-   -   RFS: libservlet2.4-java (supersedes libservlet2.3-java) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/396119-rfs-libservlet2-4-java-supersedes-libservlet2-3-java.html)

Niels Thykier 07-07-2010 05:12 PM

RFS: libservlet2.4-java (supersedes libservlet2.3-java)

Onkar Shinde 07-09-2010 02:53 AM

RFS: libservlet2.4-java (supersedes libservlet2.3-java)

A quick comment. IIRC, there are API differences between servlet2.3
and servlet2.4. So 'Provides' doesn't make sense. Also there are no
common files between two packages. So 'Replaces' doesn't make sense
either.
If there is just one (build)rdep of libservlet2.3-java then let's just
migrate it to libservlet2.4-java and get rid of previous package.

Onkar

Niels Thykier 07-09-2010 11:08 AM

On 2010-07-09 04:53, Onkar Shinde wrote:
> A quick comment. IIRC, there are API differences between servlet2.3
> and servlet2.4. So 'Provides' doesn't make sense.

Hi

Okay, I must have confused it with something else - I thought they were
backwards compatible. I will recall this RFS and undo the Provides on
SVN later, thanks for catching this. :)

> Also there are no
> common files between two packages. So 'Replaces' doesn't make sense
> either.

Policy example for "replace package and force removal of the old" lists
a replaces, and I also added a symlink from servlet-api-2.3.jar to the
2.4 so with this upload they would have common files.

> If there is just one (build)rdep of libservlet2.3-java then let's just
> migrate it to libservlet2.4-java and get rid of previous package.

That would be ideal, but this is a package in poor shape in contrib. It
uses non of its Build-Depends (except ant and java), so you could just
trim out the B-Ds, however, I do not really want to do a "half-done"
upload of it.

I have imported the package to git [1] and started working on it. As far
as I can tell we do not have "jrcs-diff.jar" which is needed. We also
need some other libraries, but so far I have ignored those (since there
were code snippets in d/rules to build jspwiki without these).
There is also a new upstream release of jspwiki - I do not know if it
would make the situation better or worse. The current jspwiki compiles
against servlet2.5.

Anyhow, feel free to help me with this one - it would be really great to
get rid of servlet2.3 before Squeeze.

Note: Even if we get jspwiki into shape it will stay in contrib due to
jabsorb, which we had to move to non-free (upstream have been notified
about it).

> Onkar

~Niels

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-java/jspwiki.git
Note: it is currently set to use the precompiled binarys. I have not
cleaned the tarball yet, so it complicates some rules. Just comment in
the commands in override_dh_auto_{build,clean} and apply the jabsorb api
patch. With that we have stripped out a small part and build with only
one binary jar.