Old 06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Niels Thykier

Default RFS: icu4j-4.2

Hi

I have prepared a new upstream release of icu4j; since eclipse 3.5 needs
4.0.1.1, I have renamed the package to icu4j-4.2 to avoid clashes with the
old package.

This is not the newest version of icu4j released (that would be >= 4.4),
however eclipse 3.6 depends on icu4j 4.2.

The latest changelog entry:
icu4j-4.2 (4.2.1.1-1) unstable; urgency=low

* New upstream release. (Closes: #583808)
* Renamed package since eclipse 3.5.2 depends on 4.0.1.1.
* Removed dependencies on JREs - per the Java Policy this is no
longer required.
* Fixed a typo in the package synopsis.
* Rewrote d/rules to use DH7 with javahelper.
* Removed the patch; not required anymore.
* Bumped Standards-Version to 3.8.4 - no changes required.
* Removed NEWS and README.Debian; they were no longer relevant.

-- Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:40:27 +0200

The changes have been checked in at the pkg-java's SVN and can also be
fetched from mentors.debian.net via dget:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/i/icu4j-4.2/icu4j-4.2_4.2.1.1-1.dsc

Thanks for considering,
~Niels

Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Torsten Werner

Hi Niels,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> I have prepared a new upstream release of icu4j; since eclipse 3.5 needs
> 4.0.1.1, I have renamed the package to icu4j-4.2 to avoid clashes with the
> old package.

may you add a get-orig-source target, please?

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Scott Howard

Hi Niels,

This is for my own education, but could you explain the following for me:

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> ** Removed dependencies on JREs - per the Java Policy this is no
> * *longer required.

Do we not need to depend on default-jre-headless for libraries? Or is
it optional? I don't see anything in the policy saying that it was
required to - so when is it good to include the dependency? Thank you.

Regards,
Scott

Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Vincent Fourmond

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Scott Howard <showard314@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
>> ** Removed dependencies on JREs - per the Java Policy this is no
>> * *longer required.
>
> Do we not need to depend on default-jre-headless for libraries? Or is
> it optional? I don't see anything in the policy saying that it was
> required to - so when is it good to include the dependency? Thank you.

Earlier policy (and a very outdated one, but that was reworked only
recently) mandated that libraries should depend on an appropriate java
runtime.

If my memory serves me right, only *programs* should depend on the
java runtime they need to run, but not libraries.

Cheers,

Vincent

Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2010-06-22 22:36, Torsten Werner wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
>> I have prepared a new upstream release of icu4j; since eclipse 3.5 needs
>> 4.0.1.1, I have renamed the package to icu4j-4.2 to avoid clashes with the
>> old package.
>
> may you add a get-orig-source target, please?
>
> Cheers,
> Torsten

I made an debian/orig-tar.sh script instead, but it should work all the
same.

~Niels

Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Torsten Werner

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> I made an debian/orig-tar.sh script instead, but it should work all the
> same.

Uploading now.

Cheers,
Torsten