FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Java

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Onkar Shinde
 
Default RFS: cdk 1.2.7-1

Hi,

I need sponsorship for package cdk 1.2.7-1. The packaging bits are in
pkg-java svn repository.

Latest changelog for reference.
cdk (1:1.2.7-1) unstable; urgency=low

* New upstream release. (Closes: #519969)
* debian/control
- Add build dependency ant-controb, libxpp3-java, r-cran-java.
- Update runtime dependency to java5-runtime-headless.
- Standards version 3.9.1. No change needed.
* debian/patches
- series - Use quilt for patches.
- 10-MakeJavafilesFiles.patch, 20-Java5.patch - Delete. Not needed anymore.
- 21_vecmath_lib_name.patch - Update against current source.
- 22_fix_build.patch - New patch to fix build.
* debian/compile.excludes
- File name patterns to exclude from compilation process. This file is used
by 22_fix_build.patch.
* debian/README.Debian
- Explain that some modules are built partially.
* debian/rules
- Additional 'COMPONENTS' as per current source.
- Drop simple-patchsys.mk as we are using source format 3.0.
* debian/libcdk-java.install
- Remove. Not needed as the install logic is in rules file.
* debian/source/format
- Switch to source format 3.0.
* debian/README.source
- Remove. Not needed with source format 3.0.
* debian/watch
- Keep track of stable versions only.

-- Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@ubuntu.com> Sat, 26 Mar 2011 21:22:40 +0530

--
Passion - Some people climb mountains - others write Free software.
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTik=sDfoqkxd7PgvR=n853MzqunRkg@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTik=sDfoqkxd7PgvR=n853MzqunRkg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Egon Willighagen
 
Default RFS: cdk 1.2.7-1

Hi Onkar,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need sponsorship for package cdk 1.2.7-1. The packaging bits are in
> pkg-java svn repository.

Thanx for doing this!

> Latest changelog for reference.
> cdk (1:1.2.7-1) unstable; urgency=low
> ** debian/patches
> * *- series - Use quilt for patches.
> * *- 10-MakeJavafilesFiles.patch, 20-Java5.patch - Delete. Not needed anymore.
> * *- 21_vecmath_lib_name.patch - Update against current source.
> * *- 22_fix_build.patch - New patch to fix build.

Can you please file patch 21 and 22 'upstream'? Preferably as Git
patches, but the raw Debian patches are fine with me too:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=20024&atid=320024

If non-git patches, is the name and email you sent this message with
OK for me to use as 'author' info, when I apply the patches? (Though I
will need to check them first...)

Moreover, 1.2.8 has been release, which should be simple to update
for. It has only bug fixes, but important ones.

Egon


--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher
Institutet för miljömedicin
Karolinska Institutet (http://ki.se/imm)
Homepage: http://egonw.github.com/
LinkedIn: http://se.linkedin.com/in/egonw
Blog: http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/
PubList: http://www.citeulike.org/user/egonw/tag/papers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTimfBTHS7WaPmvh-RuBivK-v2f6i8A@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTimfBTHS7WaPmvh-RuBivK-v2f6i8A@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Onkar Shinde
 
Default RFS: cdk 1.2.7-1

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Egon Willighagen
<egon.willighagen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Onkar,
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need sponsorship for package cdk 1.2.7-1. The packaging bits are in
>> pkg-java svn repository.
>
> Thanx for doing this!
>
>> Latest changelog for reference.
>> cdk (1:1.2.7-1) unstable; urgency=low
>> ** debian/patches
>> * *- series - Use quilt for patches.
>> * *- 10-MakeJavafilesFiles.patch, 20-Java5.patch - Delete. Not needed anymore.
>> * *- 21_vecmath_lib_name.patch - Update against current source.
>> * *- 22_fix_build.patch - New patch to fix build.
>
> Can you please file patch 21 and 22 'upstream'? Preferably as Git
> patches, but the raw Debian patches are fine with me too:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=20024&atid=320024
>
> If non-git patches, is the name and email you sent this message with
> OK for me to use as 'author' info, when I apply the patches? (Though I
> will need to check them first...)

