Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Alexander Holupirek

Default RFC: First attempt to package BaseX XML Database

Hi,

i tried to package 'BaseX - An XML Database' [1],[2] for Debian and produced a first set of package files that can be found on

http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/dbis/basex/debian/index.php

The maven-*-helper tools from Ludovic Claude were of great help. Thanks for those!

Since this is my first packaging experience, I would like to ask for some comments if I could improve something before I try to find a sponsor.

The package provides:

$ apt-cache show basex
Package: basex
BaseX is a very fast and light-weight, yet powerful XML database and
XPath/XQuery processor, including support for the latest W3C Full Text and
Update Recommendations. It supports large XML instances and offers a highly
interactive front-end (basexgui). Apart from two local standalone modes, BaseX
offers a client/server architecture.
.
The package provides following commands:
* basexgui ....... Standalone local XML database.
Graphical User Interface (GUI) mode.
Includes data visualizations and XQuery editor.
* basex .......... Standalone local XML database. Command line mode.
* basexserver .... XML database server
* basexclient .... XML database client
Homepage: http://basex.org

Thanks,
Alex

[1] http://basex.org
[2] ITP 588216 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=588216

Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello Alexander,

Your package looks good, can you add 3 little changes and it will be
perfect:
- add this line to maven.cleanIgnoreRules to get the clean target to
work without failures:
org.apache.maven.plugins maven-source-plugin * * * *
- add this line to maven.rules to have a safer upgrade path - here, we
assume that the next releases in the 6.x branch will remain compatible,
but major version changes (7.x and more) will require some adjustments:
org.basex basex jar s/6..*/6.x/ * *
- the patch did not apply cleanly, I have refreshed it.

The updated packaging is in
https://code.launchpad.net/~ludovicc/uj/basex

Ludovic

Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Alexander Holupirek

Hi Ludovic,

thanks for having a look at the package. I have incorporated your suggestions to the package files on

http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/dbis/basex/debian/index.php

Thx!
Alex

On 20.02.2011, at 22:31, Ludovic Claude wrote:

> Hello Alexander,
>
> Your package looks good, can you add 3 little changes and it will be
> perfect:
> - add this line to maven.cleanIgnoreRules to get the clean target to
> work without failures:
> org.apache.maven.plugins maven-source-plugin * * * *
> - add this line to maven.rules to have a safer upgrade path - here, we
> assume that the next releases in the 6.x branch will remain compatible,
> but major version changes (7.x and more) will require some adjustments:
> org.basex basex jar s/6..*/6.x/ * *
> - the patch did not apply cleanly, I have refreshed it.
>
> The updated packaging is in
> https://code.launchpad.net/~ludovicc/uj/basex
>
> Ludovic
>
> On 20/02/11 14:47, Alexander Holupirek wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i tried to package 'BaseX - An XML Database' [1],[2] for Debian and produced a first set of package files that can be found on
>>
>> http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/dbis/basex/debian/index.php
>>
>> The maven-*-helper tools from Ludovic Claude were of great help. Thanks for those!
>>
>> Since this is my first packaging experience, I would like to ask for some comments if I could improve something before I try to find a sponsor.
>>
>> The package provides:
>>
>> $ apt-cache show basex
>> Package: basex
>> BaseX is a very fast and light-weight, yet powerful XML database and
>> XPath/XQuery processor, including support for the latest W3C Full Text and
>> Update Recommendations. It supports large XML instances and offers a highly
>> interactive front-end (basexgui). Apart from two local standalone modes, BaseX
>> offers a client/server architecture.
>> .
>> The package provides following commands:
>> * basexgui ....... Standalone local XML database.
>> Graphical User Interface (GUI) mode.
>> Includes data visualizations and XQuery editor.
>> * basex .......... Standalone local XML database. Command line mode.
>> * basexserver .... XML database server
>> * basexclient .... XML database client
>> Homepage: http://basex.org
>>
>> Thanks,