FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Java

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-12-2011, 04:51 PM
tony mancill
 
Default best practices for security branches in pkg-java SVN repo

Are there established practices (i.e. naming conventions) for branching
in the SVN repo in order to provide support over the lifetime of stable?

I need to prepare a security update for tomcat6 for squeeze and would
like to continue to use the SVN repo, but also want to move forward for
unstable. I browsed around in pkg-java/branches, but there seem to be
many conventions.

I am considering ./branches/${package-name}/squeeze-security/

Are there alternative suggestions that have worked well in the past?
I didn't see anything on the JavaSvn wiki [1].

Thank you,
tony

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/JavaSvn
 
Old 02-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Vincent Fourmond
 
Default best practices for security branches in pkg-java SVN repo

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM, tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org> wrote:
> Are there established practices (i.e. naming conventions) for branching
> in the SVN repo in order to provide support over the lifetime of stable?
>
> I need to prepare a security update for tomcat6 for squeeze and would
> like to continue to use the SVN repo, but also want to move forward for
> unstable. ┬*I browsed around in pkg-java/branches, but there seem to be
> many conventions.

Hmmm... You have a point here.

> I am considering ./branches/${package-name}/squeeze-security/

I think that's probably the sanest place. Just when you upload, make
sure you --svn-tag.

A question: do you think it is a good idea to update the
debian/control Vcs fields to point to the branch directory ? My
opinion is that it should be, so that the control file of the package
uploaded to squeeze-security corresponds to the place where
development of that particular branch actually occurs.

> Are there alternative suggestions that have worked well in the past?
> I didn't see anything on the JavaSvn wiki [1].

Then, go ahead, you're welcome to document ;-)...

Cheers,

Vincent


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinGBMOc4CtqRtOuXn-DUYx1-tbs´┐ŻrtezjTP@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Giovanni Mascellani
 
Default best practices for security branches in pkg-java SVN repo

Hi.

On 12/02/2011 19:02, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> A question: do you think it is a good idea to update the
> debian/control Vcs fields to point to the branch directory ? My
> opinion is that it should be, so that the control file of the package
> uploaded to squeeze-security corresponds to the place where
> development of that particular branch actually occurs.

+1

Gio.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>
Pisa, Italy

Web: http://poisson.phc.unipi.it/~mascellani
Jabber: g.mascellani@jabber.org / giovanni@elabor.homelinux.org
 
Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
tony mancill
 
Default best practices for security branches in pkg-java SVN repo

On 02/12/2011 02:24 PM, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 12/02/2011 19:02, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
>> A question: do you think it is a good idea to update the
>> debian/control Vcs fields to point to the branch directory ? My
>> opinion is that it should be, so that the control file of the package
>> uploaded to squeeze-security corresponds to the place where
>> development of that particular branch actually occurs.
>
> +1

I agree. I've done this for tomcat6 and updated the JavaSvn page.
(Unfortunately the default svn-buildpackage --svn-tag doesn't do the right thing
automatically, so the tag has to be created explicitly.)

Thanks,
tony


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4D582629.6020406@mancill.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D582629.6020406@mancill.com
 
Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Vincent Fourmond
 
Default best practices for security branches in pkg-java SVN repo

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:42 PM, tony mancill <tony@mancill.com> wrote:
>> On 12/02/2011 19:02, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
>>> * A question: do you think it is a good idea to update the
>>> debian/control Vcs fields to point to the branch directory ? My
>>> opinion is that it should be, so that the control file of the package
>>> uploaded to squeeze-security corresponds to the place where
>>> development of that particular branch actually occurs.
>>
>> +1
>
> I agree. I've done this for tomcat6 and updated the JavaSvn page.
> (Unfortunately the default svn-buildpackage --svn-tag doesn't do the right thing
> automatically, so the tag has to be created explicitly.)

What do you mean by that ? Where does svn-buildpackage send tags ?

For me, it makes sense to have all tags in the
tags/${package}/${version}, regardless of the branch from which they
come from. The idea is just to have just one place to copy from when
one has to start a new branch.

Cheers,

Vincent


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTimgC1T+y=2=N3Fs_iyVZhT3pd3x1bmo2KqK+vhR@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTimgC1T+y=2=N3Fs_iyVZhT3pd3x1bmo2KqK+vhR@mail .gmail.com
 
Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM
tony mancill
 
Default best practices for security branches in pkg-java SVN repo

On 02/13/2011 11:13 AM, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:42 PM, tony mancill <tony@mancill.com> wrote:
>>> On 12/02/2011 19:02, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
>>>> A question: do you think it is a good idea to update the
>>>> debian/control Vcs fields to point to the branch directory ? My
>>>> opinion is that it should be, so that the control file of the package
>>>> uploaded to squeeze-security corresponds to the place where
>>>> development of that particular branch actually occurs.
>>>
>>> +1
>>
>> I agree. I've done this for tomcat6 and updated the JavaSvn page.
>> (Unfortunately the default svn-buildpackage --svn-tag doesn't do the right thing
>> automatically, so the tag has to be created explicitly.)
>
> What do you mean by that ? Where does svn-buildpackage send tags ?
>
> For me, it makes sense to have all tags in the
> tags/${package}/${version}, regardless of the branch from which they
> come from. The idea is just to have just one place to copy from when
> one has to start a new branch.

Yes, I agree and this is what I documented. However, svn-buildpackage
--svn-tag won't do without explicitly setting tagsUrl. (Instead, it
drops the version tag directly in ./pkg-java/tags/.) I may write a
patch for it since the ./${repo}/branches/${pkg-name}/${branch}/
convention seems fairly well-established.

Thanks,
tony
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ę2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org