All changes in these patches may not be applicable to upstream. I will
check which ones are applicable and send patches accordingly.

>
> Moreover, 1.2.8 has been release, which should be simple to update
> for. It has only bug fixes, but important ones.

I will try to update the package.


Onkar
--
Passion - Some people climb mountains - others write Free software.
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinfhR9A=6t-Jcr6t0txUfJVCV6jpQ@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinfhR9A=6t-Jcr6t0txUfJVCV6jpQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Egon Willighagen
 
Default RFS: cdk 1.2.7-1

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Egon Willighagen
> <egon.willighagen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can you please file patch 21 and 22 'upstream'? Preferably as Git
>> patches, but the raw Debian patches are fine with me too:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=20024&atid=320024
>>
>> If non-git patches, is the name and email you sent this message with
>> OK for me to use as 'author' info, when I apply the patches? (Though I
>> will need to check them first...)
>
> All changes in these patches may not be applicable to upstream. I will
> check which ones are applicable and send patches accordingly.

That I can decide on when you uploaded them... Some patches may be
done differently... e.g. for Debian I had set up a scheme that takes
care of different jar names, which would make the patch much
smaller...

What I am rather trying to say, is that the patch indicates a
deficiency in the build system, and I am eager to make the build
system is good as possible, so that your work involves as minimal as
patching as possible...

The vecmath patch is an interesting example, and could simply be
solved upstream by renaming the jar according to Debian guidelines.
The same for log4j and xom, but I note that with log4j you are
actually *adding* the version number, rather than removing it.

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher
Institutet för miljömedicin
Karolinska Institutet (http://ki.se/imm)
Homepage: http://egonw.github.com/
LinkedIn: http://se.linkedin.com/in/egonw
Blog: http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/
PubList: http://www.citeulike.org/user/egonw/tag/papers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTimG5wSwOnxBU7kON9wY8uSwc_2vrg@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTimG5wSwOnxBU7kON9wY8uSwc_2vrg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Onkar Shinde
 
Default RFS: cdk 1.2.7-1

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Egon Willighagen
<egon.willighagen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Egon Willighagen
>> <egon.willighagen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can you please file patch 21 and 22 'upstream'? Preferably as Git
>>> patches, but the raw Debian patches are fine with me too:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=20024&atid=320024
>>>
>>> If non-git patches, is the name and email you sent this message with
>>> OK for me to use as 'author' info, when I apply the patches? (Though I
>>> will need to check them first...)
>>
>> All changes in these patches may not be applicable to upstream. I will
>> check which ones are applicable and send patches accordingly.
>
> That I can decide on when you uploaded them... Some patches may be
> done differently... e.g. for Debian I had set up a scheme that takes
> care of different jar names, which would make the patch much
> smaller...
>
> What I am rather trying to say, is that the patch indicates a
> deficiency in the build system, and I am eager to make the build
> system is good as possible, so that your work involves as minimal as
> patching as possible...
>
> The vecmath patch is an interesting example, and could simply be
> solved upstream by renaming the jar according to Debian guidelines.
> The same for log4j and xom, but I note that with log4j you are
> actually *adding* the version number, rather than removing it.

When java libraries are packaged in Debian the jar files are named
<libraryname>-<version>.jar and there is a symlink present with name
<libraryname>.jar. The reason that I replaced all the versioned name
in various dependencies with version less name is that the version
used by cdk may not be matching with Debian version. Log4j is special
case that it's jar names do not comply with this policies.
We do not expect upstream developers to change their build system to
cope with Debian policies.
As of now the only suggestion I can give is to improve build system is
to not use specific jar names in build dependencies but load all jar
files form a directory.
ex.
<fileset dir="${lib.dir}">
<include name="*.jar"
</fileset>
This way the lib.dir can be overriden using ant arguments when
building package in Debian.

