Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Thomas Koch

Default GSoC project to make maven more Debian friendly?

Hi,

as we've just seen in another thread[1], it's a very hard problem to get java
stuff into Debian. My naive idea how things could, if ever, get better, is:

- It should become standard, that every jar available on maven[2] should be
accompanied by a source code package that allows automatic rebuild of the
binary jar file.
- Everything on maven should have proper license information that should at
best be machine readable for standard licenses.
- Even better, projects should publish their code only in source form and the
compilation of the binary jars should be done by the maven repository.
- Maven artifacts should be signed by keys well connected in the web-of-trust.

If we should ever reach those points above, it should become possible to
automatically build Debian packages from (most) maven artifacts.

Maybe it would help, if Debian started to become a role model and would set up
a maven repository that works exactly as outlined above? We'd then be able to
just upload into this maven repository and Debian packages at least for
libraries could be build automatically from the artifacts.

The goal would be, that java developers start to upload there projects
themselves into our Maven repo.

Do you think this would make sense? Is so, we could make this a project idea
for the Google Summer of Code.

[1] How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian
[2] "on maven" means the place where your maven usually gets their packages
from

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Sylvestre Ledru

Le mercredi 09 février 2011 à 18:02 +0100, Thomas Koch a écrit :
> Hi,

[...]
> Do you think this would make sense? Is so, we could make this a project idea
> for the Google Summer of Code.
I like the idea of addressing this issue through a GSOC.
Are you willing to be a mentor for this project ?

Sylvestre

Old 02-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Thomas Koch

Sylvestre Ledru:
> Le mercredi 09 février 2011 à 18:02 +0100, Thomas Koch a écrit :
> I like the idea of addressing this issue through a GSOC.
> Are you willing to be a mentor for this project ?
Hi Sylvestre,

I plan to participate in the summer of code, but definitely as a student. And
there are many interesting projects. I'm not sure whether I'll stay with
Debian or cheat with another project. :-)

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Torsten Werner

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> I plan to participate in the summer of code, but definitely as a student.

are you interested in implementing the Maven stuff as a student?

Cheers,
Torsten