Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Martin Quinson

Default Hello list

Hello,

I'm new to the list so I'm writing this little introduction about
myself. I'm a DD since quite a while but was never involved in any java
packaging effort, and actually, my DD skills are a bit rotten by a
period of reduced activity. So I won't get offensed if you treat me like
a beginner, that's not that far from what I am :-/

I am also the upstream of the Java Learning Machine, which is a neat
Learning Management System to teach programming to absolute beginners.
The project homepage is here: http://www.loria.fr/~quinson/Teaching/JLM/

I decided to package this into debian because the project is quite
mature (we're using it in real teaching settings since several years
now) and I hope that it would help others, too.

There is several missing dependencies that I plan to package too:
* irclib, a Java IRC implementation (to allow the students to chat and
discuss their difficulties together) ITP filled #622326

* jsyntaxpane, an easy to use JEditorKit
http://code.google.com/p/jsyntaxpane ITP to be filled today.

* twitter4j -- A Java library for the Twitter API, ITP already existing
#613297 (to post students successes on twitter)

nthykier added me to the alioth project, and I'll now integrate my work
into the git section. I only need to remember how git-buildpackage
works...

Another problem is that as often with Java packages, some of the
projects listed above do not have proper upstream source packages.

For irclib, I had to jh_repack the jar which contained both the classes
and the source, which is fine I think.

For jsyntaxpane, there is absolutely no source package to download so I
had to build a tgz from a svn checkout. I'm less confident in this. Does
anyone have an advice on this?

Ok, that's all I have in my head right now, but I fear I'll ask more
questions on this list or on #d-java (where I'm emptty) in the near
future...

Thanks for the fish,
Mt.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello Martin,

You can have a good start for building the package for JSyntaxPane with
those commands:

sudo apt-get install maven-debian-helper
mh_make --from-svn=http://jsyntaxpane.googlecode.com/svn/tags/095/

JSyntaxPane uses Maven as its build system, and furthermore there are no
dependencies, so it's really easy.

Cheers,
Ludovic

Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Martin Quinson

Hello Ludovic,

I tried this, but I was missing the jflex plugin for maven, so I decided
to not use maven and build the stuff manually instead. jflex is not that
difficult to invoke manually either. It kinda works now, even if
bypassing the upstream build system is not as nice as I'd like.

Thanks for your time,
Mt.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Bottom Post

Hello List,

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:27:49AM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> Le mercredi 13 avril 2011 à 23:52 +0200, Ludovic Claude a écrit :
> >
> > Hello Martin,
> >
> > You can have a good start for building the package for JSyntaxPane with
> > those commands:
> >
> > sudo apt-get install maven-debian-helper
> > mh_make --from-svn=http://jsyntaxpane.googlecode.com/svn/tags/095/
> >
> > JSyntaxPane uses Maven as its build system, and furthermore there are no
> > dependencies, so it's really easy.
> >
> Hello Ludovic,
>
> I tried this, but I was missing the jflex plugin for maven, so I decided
> to not use maven and build the stuff manually instead. jflex is not that
> difficult to invoke manually either. It kinda works now, even if
> bypassing the upstream build system is not as nice as I'd like.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Mt.

Please allow people to read in the discussion order, reply below the text.

And removing old, meanwhile inrelevant text, is appriciated by does
who have by the megabyte, such as cell phone users.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.