Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Andrew Ross

Default RFS: libitext5-java (updated package)

Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 5.0.6+svn4804-1
of my package "libitext5-java".

It builds these binary packages:
libitext5-java - Java Library to create and manipulate PDF on the fly
libitext5-java-doc - Java Library to create and manipulate PDF on the
fly (documentation)

I have packaged a version from the upstream svn repository because I had
the previous version removed from the archives due to questions about
the license. I believe these are now resolved, through upstream making a
change to their license terms.

main contrib non-free
- dget
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libitext5-java/libitext5-java_5.0.6+svn4804-1.dsc

It can also be found in the Debian Java SVN repository:
Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/libitext5-java
Vcs-Browser: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-java/trunk/libitext5-java

Kind regards
Andrew Ross

Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Andreas Tille

Hi,

just for the record: I will sponsor this because I'm strongly interested
in having it back in Debian. Thanks Andrew for your work.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Andreas Tille

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:11:06AM +0100, Andrew Ross wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 5.0.6+svn4804-1
> of my package "libitext5-java".

I have checked your package and have some remark to the rules file which
might be based on my vague knowledge about Java packaging. So if this
is a usual thing to do my concern might be void. I have seen that you
are Build-Depending from cdbs and you do

include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/buildvars.mk

and the remaining code in debian/rules is pure dh stuff with override_*
targets. I doubt that this mix of build systems is a good idea and I
wonder whether your changelog entry

* Moved to using the basic javahelper builder

is connected to a switch to a short debhelper notation and the cdbs
code is just a useless remaining which should rather be removed.

As a further remark I would like to point out that latest Debian stable
release contains debhelper 8 and in the teams I'm working for we now
use debhelper (>=8) and debian/compat contains 8.

In addition Standards-Version should be probably bumped to 3.9.2.

I just to make sure that the way your package is builded is in line with
the Debian Java policy. If yes, I will sponsor the package as it is.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Andrew Ross

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for looking through the package. I'm still including
/usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/buildvars.mk in order to get a definition for
$(DEB_SRCDIR) where I need to create a symlink during the build. I could
copy this definition from the cdbs file, but it seems better to me to
include it.

As far as I can tell, we're still using debhelper (>= 7.0.50~) in
control files, since we don't actually require version 8.

I've increased the standards version to 3.9.2 as you suggest - I
couldn't find any changes that affect this particular package.

I've uploaded an updated version to mentors.debian.net.

Thanks for your time looking at the package.

Andrew

Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Andreas Tille

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 09:05:52AM +0100, Andrew Ross wrote:
> Thanks for looking through the package. I'm still including
> /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/buildvars.mk in order to get a definition for
> $(DEB_SRCDIR) where I need to create a symlink during the build. I could
> copy this definition from the cdbs file, but it seems better to me to
> include it.

Well, I just made the experience that sometimes cdbs simply conflicts
with dh (I do not remember whether buildvars.mk is amongst those
conflicting parts) but if it is only because of the definition of
$(DEB_SRCDIR) you could probably use $(CURDIR) (which also resolves to
"." as well as $(DEB_SRCDIR) if I'm not totally wrong and miss the point
inside some Java helpers. If this is the only reason I would replace
the cdbs stuff by $(CURDIR) (just tested the build) - but I definitely
respect your decision to stick with cdbs. I just want to know that you
really mean what you wrote.

> As far as I can tell, we're still using debhelper (>= 7.0.50~) in
> control files, since we don't actually require version 8.

Fine for me if this is Java packaging group policy.

> I've increased the standards version to 3.9.2 as you suggest - I
> couldn't find any changes that affect this particular package.
>
> I've uploaded an updated version to mentors.debian.net.

Thanks.

> Thanks for your time looking at the package.

As I said - I have some real interest in this package.

BTW, now lintian claims:

W: libitext5-java-doc: debian-changelog-line-too-long line 3

and I think it should be noted somehow that the increase of
the Standards-Version did not neded any further change in the
packaging. I use to write something like

* Updated standards version to 3.9.2 (no changes needed)

Thanks for your quick response. I promise I'll upload your next version
respecting the decision you have drawn. There is no real need to
follow my arguing - I just wanted to give some points to think about.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de