Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Adnan Hodzic

Default icedtea6-plugin not installed by default

Hey,

It may be blunt question, but I was wondering why is "icedtea6-plugin"
not installed by default in Squeeze?

Adnan

Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Russ Allbery

Adnan Hodzic <adnan@foolcontrol.org> writes:

> It may be blunt question, but I was wondering why is "icedtea6-plugin"
> not installed by default in Squeeze?

Default in what sense? I don't think any Java anything, or even any web
browser that could use such a plugin, is installed by default in a base
installation. I assume you mean one of the desktop tasks?

Java web applets are relatively rare these days in my experience, at least
compared to Flash. I run into them, but not daily.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Adnan Hodzic

> Default in what sense? *I don't think any Java anything, or even any web
> browser that could use such a plugin, is installed by default in a base
> installation. *I assume you mean one of the desktop tasks?

Yea, possibly along with OpenJDK.

> Java web applets are relatively rare these days in my experience, at least
> compared to Flash. *I run into them, but not daily.

I absolutely agree with what you said.

I was saying this more from a new user perspective, he bumps into an
applet and he's just lost, might even think he doesn't even have a
JVM/JRE or what a JVM/JRE is for that matter. I was just wondering
because after all, icedtea6-plugin is a very small package.

Adnan