Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Stan Ioan-Eugen

Default join debian java team

Hello,

I'm Eugen and I wish that Java has better support in Debian. I use
Debian daily on my laptop for more than two years, and up until now I
have contributed mostly to l10n-romanian. For about a year I started
learning Java, I like the language and I think I can help.

I am applying for Debian GSoC and hopefully I will package jigsaw [1]
for Debian for this summer, but regardless of that I hope that by fall
I am ready and worthy of applying for Debian maintainer.

I have started reading [0] and I am interested in packaging a small
java application for Debian so I am looking for a sponsor. I am
looking for something small to get me started and work my way up to
more complicated stuff. I am thinking of Selenium IDE [2] which I
used a little bit or Squirell-sql. But if there are other more
important/urgent things to be done I will be happy to help.

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/Java
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/Jigsaw
[2] http://seleniumhq.org/projects/ide/
[3] http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/

Ioan-Eugen Stan

Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-03-23 08:28, Stan Ioan-Eugen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Eugen and I wish that Java has better support in Debian. I use
> Debian daily on my laptop for more than two years, and up until now I
> have contributed mostly to l10n-romanian. For about a year I started
> learning Java, I like the language and I think I can help.

Hi and welcome,

A helping hand is always appreciated in improving support for Java in
Debian.

> I am applying for Debian GSoC and hopefully I will package jigsaw [1]
> for Debian for this summer, but regardless of that I hope that by fall
> I am ready and worthy of applying for Debian maintainer.

I am not directly involved with the Debian GSoC. Nevertheless that
sounds like a decent plan. XD
Feel free to ping me a bit down the road to add support for this stuff
in javahelper (so I can convince Matthew to do it ^^ )

> I have started reading [0] and I am interested in packaging a small
> java application for Debian so I am looking for a sponsor. I am
> looking for something small to get me started and work my way up to
> more complicated stuff. I am thinking of Selenium IDE [2] which I
> used a little bit or Squirell-sql. But if there are other more
> important/urgent things to be done I will be happy to help.
>
> [0] http://wiki.debian.org/Java
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/Jigsaw
> [2] http://seleniumhq.org/projects/ide/
> [3] http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/
>
> Regards,

As I recall squirel-sql is already packed but still missing a sponsor
and my experience with IDEs is that they tend to be "very complicated" -
just look at the current status of netbeans. :P

~Niels

Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello Stan,

I would recommand you first to try to fix some bugs in existing
packages, here's the full list of packages and their issues

http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-java-maintainers%40lists.alioth.debian.org

You can then try to package a new program (wish list here:
http://wiki.debian.org/Java/RequestedPackages), but I would go with a
library, they are much easier to package.

Jigsaw is a very interesting project, but so big that you may have an
hard time on it. You'll need to master at least packaging simple
libraries, using Git - to keep track of the vast amount of code - and
compiling C++ code for the JNI bindings. And of course, understand the
fundamentals behind Jigsaw, like the concepts of modularity, classloading...

Ludovic

Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Sylvestre Ledru

Indeed!
And being familiar with the openjdk packaging would be great!

Sylvestre

Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Ioan Eugen Stan

2011/3/30 Ludovic Claude <ludovic.claude@laposte.net>:

> Hello Stan,
>
> There has been a few patches submitted by James Page recently, they look
> fine and useful.
> See bugs #620045, 620046, 620048, 620049

I have uploaded the fix for #620045 to
http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=libjfreechart-java
Please review my work and give me some feed-back. If everything is ok
I will continue with the other patches.

I tried to use svn-buildpackage but it didn't work because I do not
have svn write access. Do I get svn write access if I am part of
pkg-java project on alioth? I just requested to join the project, and
I just noticed I got accepted.

If I get svn write access should I commit directly to svn if I fix a
bug, or should I take the dput mentors path?
Also, I saw that dch -i put a version string like x.y-3.1 instead of
increasing to x.y-4. Is that because I am not a Debian maintainer?

Ioan-Eugen Stan

Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello,

Yes, you should get write access to SVN once you are part of the
pkg-java team. When you fix a bug, you should both commit your changes
in SVN, and submit your package to mentors.d.o.
Ideally, you should tag your new version of the package once it has been
checked, for that follow this page: http://wiki.debian.org/Java/JavaSvn
(use svn-build-package --svn-tag)

Ludovic

Old 04-04-2011, 02:46 AM
tony mancill

On 04/03/2011 11:00 AM, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:

> Also, I saw that dch -i put a version string like x.y-3.1 instead of
> increasing to x.y-4. Is that because I am not a Debian maintainer?

Hi,

dch -i sees that you are not maintainer listed in debian/control and assumes
that you intend to NMU the package. You can use use "dch --team" to bump the
version number in the changelog for team-maintained packages. (See the dch
manpage for more details.)

Cheers,
tony

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Ioan Eugen Stan

2011/4/4 tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org>:
> On 04/03/2011 11:00 AM, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
>
>> Also, I saw that dch -i put a version string like x.y-3.1 instead of
>> increasing to x.y-4. Is that because I am not a Debian maintainer?
>
> Hi,
>
> dch -i sees that you are not maintainer listed in debian/control and assumes
> that you intend to NMU the package. Â*You can use use "dch --team" to bump the
> version number in the changelog for team-maintained packages. (See the dch
> manpage for more details.)

Thanks,

Aha, I will use --team then. What happes to the files I submitted to
mentors, how long are they going to stay before they will be in debian
unstable.
My fix also closes a bug. Do I have to mark the bug as closed, someone
else will, or the system will auto-magically detect this.
I wish to update the package I sent to mentors (use --team and also
update the svn stuff). Normally I delete the file from mentors and
send another.

Ioan-Eugen Stan

Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Ludovic Claude

If it closes a bug, you should add in the changelog:
- blah blah (Closes: #BUGNUM)

Then the system will auto-magically close the bug once the package has
been accepted. While your package is in mentors, you can upload fixes so
for example you can add the bug fixed to the changelog if you haven't
done so. Then you can wait for a Debian maintainer/developer or (usually
faster) find a kind maintainer to check and upload the package for you
into unstable.

Ludovic
(not DD yet)