Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Vincent Fourmond

Default Idea for wheezy development: automatic class search tool

Hello all,

This is an idea that has been there for a long time, but I haven't
had the time yet to implement it, nor even to voice it so far. What
I'm often missing while packaging Java software is a simple too to
find which debian package holds which class. My idea is to provide a
simple alioth service doing just that, potentially with a command-line
tool to interrogate it some time later, although a web interface
should be fine enough.

My feeling is that using a simple sql database along with crontabs
to update it should be fine. (although I'm unsure for now on which
machine the crontab would run, and how often). Candidate package would
just be those with files in /usr/share/java.

In the long run, we could consolidate that into real diagnostics:

* this .jar file in that package directly relies on the
foo.org.Bidule class, but not such class can be found in its
dependencies
* this .jar has that one in its class path, but doesn't rely on it
* careful, the version in unstable of this jar is missing that
method, on which this and that jars are relying...

Possibilities are countless.

How do you like the idea ?

Cheers,

Vincent

Old 02-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Benjamin Drung

Am Samstag, den 19.02.2011, 15:45 +0100 schrieb Vincent Fourmond:
> Hello all,
>
> This is an idea that has been there for a long time, but I haven't
> had the time yet to implement it, nor even to voice it so far. What
> I'm often missing while packaging Java software is a simple too to
> find which debian package holds which class. My idea is to provide a
> simple alioth service doing just that, potentially with a command-line
> tool to interrogate it some time later, although a web interface
> should be fine enough.
>
> My feeling is that using a simple sql database along with crontabs
> to update it should be fine. (although I'm unsure for now on which
> machine the crontab would run, and how often). Candidate package would
> just be those with files in /usr/share/java.
>
> In the long run, we could consolidate that into real diagnostics:
>
> * this .jar file in that package directly relies on the
> foo.org.Bidule class, but not such class can be found in its
> dependencies
> * this .jar has that one in its class path, but doesn't rely on it
> * careful, the version in unstable of this jar is missing that
> method, on which this and that jars are relying...
>
> Possibilities are countless.
>
> How do you like the idea ?

Can we have it in a package instead? Something equivalent to
command-not-found?

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer

Old 02-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Vincent Fourmond

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 19.02.2011, 15:45 +0100 schrieb Vincent Fourmond:
>> * This is an idea that has been there for a long time, but I haven't
>> had the time yet to implement it, nor even to voice it so far. What
>> I'm often missing while packaging Java software is a simple too to
>> find which debian package holds which class. My idea is to provide a
>> simple alioth service doing just that, potentially with a command-line
>> tool to interrogate it some time later, although a web interface
>> should be fine enough. [...]
>
> Can we have it in a package instead? Something equivalent to
> command-not-found?

Just like command-not-found, it has to rely on remote service. In
the case of command-not-found, it is apt-file. Once the remote service
is in place, a command-line tool to interrogate it will be easy.

On the other hand, this tool should not be used at all like
command-not-found: while the latter is useful to suggest new programs
to end-users, a missing depencency in a jar file is a RC bug and
should never occur.

Cheers,

Vincent

Old 02-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Torsten Werner

Hi Vincent,

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> wrote:
> *This is an idea that has been there for a long time, but I haven't
> had the time yet to implement it, nor even to voice it so far. What
> I'm often missing while packaging Java software is a simple too to
> find which debian package holds which class.

what is missing from a zgrep over
'http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/jar-content.txt.gz'?

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 02-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Vincent Fourmond

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Torsten Werner
<mail.twerner@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> wrote:
>> *This is an idea that has been there for a long time, but I haven't
>> had the time yet to implement it, nor even to voice it so far. What
>> I'm often missing while packaging Java software is a simple too to
>> find which debian package holds which class.
>
> what is missing from a zgrep over
> 'http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/jar-content.txt.gz'?

I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

That still doesn't provide dependency analysis.

How do you keep it up-to-date ?

Thanks,

Vincent

Old 02-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Torsten Werner

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> wrote:
> *That still doesn't provide dependency analysis.

Sure, it is just raw data.

> *How do you keep it up-to-date ?

It is a daily cron job.

Torsten

Old 02-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Vincent Fourmond

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> wrote:
>> *That still doesn't provide dependency analysis.
>
> Sure, it is just raw data.
>
>> *How do you keep it up-to-date ?
>
> It is a daily cron job.

Is the source available somewhere ? I'm interested.

Cheers,

Vincent

Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Torsten Werner

[jar content]
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Is the source available somewhere ? I'm interested.

Sorry for the delay. It is quite close:
<http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/jars.git/>

Cheers,
Torsten