Old 07-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Pablo Duboue

Default Jetty Plus on Jetty 6 - why is it not there?

Hi Stian,

On Friday, July 02, 2010, Stian Brattland wrote:
> Hei,
>
> I've installed Jetty on an Ubuntu 9.10 box, using "apt-get install jetty
> libjetty-extra libjetty-extra-java". However, no Jetty Plus files are
> included when i
> install Jetty this way. I am as certain as i could be about this,
> because i kept getting a "ClassNotFound"-exception indicating that the
> "EnvEntry" class
> could not be found.
>
> However, what i did was that i downloaded one of the 6.x releases, and
> added the "annotations" and "plus" directories to the "jetty/lib" dir on
> my ubuntu
> box. Things worked fine after that.
>
> Anyway, is that the easiest way to add plus capabilities to the jetty
> release which is available via apt-get on my ubuntu 9.10 box? Is there a
> reason for
> not letting Jetty Plus being included (like licenses, copyrights or
> anything similar?)

Your question is better addressed to the Debian/Ubuntu maintainers of the
Jetty maintainers.

I'm looking around for the reasons of Jetty Plus absence, but sending it to
the list in case anybody has the answer at hand.

You are welcome to fill a wish-list bug against jetty requesting plus to be
included, but most likely it is missing due to lack of manpower. You're more
than welcomed to join Debian Java Maintainers [1] and help us out.

Thanks!

Pablo

[1] http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/developers.html

Old 07-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Pablo Duboue

Niels just pointed out on IRC that the changelog for Jetty on Debian
Sid [1] includes the lines

[ Miguel Landaeta ]
* Enable jetty-plus and jetty-annotations modules. (Closes: #585387).

So it has already been taken care of.

Good to know :-)

Pablo

[1] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/j/jetty/jetty_6.1.24-5/changelog

Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Niels Thykier

On 2010-07-03 08:33, Pablo Duboue wrote:
> Hi Stian,
>
> On Friday, July 02, 2010, Stian Brattland wrote:
>> Hei,
>>
>> I've installed Jetty on an Ubuntu 9.10 box, using "apt-get install jetty
>> libjetty-extra libjetty-extra-java". However, no Jetty Plus files are
>> included when i
>> install Jetty this way. I am as certain as i could be about this,
>> because i kept getting a "ClassNotFound"-exception indicating that the
>> "EnvEntry" class
>> could not be found.
>>
>> However, what i did was that i downloaded one of the 6.x releases, and
>> added the "annotations" and "plus" directories to the "jetty/lib" dir on
>> my ubuntu
>> box. Things worked fine after that.
>>
>> Anyway, is that the easiest way to add plus capabilities to the jetty
>> release which is available via apt-get on my ubuntu 9.10 box? Is there a
>> reason for
>> not letting Jetty Plus being included (like licenses, copyrights or
>> anything similar?)
>
> Your question is better addressed to the Debian/Ubuntu maintainers of the
> Jetty maintainers.
>
> I'm looking around for the reasons of Jetty Plus absence, but sending it to
> the list in case anybody has the answer at hand.
>
> You are welcome to fill a wish-list bug against jetty requesting plus to be
> included, but most likely it is missing due to lack of manpower. You're more
> than welcomed to join Debian Java Maintainers [1] and help us out.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pablo
>
> [1] http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/developers.html

Hi

As Pablo Duboue already mentioned in a separate mail (which was not
CC'ed to the jetty-user list), jetty-plus is enabled in Debian (version
>= 6.1.24-3). Currently both Debian and Ubuntu are currently scheduled
to ship 6.1.24-5 with their next stable release (called Squeeze and
Maverick Meerkat respectively).

I looked the changes and it looks like the reason was that we had not
packaged geronimo-jta-1.0.1b-spec at the time[1]. This means you cannot
enabled it in the version you have (because it is not built/shipped in
that version) unless you rebuilt it from source.

The actual change required in jetty (which also enables
jetty-annotations) can be acquired by checking out the jetty packaging
from svn.debian.org[2] and running the command listed in [3] in the
newly downloaded directory.
You can file a bug in Ubuntu (against jetty) for getting this change
backported to Karmic (9.10) or/and Lucid (10.04). I cannot promise you
they will do it though. Also, they will not attempt to enable
jetty-annotations unless you explicitly request that as well - the
Stable Release Team will reject "unrelated" changes to a package.

~Niels

[1] That is to say, Debian did not have the package at that time. Ubuntu
takes most of its Java packages from Debian without changes; this makes
a lot of things easier for us in both distributions in our development
cycles.

Disclaimer: geronimo-jta-1.0.1b-spec has been changed when it was
uploaded to Debian. I do not know if these changes affects whether
jetty-plus can be built.

[2] svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/jetty

[3] svn diff -r12295:12553
The actual revision for this change is r12553.