you sure that all the tags you mentioned are part of lintian
2.5.0~rc3? I am running Debian testing and I didn't see any of those
tags.

>> Latest changelog for reference.
>> jcharts (0.7.5-2) unstable; urgency=low
>>
>> * * debian/patches/01_remove_old_functionality.diff
>> * * - Patch to exclude files that use Sun proprietary APIs and related changes.
>> * * * (Closes: #594270)
>> * * debian/control
>> * * - No need to use only OpenJDK or Sun JDK/JRE now. Updated (build-)deps
>> * * * accordingly.
>
> Unfortunately GCJ appears to choke on the javadoc generation, so we
> probably have to keep the B-D as openjdk-6 and use openjdk-6 in
> JAVA_HOME (probably with a note in d/rules as to why).

How many supported architectures have GCJ as default java? I will
surely change build-dep if there is a high chance that someone will
try to rebuild the package (on buildd or otherwise) with GCJ as
default java.

> *If you restore sun-java6 as alternative, please remember to make
> d/rules pick up the JAVA_HOME for sun-java6 if openjdk-6 is not present.
> (otherwise it will FTBFS if openjdk-6 is not installed).

I will not setup Sun JDK as alternate build dependency because the
number of arch where Sun JDK is available is even less than OpenJDK.
Also I am not inclined to add alternative build-dep on non-free
package.

>> * * - Build against libservlet2.5-java instead of libservlet2.4-java.
>
> Nice
>
>> * * - Add libjcharts-java-doc package containing API documentation.
>
> The doc package only needs to recommend the other doc packages; it still
> works without them (although without them it will contain broken links)

Sounds ok. I will move them to recommends.

>> * * - Update standards version to 3.9.2. No change needed.
>> * * debian/rules
>> * * - Change JAVA_HOME to 'default-jdk' home.
>> * * - Use servlet-api-2.5 instead of servlet-api in build classpath.
>> * * - Build javadocs as well.
>> * * debian/libjcharts-java-doc.install
>> * * - Install API documentation at appropriate place.
>> * * Convert package to source format 3.0.
>>
>> *-- Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@ubuntu.com> *Fri, 06 May 2011 10:27:01 +0530
>>

> The build complains about "Target clean does not exist" and on a related
> note it does appear to fail if you build it twice in a row (at least the
> javadoc is not cleaned).

Upstream ships generated javadoc in source root in javadocs directory.
But the build system generates javadocs in build/javadocs directory. I
think since there is no clean target, the clean rule in debian/rules
should delete the 'build' directory (currently it only deletes certain
parts of it).
I will fix this.

I will reply when I am done with certain changes. Meanwhile we can
continue the discussion on debatable topics. :-)

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-05-06 14:48, Onkar Shinde wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 2011-05-06 07:49, Onkar Shinde wrote:
>>> I am looking for sponsorship for jcharts 0.7.5-2. This will fix the
>>> bug 594270. This revision adds a new -doc package so it will go
>>> through binary new queue. I have committed the changes in pkg-java
>>> svn.
>>> Please note that jcharts uses lot of AWT APIs so we can not remove the
>>> dependency on java runtime. But this revision makes it possible (at
>>> least theoretically) to use it with runtimes other than OpenJDK or Sun
>>> JRE.
>>>

>> Not entirely convinced by this, but I do support the "let the
>> applications depend on the JRE they need" philosophy. Nevertheless, if
>> you do keep the JREs for this package, please add a lintian override
>> (with rationale) for needless-dependency-on-jre (from lintian 2.5.0~rc3
>> or newer).
>
> As per my understanding of code, jcharts uses AWT API for even basic
> functionality. So it is not possible to use it with headless runtime.
> That is the reason I kept dependencies on -jre/-runtime.
>
>> If it is a general issue with libraries should depend on JREs in
>> certain cases, please do file a bug against java-common to have the
>> policy amended.
>
> Any idea what would be wording of such a bug report? Because I can not
> come up with any. :-)

In general we can always figure out the exact wording later as long as
we recognise the policy does not reflect the reality in a reasonable
amount of cases. Though I do not know if this is the case here; if you
think so, we can bring it up (either on list or as a bug against
java-common).