Anyway let me know which branch to use to generate git patches and I
will send them. Trunk or any 1.2.x specific branch?

Cheers,
Onkar
--
Passion - Some people climb mountains - others write Free software.
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTikzLEZ8R9b6Frp7=C=Z-JQNB5g+WQ@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTikzLEZ8R9b6Frp7=C=Z-JQNB5g+WQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Egon Willighagen
 
Default RFS: cdk 1.2.7-1

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@gmail.com> wrote:
> When java libraries are packaged in Debian the jar files are named
> <libraryname>-<version>.jar and there is a symlink present with name
> <libraryname>.jar. The reason that I replaced all the versioned name
> in various dependencies with version less name is that the version
> used by cdk may not be matching with Debian version. Log4j is special
> case that it's jar names do not comply with this policies.
> We do not expect upstream developers to change their build system to
> cope with Debian policies.

That's fine... I am offering to make it easier (if possible). That's
why I was/am interested in the patches...

> As of now the only suggestion I can give is to improve build system is
> to not use specific jar names in build dependencies but load all jar
> files form a directory.
> ex.
> <fileset dir="${lib.dir}">
> *<include name="*.jar"
> </fileset>

Mmm... that's a suggestion I am not happy about to hear

I like the system to fail when a dependency has not be defined, so
that we clearly see what the dependencies are.

> This way the lib.dir can be overriden using ant arguments when
> building package in Debian.
>
> Anyway let me know which branch to use to generate git patches and I
> will send them. Trunk or any 1.2.x specific branch?

cdk-1.2.x branch.

https://github.com/cdk/cdk/tree/cdk-1.2.x

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher
Institutet för miljömedicin
Karolinska Institutet (http://ki.se/imm)
Homepage: http://egonw.github.com/
LinkedIn: http://se.linkedin.com/in/egonw
Blog: http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/
PubList: http://www.citeulike.org/user/egonw/tag/papers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinU854J8HvjbcgoA-ydHJKAEB6jeg@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinU854J8HvjbcgoA-ydHJKAEB6jeg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 AM
tony mancill
 
Default RFS: cdk 1.2.7-1

Hi Onkar,

I corrected one minor typo in the changelog (s/controb/contrib) and have
uploaded to unstable.

Thanks for updating the package,
tony

On 04/17/2011 09:56 PM, Onkar Shinde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need sponsorship for package cdk 1.2.7-1. The packaging bits are in
> pkg-java svn repository.
>
> Latest changelog for reference.
> cdk (1:1.2.7-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
> * New upstream release. (Closes: #519969)
> * debian/control
> - Add build dependency ant-controb, libxpp3-java, r-cran-java.
> - Update runtime dependency to java5-runtime-headless.
> - Standards version 3.9.1. No change needed.
> * debian/patches
> - series - Use quilt for patches.
> - 10-MakeJavafilesFiles.patch, 20-Java5.patch - Delete. Not needed anymore.
> - 21_vecmath_lib_name.patch - Update against current source.
> - 22_fix_build.patch - New patch to fix build.
> * debian/compile.excludes
> - File name patterns to exclude from compilation process. This file is used
> by 22_fix_build.patch.
> * debian/README.Debian
> - Explain that some modules are built partially.
> * debian/rules
> - Additional 'COMPONENTS' as per current source.
> - Drop simple-patchsys.mk as we are using source format 3.0.
> * debian/libcdk-java.install
> - Remove. Not needed as the install logic is in rules file.
> * debian/source/format
> - Switch to source format 3.0.
> * debian/README.source
> - Remove. Not needed with source format 3.0.
> * debian/watch
> - Keep track of stable versions only.
>
> -- Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@ubuntu.com> Sat, 26 Mar 2011 21:22:40 +0530
>
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org