Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Andreas Tille

Default Next Maven problem (Was: Medical device support for GNUmed)

Hi Jeff,

thanks for pushing me a bit - I did not forgot your request, but somehow
there are several tasks at the same time. As far as I understood the
build process in Debian using maven and maven-debian-helper there is a
chance to avoid the "nasty habit of requiring access to the outside
world". This can be approached by using mh_make and thus I tried

mh_make --from-svn=http://svn.freemedsoftware.org/freemed-utilities/shim/tags/0.1.0/

which unfortunately failed with

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Cannot execute mojo: generate. It requires a project with an existing pom.xml, but the build is not using one.

I have no idea what this might mean.

My second approach was to start with your preparation and enhance the
debian/dir a bit. I used the orig.tar.gz tarball[1] and committed the
packaging directory to Debian Med SVN[2]

[1] http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/shim/shim_0.1.1.orig.tar.gz
[2] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/shim/trunk

While this build process does not need network access it is missing
some preconditions:

0) POM 'org.mortbay.jetty:maven-jetty-plugin' not found in repository: System is offline.

1) com.google.code.gson:gson:jar:debian
2) org.rxtx:rxtx:jar:debian
(which is a bit strange because I added librxtx-java)
3) org.tmatesoft.sqljet:sqljet:jar:debian
4) org.reflections:reflections:jar:debian

I did not further investigations so far but it seems we might need some
extra prerequisites packaged for Debian first.

Any help to proceed from here is welcome.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Nicholas Bamber

I am also finding java packaging frustrating. I;'ve hit the problem that
maven-ant-tasks needed upgraded. Then I hit the problem that
maven-invoker-plugin. Now I am stuck.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello Andreas,

The mh_make command worked quite well on my computer. As it uses
subversion to download the sources, check that it's installed on your
computer as well.

Here is my full session with mh_make:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/596728/

There are some dependencies which don't seem to have Debian packaging -
or maybe it's there but in Debian experimental or unstable.
Can you search if they have been packaged, otherwise mvnrepository.com
should help you to locate the upstream projects for those dependencies.

org.hsqldb:hsqldb:2.0.0
org.reflections:reflections:0.9.5-RC2
org.rxtx:rxtx:2.2pre2

Ludovic

Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 PM
"Tim O'Brien"

Why has this community taken the repository and made it so damn
confusing? What's the deal with rewriting all these POMs?

Tim O'Brien

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Nicholas Bamber <nicholas@periapt.co.uk> wrote:
> I am also finding java packaging frustrating. I;'ve hit the problem that
> maven-ant-tasks needed upgraded. Then I hit the problem that
> maven-invoker-plugin. Now I am stuck.
>
> On 20/04/11 22:08, Andreas Tille wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> thanks for pushing me a bit - I did not forgot your request, but somehow
>> there are several tasks at the same time. *As far as I understood the
>> build process in Debian using maven and maven-debian-helper there is a
>> chance to avoid the "nasty habit of requiring access to the outside
>> world". *This can be approached by using mh_make and thus I tried
>>
>> * mh_make
>> --from-svn=http://svn.freemedsoftware.org/freemed-utilities/shim/tags/0.1.0/
>>
>> which unfortunately failed with
>>
>> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>> [INFO]
>> [INFO] Cannot execute mojo: generate. It requires a project with an
>> existing pom.xml, but the build is not using one.
>>
>> I have no idea what this might mean.
>>
>> My second approach was to start with your preparation and enhance the
>> debian/dir a bit. *I used the orig.tar.gz tarball[1] and committed the
>> packaging directory to Debian Med SVN[2]
>>
>> [1] http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/shim/shim_0.1.1.orig.tar.gz
>> [2] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/shim/trunk
>>
>> While this build process does not need network access it is missing
>> some preconditions:
>>
>> 0) POM 'org.mortbay.jetty:maven-jetty-plugin' not found in repository:
>> System is offline.
>>
>> 1) com.google.code.gson:gson:jar:debian
>> 2) org.rxtx:rxtx:jar:debian
>> * *(which is a bit strange because I added librxtx-java)
>> 3) org.tmatesoft.sqljet:sqljet:jar:debian
>> 4) org.reflections:reflections:jar:debian
>>
>> I did not further investigations so far but it seems we might need some
>> extra prerequisites packaged for Debian first.
>>
>> Any help to proceed from here is welcome.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> * * *Andreas.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 02:01:59PM -0400, Jeff Buchbinder wrote:
>>>
>>> Following up, I'm attaching basic packaging for FreeSHIM. I split out
>>> the proprietary driver, for which I can create a separate package, but
>>> for now, here's the GPL-only code and packaging information.
>>>
>>> I had tried to create a version for Ubuntu's "launchpad" PPAs, but as
>>> Maven has a nasty habit of requiring access to the outside world, it
>>> would require me quite messily including *every dependent package*
>>> locally to work, so I have shelved that effort temporarily.
>>>
>>> If this looks good, I can do the same for REMITT.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jeff

Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Jeff Buchbinder

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Tim O'Brien <tobrien@discursive.com> wrote:
> Why has this community taken the repository and made it so damn
> confusing? * What's the deal with rewriting all these POMs?

