-   -   Hint needed for packaging library using maven (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/506094-hint-needed-packaging-library-using-maven.html)

Andreas Tille 03-27-2011 07:31 AM

Hint needed for packaging library using maven

Hi,

I want to package a library for DICOM (medical images) which is available
here:

http://www.dcm4che.org/maven2/dcm4che/dcm4che-core/2.0.25/

While I understood that Maven seems a good precondition for packaging
I can not really match the available docs in the Wiki with the form the
source is provided for dcm4che.

Any hint what to do / read?

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Ludovic Claude 03-27-2011 09:10 PM

Hint needed for packaging library using maven

Hello Andreas,

You can use the mh_make tool from maven-debian-helper to generate the
packaging:

mh_make
--from-svn=https://dcm4che.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dcm4che/dcm4che2/tags/DCM4CHE_2_0_25/

It will download the sources and try to build the packaging for you, you
simply need to answer a few questions. I have run it, and it looks like
there are a few other packages to build first:

- jai imageio (from http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio-core/)
- maven-bundle-plugin from the Apache Felix project

I'm planning to package the Maven Bundle plugin soon, I'm quite busy on
other things, but if you can wait a little while, it will be easy to
package this project after.
You can start packaging imageio if it has not been done before.

Cheers,
Ludovic

tony mancill 04-13-2011 12:41 AM

On 03/27/2011 02:10 PM, Ludovic Claude wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> You can use the mh_make tool from maven-debian-helper to generate the
> packaging:
>
> mh_make
> --from-svn=https://dcm4che.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/dcm4che/dcm4che2/tags/DCM4CHE_2_0_25/
>
> It will download the sources and try to build the packaging for you, you
> simply need to answer a few questions. I have run it, and it looks like
> there are a few other packages to build first:
>
> - jai imageio (from http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio-core/)
> - maven-bundle-plugin from the Apache Felix project
>
> I'm planning to package the Maven Bundle plugin soon, I'm quite busy on
> other things, but if you can wait a little while, it will be easy to
> package this project after.
> You can start packaging imageio if it has not been done before.
>
> Cheers,
> Ludovic

Hello Andreas, Ludovic:

I was taking a look at JAI as well because I've been having to install
it by hand at work for GeoServer and it would be nice to have it in the
archive. However, the copyright [1] for the library restricts the venue
of use, and so I don't believe the package can be uploaded to main. (In
fact, it could be that it's not appropriate even for non-free, but I'd
have to look into that matter in more depth.)

If I end up packaging it for local use, perhaps it's useful to place the
packaging into the svn or git repo so others can build their own local
packages - does anyone know of other examples of this sort of
"packaging," or if it would be useful?

Thank you,
tony

Andreas Tille 04-13-2011 06:13 AM

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 05:41:14PM -0700, tony mancill wrote:

> I was taking a look at JAI as well because I've been having to install
> it by hand at work for GeoServer and it would be nice to have it in the
> archive. However, the copyright [1] for the library restricts the venue
> of use, and so I don't believe the package can be uploaded to main. (In
> fact, it could be that it's not appropriate even for non-free, but I'd
> have to look into that matter in more depth.)

I also had a very quick view on the license and did not stumbled about
things which are that problematic. Which part would you consider as
even not fit for non-free? Probably this could be clarified on
debian-legal list. If I could save your time for packaging (where you
have probably more routine than me) I'd volunteer to bring this up
there. Just ping me about this (and point to the problematic parts
explicitely).

> If I end up packaging it for local use, perhaps it's useful to place the
> packaging into the svn or git repo so others can build their own local
> packages - does anyone know of other examples of this sort of
> "packaging," or if it would be useful?

Hmmm, useful? I'm not sure. We need it as dependency for an urgently
needed package (medical image viewer) and having this dependency
somewhere not as binary package would de facto kill this attempt. :-(

> > [1] http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio-core/sources/svn/content/trunk/COPYRIGHT.txt?rev=254

Ahh, this one has really some interesting bits. I just looked at

http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio-core

which says BSD and

http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio-core/sources/svn/content/tags/jai-imageio-1_1-fcs/COPYRIGHT.txt?rev=254

because I considered packaging a tagged ("released") version and not
any random trunk status. This copyright statement looks better, IMHO.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

tony mancill 04-14-2011 03:33 AM

On 04/12/2011 11:13 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 05:41:14PM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
>>
>> I was taking a look at JAI as well because I've been having to install
>> it by hand at work for GeoServer and it would be nice to have it in the
>> archive. However, the copyright [1] for the library restricts the venue
>> of use, and so I don't believe the package can be uploaded to main. (In
>> fact, it could be that it's not appropriate even for non-free, but I'd
>> have to look into that matter in more depth.)
>
> I also had a very quick view on the license and did not stumbled about
> things which are that problematic. Which part would you consider as
> even not fit for non-free? Probably this could be clarified on
> debian-legal list. If I could save your time for packaging (where you
> have probably more routine than me) I'd volunteer to bring this up
> there. Just ping me about this (and point to the problematic parts
> explicitely).
>
>> If I end up packaging it for local use, perhaps it's useful to place the
>> packaging into the svn or git repo so others can build their own local
>> packages - does anyone know of other examples of this sort of
>> "packaging," or if it would be useful?
>
> Hmmm, useful? I'm not sure. We need it as dependency for an urgently
> needed package (medical image viewer) and having this dependency
> somewhere not as binary package would de facto kill this attempt. :-(
>
>>> [1] http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio-core/sources/svn/content/trunk/COPYRIGHT.txt?rev=254
>
> Ahh, this one has really some interesting bits. I just looked at
>
> http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio-core
>
> which says BSD and
>
> http://java.net/projects/jai-imageio-core/sources/svn/content/tags/jai-imageio-1_1-fcs/COPYRIGHT.txt?rev=254
>
> because I considered packaging a tagged ("released") version and not
> any random trunk status. This copyright statement looks better, IMHO.

Hi Andreas,

The bit that I was concerned about is the fifth paragraph below - I thought
there was an issue with uploading software to the archive when export
restrictions exist (or at least if the DD is bound by United States export
laws). There used to be many of these "ITAR"-style restrictions floating about,
but I don't recall the last time I saw one. BTW, I don't see the difference
between the tagged copyright and the trunk copyright - it seems like no one at
Sun has touched this software in quite a several years.

Thank you for volunteering to bring it up on debian-legal.
tony

Russ Allbery 04-14-2011 04:07 AM

tony mancill <tony@mancill.com> writes:

> The bit that I was concerned about is the fifth paragraph below - I
> thought there was an issue with uploading software to the archive when
> export restrictions exist (or at least if the DD is bound by United
> States export laws). There used to be many of these "ITAR"-style
> restrictions floating about, but I don't recall the last time I saw one.

We should be okay on this these days. Debian has a system where it
registers all software that we upload for export, which is all that's
required now for free software.