Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Default pbuilder and ${java:Depends}

Hi, I have a question regarding pbuilder.

My Debian package uses ${javaepends} in its Depends field.

However, in a pbuilder environment not all dependencies are installed,
and hence ${javaepends} does not expand to *all* real dependencies.

My question is: how do I add the missing libraries?

a) Put them in Build-Depends so that jh_depends can find them?
b) Drop ${javaepends} and list them manually?
c) Something else?

What is the recommended way?

Thanks and regards,
Panayiotis

Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2011-03-19 00:03, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Hi, I have a question regarding pbuilder.
>
> My Debian package uses ${javaepends} in its Depends field.
>
> However, in a pbuilder environment not all dependencies are installed,
> and hence ${javaepends} does not expand to *all* real dependencies.
>
> My question is: how do I add the missing libraries?
>
> a) Put them in Build-Depends so that jh_depends can find them?
> b) Drop ${javaepends} and list them manually?
> c) Something else?
>
> What is the recommended way?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Panayiotis

Hi

I have seen your (similar) question on d-mentors@l.d.o and it appears to
me that you do not understand how substitution variables (substvars)
relates to the build process.
All known tools that use ${something} substvars do the substitution on
binary packages at the end of the build based the build environment or
the (contents of the) binary package. There is no known tool that can
accurately fill out Build-Depends for you, so generally the answer is a)
for all substvars.

For jh_depends; jh_depends reads the Class-Path of the resulting jar
file (installed in the binary package being built) and from that fill
out the Depends field of that package. It has the advantage that you do
not have to repeat yourself and updating the Build-Depends are
automatically reflected in your Depends.
It also populates ${java:Recommends} if you are generating a javadoc
that is "linked" against system installed javadocs. Though this part is
only relevant if you are packaging a Java Library.

~Niels