Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Alexander Holupirek

Default New section for 'Building Java Packages' (relating to )

On 2010-07-14 18:52, Damien Raude-Morvan wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I've looked a bit at our "website" [1] : I finally understood why all
> newcommers are using pkg-java-maintainers list instead of debian-java
>
> I have compiled tree patches against the current website that I intend to
> apply Friday assuming there are no objections.
>
> 01_debian_java_mailinglist.diff : Recommend usage of debian-java mailing list
> when looking for support under pkg-java umbrella.
>
> 02_git_repository.diff: Add a link to our GIT repositories list
>
> 03_remove_package_list.diff: Remove outdated package list on our index page
>
> [1] http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/
>
> Cheers,

Hi,

I would like to propose an additional section on the 'Building Java
Packages in Debian' webpage regarding the available helpers.

I recently started packaging a java application [1] and since I'm new
to this process I stumbled across 'Building Java Packages in Debian'
[2] on the alioth website.

A nice additional section on that webpage would be an overview of the
helper packages, their current state, and if some are preferred for
java packaging (with build systems like ant or maven).

For instance, in my case upstream uses maven as build system.
From what I found on [3], [4], [5] I'm not quite sure what's the best
way to use maven for package building.

Using javahelper(1), jh_makepkg creates a rules file using
mvn-debian(1). However the man page of mvn-debian(1) says:

'Please do not use it for building real Debian packages because
there are cdbs snippets available with more features and less bugs.'

However, cdbs documentation [6] has no entries on the maven features.
The section 'Packaging Java applications' [7] only deals with ant.
Therefor, for the not so enlightened, it is hard to proceed.

Going with the mh_* tools from maven-repo-helper seems to be a
good way. However, apart from [8] and [4] I was not able to find
more documentation. Especially, mh_* seems to be tuned for building
maven libs and I did not find the magic words to use it for java
application packaging.

To make a long story short. A list on the available helpers, their
current status and a link on how they should be used (or not) would
be a great help for novices.

Thanks,
Alex

[2] http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/building.html
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/Packaging
[4] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenDebianHelper
[5] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenBuilder
[6] http://cdbs-doc.duckcorp.org/en/cdbs-doc.xhtml
[7] http://cdbs-doc.duckcorp.org/en/cdbs-doc.xhtml#id391599
[8] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoHelper

Old 07-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Matthew Johnson

On Thu Jul 15 12:14, Alexander Holupirek wrote:
> To make a long story short. A list on the available helpers, their current
> status and a link on how they should be used (or not) would be a great help
> for novices.

I am working on this, I've just written a talk on Javahelper to give at Debconf
this year, which I'll make available later, and I've been writing example
sample packages using Javahelper (and dh7, not cdbs) here:

http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/examples/

I've not got a maven one yet though.

I'm hoping to replace all the stuff on our website eventually - I've just not
got that far on with it yet.

Matt

Old 07-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Alexander Holupirek

On 16.07.2010, at 01:30, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Thu Jul 15 12:14, Alexander Holupirek wrote:
>> To make a long story short. A list on the available helpers, their current
>> status and a link on how they should be used (or not) would be a great help
>> for novices.
>>
> I am working on this, I've just written a talk on Javahelper to give at Debconf
> this year, which I'll make available later, and I've been writing example
> sample packages using Javahelper (and dh7, not cdbs) here:
>
> http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/examples/

Thanks, Matthew. That's indeed a good overview and quick start.

> I've not got a maven one yet though.

It would be nice to clarify the status of mvn-build(1) there (is it ready to be
used for 'real' package building or should it be avoided as mentioned in its
man page).

It would also be cool to have analogous examples for the mh_* tools for library
and application building.

Are there chances to get some of that stuff mentioned in the 'New
maintainers guide'? (maybe in section '4.4.3 Customization of rules file',
where also dh_pysupport and the like is mentioned?) [1]

Thanks,
Alex

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html

Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Matthew Johnson

On Sat Jul 17 08:40, Alexander Holupirek wrote:
> > I am working on this, I've just written a talk on Javahelper to give at Debconf
> > this year, which I'll make available later, and I've been writing example
> > sample packages using Javahelper (and dh7, not cdbs) here:
> >
> > http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/examples/
>
> Thanks, Matthew. That's indeed a good overview and quick start.
>
> It would also be cool to have analogous examples for the mh_* tools for library
> and application building.

Yes, it would be nice. Feel free to submit one (-; (I've not used maven or mh)

> Are there chances to get some of that stuff mentioned in the 'New
> maintainers guide'? (maybe in section '4.4.3 Customization of rules file',
> where also dh_pysupport and the like is mentioned?) [1]

Ah, I hadn't noticed that. When I have a good link to give them to our docs,
then I'll send them a patch.

Matt

Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello,

I confirm, mvn-debian should not be used for real packaging tasks.

If you package a project which uses Maven, then in a nutshell you should:
- install the package maven-debian-helper
- run mh_make from the root directory of the project sources.

I will improve documentation on this, thanks Matthew for your example
page, and we still need to work together to integrate Maven with your
JavaHelper properly.

Ludovic

Old 07-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Alexander Holupirek

Hi,

thanks for clarifying that mvn-debian should not be used for real
packaging tasks.

Just out of curiosity, why is that the case (I did not have
any troubles so far)?

I would propose to indicate that clearly when generating a template
using jh_makepkg (as it automatically adds mvn-debian when choosing
a maven build system). Please find attached a patch against
javatools-0.31 for that purpose.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Torsten Werner

Hi,

the comment at the beginning of the script is:

# This is an example script that allows running maven on the command
# line in a similar way as our cdbs snippets work. Production use is
# not supported by the maintainer of maven-debian-helper.

We could improve it but this will need some time. The issues are:

- It installs all jars into the first package only.
- It ignores $JAVA_HOME.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Matthew Johnson

On Tue Jul 20 10:41, Alexander Holupirek wrote:
> I would propose to indicate that clearly when generating a template
> using jh_makepkg (as it automatically adds mvn-debian when choosing
> a maven build system). Please find attached a patch against
> javatools-0.31 for that purpose.

A better option would be for either jh_makepkg to not offer it or for it do do
something sensible (ie - incorporate mh_make in jh_makepkg).

Matt