>> What about the missing classpath entry in the installed jcharts jar
>> (missing-classpath tag emitted by lintian 2.5.0~rc3 as well).
>> Note lintian has a false-positive tag on the -doc package, which will
>> be fixed in the next lintian release.
>
> Are you sure that all the tags you mentioned are part of lintian
> 2.5.0~rc3? I am running Debian testing and I didn't see any of those
> tags.

Yes, I am pretty sure they are in 2.5.0~rc3: missing-classpath was added
in 2.5.0~rc3 and needless-dependency-on-jre in 2.5.0~rc1. Particularly
needless-dependency-on-jre had a false-positive reported against it that
I fixed in 2.5.0~rc3 (#622396) and the missing-classpath check was a
part of Vincent's Java checks (#620829)

>>> Latest changelog for reference.
>>> jcharts (0.7.5-2) unstable; urgency=low
>>>
>>> * debian/patches/01_remove_old_functionality.diff
>>> - Patch to exclude files that use Sun proprietary APIs and related changes.
>>> (Closes: #594270)
>>> * debian/control
>>> - No need to use only OpenJDK or Sun JDK/JRE now. Updated (build-)deps
>>> accordingly.
>>
>> Unfortunately GCJ appears to choke on the javadoc generation, so we
>> probably have to keep the B-D as openjdk-6 and use openjdk-6 in
>> JAVA_HOME (probably with a note in d/rules as to why).
>
> How many supported architectures have GCJ as default java? I will
> surely change build-dep if there is a high chance that someone will
> try to rebuild the package (on buildd or otherwise) with GCJ as
> default java.

I believe default java is:

openjdk-6 on alpha amd64 armel i386 ia64 mipsel powerpc powerpcspe s390
sh4 sparc

gcj on hppa hurd-i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips sparc64

So reasonable amount still have gcj.

>> If you restore sun-java6 as alternative, please remember to make
>> d/rules pick up the JAVA_HOME for sun-java6 if openjdk-6 is not present.
>> (otherwise it will FTBFS if openjdk-6 is not installed).
>
> I will not setup Sun JDK as alternate build dependency because the
> number of arch where Sun JDK is available is even less than OpenJDK.
> Also I am not inclined to add alternative build-dep on non-free
> package.

Sure.

>>> - Build against libservlet2.5-java instead of libservlet2.4-java.
>>
>> Nice
>>
>>> - Add libjcharts-java-doc package containing API documentation.
>>
>> The doc package only needs to recommend the other doc packages; it still
>> works without them (although without them it will contain broken links)
>
> Sounds ok. I will move them to recommends.
>

>>> - Update standards version to 3.9.2. No change needed.
>>> * debian/rules
>>> - Change JAVA_HOME to 'default-jdk' home.
>>> - Use servlet-api-2.5 instead of servlet-api in build classpath.
>>> - Build javadocs as well.
>>> * debian/libjcharts-java-doc.install
>>> - Install API documentation at appropriate place.
>>> * Convert package to source format 3.0.
>>>
>>> -- Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@ubuntu.com> Fri, 06 May 2011 10:27:01 +0530
>>>

>> The build complains about "Target clean does not exist" and on a related
>> note it does appear to fail if you build it twice in a row (at least the
>> javadoc is not cleaned).
>
> Upstream ships generated javadoc in source root in javadocs directory.
> But the build system generates javadocs in build/javadocs directory. I
> think since there is no clean target, the clean rule in debian/rules
> should delete the 'build' directory (currently it only deletes certain
> parts of it).
> I will fix this.
>
> I will reply when I am done with certain changes. Meanwhile we can
> continue the discussion on debatable topics. :-)
>

> Onkar

Good

~Niels

Old 05-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Onkar Shinde

On 5/6/11, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:

> On 2011-05-06 14:48, Onkar Shinde wrote:

