Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Andreas Tille

Default Free package of Apache Derby?

Hi,

when searching the Debian archive for derby.jar I can only find
sun-java6-javadb which is non-free. Is there any packaging
effort for the free

http://db.apache.org/derby/

project? I would need it for packaging

http://code.google.com/p/phyutility/

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Old 03-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Zied ABID

Hi,

On 28/02/2011 22:57, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when searching the Debian archive for derby.jar I can only find
> sun-java6-javadb which is non-free. Is there any packaging
> effort for the free
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/
>
> project?

I'm a beginner packager, I tried to some easy thinks in my corner...
I took a look at derby source code [1] and it seems a well organized
source with ant building. I'll try do package it as soon as possible.

But tel me, did you request a special version of derby, or I just begin
to package the last stable release ?

Zied

PS: I'm sure that there are many kind people in this list that will help
me ^^

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/tags/10.7.1.1/

Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Andreas Tille

Hi Zied,

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 Zied ABID wrote:
> But tel me, did you request a special version of derby, or I just begin
> to package the last stable release ?

I have no reason to assume that any specific version might be needed so
packaging the recent version seems to be a reasonable choice. My
target package[1] seems to be actively maintained so the authors will
probably also use the latest version.

BTW, in case you just want to work on *any* java package it might be
even more helpfull to package Jide[2] first (see my last mail to the
list). The decision from my perspective is that we can free an existing
Debian package (igv) if we start to tackle Jide (+2 other smaller JARs)
versus getting a not yet packaged software (phyutility [1]) into Debian.
My priority would be to at first care properly for what is just inside
Debian. But any of Derby or Jide would be of help for sure and I really
would welcome your help.

Kind regards

Andreas.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/phyutility/