Another way of dealing with it is simply caching all of the required
packages locally, then doing something like this:

find . | grep debian/.m2 | grep jar$ | cut -d/ -f2- >
debian/source/include-binaries

to cache all of the dependencies. The "magic" I had been using to
create the settings file was:

create_maven_settings:
echo "<settings xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.1.0.xsd">" >
debian/maven-settings.xml
echo "<localRepository>`pwd`/debian/.m2</localRepository>" >>
debian/maven-settings.xml
echo "<offline>true</offline>" >> debian/maven-settings.xml
echo "</settings>" >> debian/maven-settings.xml

If you create the file without offline == true, execute "mvn -s
debian/maven-settings.xml" for targets clean and package, everything
should be okay. It's not necessarily the cleanest method, but it
should allow offline building. Especially without individually
packaging every dependency, which can not only be a real pain, but can
be very difficult, since many projects have odd and unusual
dependencies.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Jeff Buchbinder

I pushed a working copy (though possibly not a very "elegant" packaging) here:

https://launchpad.net/~rufustfirefly/+archive/ppa/+buildjob/2489799/+files/shim_0.1.1-1ubuntu2~maverick_all.deb

which is available through my PPA (and will be available shortly in
the Debian Med one as well).

Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Andreas Tille

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 06:32:53PM -0500, Tim O'Brien wrote:
> What's the deal with rewriting all these POMs?

I removed maven-javadoc-plugin from all pom.xml files because otherwise
the build process failed much earlier. This was the only motivation.
Any better way to proceed to the same state in packaging without
patching the pom.xml files would be welcome.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Andreas Tille

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 08:28:45PM -0400, Jeff Buchbinder wrote:
> Another way of dealing with it is simply caching all of the required
> packages locally, then doing something like this:
>
> find . | grep debian/.m2 | grep jar$ | cut -d/ -f2- >
> debian/source/include-binaries
>
> to cache all of the dependencies. The "magic" I had been using to
> create the settings file was:
>
> create_maven_settings:
> echo "<settings xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0"
> xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0
> http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.1.0.xsd">" >
> debian/maven-settings.xml
> echo "<localRepository>`pwd`/debian/.m2</localRepository>" >>
> debian/maven-settings.xml
> echo "<offline>true</offline>" >> debian/maven-settings.xml
> echo "</settings>" >> debian/maven-settings.xml

I have seen this in your rules file. While this finally leads to a
*.deb of some sort this will not work for the official Debian repository
because there is a strict requirement to build without external sources
(be them cached or not).

> If you create the file without offline == true, execute "mvn -s
> debian/maven-settings.xml" for targets clean and package, everything
> should be okay. It's not necessarily the cleanest method, but it
> should allow offline building. Especially without individually
> packaging every dependency, which can not only be a real pain, but can
> be very difficult, since many projects have odd and unusual
> dependencies.

I'm not against pragmatic solutions which work and if this solves your
specific problem to ship shim as easily installable *.deb that's OK.
However, for an inclusion into Debian we need to go the hard and stony
way. For instance it is a no go to have some code which is not covered
by a license statement in debian/copyright (which is for those cached
projects in your method the case).

I have the feeling that 2011 might be the year of Java applications in
Debian Med and perhaps we might make some progress in pushing things a
bit foreward. Please keep us informed about any news in shim and
meanwhile we try to work out ways to get the predependencies packaged.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Andreas Tille

Hi Ludovic,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:33:43AM +0200, Ludovic Claude wrote:

> The mh_make command worked quite well on my computer. As it uses
> subversion to download the sources, check that it's installed on your
> computer as well.

For sure I have installed subversion. :-)

> Here is my full session with mh_make:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/596728/

That's interesting. Could you provide the resulting files somewhere
for download?

> There are some dependencies which don't seem to have Debian packaging -
> or maybe it's there but in Debian experimental or unstable.
> Can you search if they have been packaged, otherwise mvnrepository.com
> should help you to locate the upstream projects for those dependencies.
>
> org.hsqldb:hsqldb:2.0.0
> org.reflections:reflections:0.9.5-RC2

I came to the same conclusion that those two are missing. However,

> org.rxtx:rxtx:2.2pre2

$ LANG=en apt-cache policy librxtx-java
librxtx-java:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2.2pre2-8
Version table:
2.2pre2-8 0
501 http://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
50 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages

The specified version is just packaged for Debian. Is there any chance
that this package is broken and does not register its content in a
proper way?

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Torsten Werner

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:33:43AM +0200, Ludovic Claude wrote:
>> org.hsqldb:hsqldb:2.0.0
>> org.reflections:reflections:0.9.5-RC2
>
> I came to the same conclusion that those two are missing. *However,
>
>> org.rxtx:rxtx:2.2pre2
>
> $ LANG=en apt-cache policy librxtx-java

the best way to search for jars or classes is to zgrep through
<http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/jar-content.txt.gz>. It is
generated once a day for unstable.

> The specified version is just packaged for Debian. *Is there any chance
> that this package is broken and does not register its content in a
> proper way?

You need to check if the deb package ships the pom files. It is often
easy to add them if they are missing.

Cheers,
Torsten