>>> Not entirely convinced by this, but I do support the "let the
>>> applications depend on the JRE they need" philosophy. Nevertheless, if
>>> you do keep the JREs for this package, please add a lintian override
>>> (with rationale) for needless-dependency-on-jre (from lintian 2.5.0~rc3
>>> or newer).
>>
>> As per my understanding of code, jcharts uses AWT API for even basic
>> functionality. So it is not possible to use it with headless runtime.
>> That is the reason I kept dependencies on -jre/-runtime.
>>
>>> If it is a general issue with libraries should depend on JREs in
>>> certain cases, please do file a bug against java-common to have the
>>> policy amended.
>>
>> Any idea what would be wording of such a bug report? Because I can not
>> come up with any. :-)
>>

> In general we can always figure out the exact wording later as long as
> we recognise the policy does not reflect the reality in a reasonable
> amount of cases. Though I do not know if this is the case here; if you
> think so, we can bring it up (either on list or as a bug against
> java-common).

This one seems probably a special case. So I am not raising the issue yet.

>>> What about the missing classpath entry in the installed jcharts jar
>>> (missing-classpath tag emitted by lintian 2.5.0~rc3 as well).
>>> Note lintian has a false-positive tag on the -doc package, which will
>>> be fixed in the next lintian release.
>>
>> Are you sure that all the tags you mentioned are part of lintian
>> 2.5.0~rc3? I am running Debian testing and I didn't see any of those
>> tags.
>>

> Yes, I am pretty sure they are in 2.5.0~rc3: missing-classpath was added
> in 2.5.0~rc3 and needless-dependency-on-jre in 2.5.0~rc1. Particularly
> needless-dependency-on-jre had a false-positive reported against it that
> I fixed in 2.5.0~rc3 (#622396) and the missing-classpath check was a
> part of Vincent's Java checks (#620829)

My mistake. lintian was not at 2.5.0~rc3 on my machine.

>>> Unfortunately GCJ appears to choke on the javadoc generation, so we
>>> probably have to keep the B-D as openjdk-6 and use openjdk-6 in
>>> JAVA_HOME (probably with a note in d/rules as to why).
>>
>> How many supported architectures have GCJ as default java? I will
>> surely change build-dep if there is a high chance that someone will
>> try to rebuild the package (on buildd or otherwise) with GCJ as
>> default java.
>>

> I believe default java is:
>
> openjdk-6 on alpha amd64 armel i386 ia64 mipsel powerpc powerpcspe s390
> sh4 sparc
>
> gcj on hppa hurd-i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips sparc64
>
> So reasonable amount still have gcj.

Quite a few of them are not officially supported architectures. Anyway
I changed back the build-dep and JAVA_HOME.

>>> If you restore sun-java6 as alternative, please remember to make
>>> d/rules pick up the JAVA_HOME for sun-java6 if openjdk-6 is not present.
>>> (otherwise it will FTBFS if openjdk-6 is not installed).
>>
>> I will not setup Sun JDK as alternate build dependency because the
>> number of arch where Sun JDK is available is even less than OpenJDK.
>> Also I am not inclined to add alternative build-dep on non-free
>> package.
>>

> Sure.

>>> Nice

>>> The doc package only needs to recommend the other doc packages; it still
>>> works without them (although without them it will contain broken links)
>>
>> Sounds ok. I will move them to recommends.

>>> The build complains about "Target clean does not exist" and on a related
>>> note it does appear to fail if you build it twice in a row (at least the
>>> javadoc is not cleaned).
>>
>> Upstream ships generated javadoc in source root in javadocs directory.
>> But the build system generates javadocs in build/javadocs directory. I
>> think since there is no clean target, the clean rule in debian/rules
>> should delete the 'build' directory (currently it only deletes certain
>> parts of it).
>> I will fix this.
>>
>> I will reply when I am done with certain changes. Meanwhile we can
>> continue the discussion on debatable topics. :-)

Fixed rest of the comments. Updated files are in pkg-java svn. Please
review (and upload).

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 PM