Old 06-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Miguel Landaeta

Default RFS: eclipselink (new package, needed to package Spring Framework 3.0)

Hi team,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "eclipselink".

* Package name : eclipselink
Version : 2.0.2-1
Upstream Author : Oracle, Sun Microsystems Inc. and others
* License : Eclipse Public License, Eclipse Distribution License, BSD, GPL2, CDDL
Section : java

It builds these binary packages:
libeclipselink-java - Eclipse Persistence Services Project
libeclipselink-java-doc - Documentation for libeclipselink-java

The package is lintian clean.
The upload would fix these bugs: 581861.

My motivation for maintaining this package is:
This library is needed to package libspring-3.0-java.
Besides, this is very useful in its own since provides
several implementations of diverse persistence standards.

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/e/eclipselink/eclipselink_2.0.2-1.dsc
- Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-java/eclipselink.git

Miguel Landaeta, miguel at miguel.cc
secure email with PGP 0x7D8967E9 available at http://keyserver.pgp.com/

Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Arnaud Vandyck

Le 4/06/10 04:23, Miguel Landaeta a écrit :
> Hi team,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "eclipselink".
>
> * Package name : eclipselink
> Version : 2.0.2-1

Great to see eclipselink coming to the archive!

Thanks;

--
Arnaud Vandyck
Proverbe Islandais: Ils volcans les avions?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Niels Thykier

Miguel Landaeta wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "eclipselink".
>
> * Package name : eclipselink
> Version : 2.0.2-1
> Upstream Author : Oracle, Sun Microsystems Inc. and others
> * License : Eclipse Public License, Eclipse Distribution License, BSD, GPL2, CDDL
> Section : java
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> libeclipselink-java - Eclipse Persistence Services Project
> libeclipselink-java-doc - Documentation for libeclipselink-java
>
> The package is lintian clean.
> The upload would fix these bugs: 581861.
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is:
> This library is needed to package libspring-3.0-java.
> Besides, this is very useful in its own since provides
> several implementations of diverse persistence standards.

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/e/eclipselink/eclipselink_2.0.2-1.dsc
> - Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-java/eclipselink.git

> Regards,

Hi

The changelog on git and on mentors differ (the former still have
"UNRELEASED") - you may want to have the same release both on git and on
mentors, since some sponsors checkout the git rather than using mentors.

I am impressed at how fast you pulled together this java package, but
therein lies the problem as well - eclipse will not notice eclipselink,
and even if it did, it would not notice its dependencies.
Unfortunately we have little (read: no) documentation in Debian on how
to do eclipse packages (not including eclipse itself), including you I
think we are about 3 or 4 people who has tried/has experience with it.
It does not help that eclipselink is not "your average
eclipse"-package either. Their source zip contains the sources only
dumped together into one big pile, but their build (which they do not
ship) actually builds the source into smaller jars.

When it comes to eclipse, then Class-Path entries are ignored. Eclipse
uses its own ClassLoaders, which only care about the OSGi metadata. I
suspect the culprit is the OSGi standard and not eclipse in itself, but
nevertheless this is the sad truth.
Without relevant OSGi metadata in the jar and /all/ of its
dependencies, eclipse either not bother looking at the jar or claim it
is unable to find the dependencies.

Furthermore, eclipse generally do not look at /usr/share/java (or
/usr/lib/java for that matter), it only looks in subdirs of
/usr/lib/eclipse. I am not entirely sure how/when/where it looks, but in
eclipselink case, we will need to ship the respective feature files (of
course, these are not available in their source zip either).

I will not rule out that this package is useful on its own as it as
(e.g. in case someone links directly against it), but eclipse will not
pick it up.
If this is useful on its own, you may want to create a "library only"
version and a "eclipse integration" version of this package.

~Niels

NB: Some may remember I filed a bug against Azureus regarding GPL and
EPL being incompatible. In case you were wondering why I have not
commented on EPL and GPL in the License listing:
* The GPL part is not source code, so it is not linked to EPL code.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Miguel Landaeta

Niels Thykier wrote:
> Hi
Hi Niels,

> The changelog on git and on mentors differ (the former still have
> "UNRELEASED") - you may want to have the same release both on git and on
> mentors, since some sponsors checkout the git rather than using mentors.

They differ because mentors reject uploads not targeted to unstable.
Beyond that, what is in mentors and git is identical.
Usually the changelog is changed by me or my sponsor when the package is
uploaded to the archive.

> When it comes to eclipse, then Class-Path entries are ignored. Eclipse
> uses its own ClassLoaders, which only care about the OSGi metadata. I
> suspect the culprit is the OSGi standard and not eclipse in itself, but
> nevertheless this is the sad truth.
> Without relevant OSGi metadata in the jar and /all/ of its
> dependencies, eclipse either not bother looking at the jar or claim it
> is unable to find the dependencies.
>
> Furthermore, eclipse generally do not look at /usr/share/java (or
> /usr/lib/java for that matter), it only looks in subdirs of
> /usr/lib/eclipse. I am not entirely sure how/when/where it looks, but in
> eclipselink case, we will need to ship the respective feature files (of
> course, these are not available in their source zip either).
>
> I will not rule out that this package is useful on its own as it as
> (e.g. in case someone links directly against it), but eclipse will not
> pick it up.
> If this is useful on its own, you may want to create a "library only"
> version and a "eclipse integration" version of this package.

Yes, I packaged EclipseLink from the perspective of using it on its own.
In fact, the upstream binary release is packaged in the same way: one jar with
all the code and some external jars with dependences.

I like the idea of create a package meant to be integrated with Eclipse.
I will investigate how to integrate this properly with Eclipse.
Also, you are more than welcome to branch EclipseLink repo and contribute.

By now, IMHO a library only version is useful, since some components of the
Spring Framework 3.0 link with EclipseLink.

Cheers,

Miguel Landaeta, miguel at miguel.cc
secure email with PGP 0x7D8967E9 available at http://keyserver.pgp.com/

Old 06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Torsten Werner

Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Niels Thykier

On 2010-06-04 18:01, Torsten Werner wrote:
> Am 04.06.2010 17:34, schrieb Miguel Landaeta:
>> By now, IMHO a library only version is useful, since some components of the
>> Spring Framework 3.0 link with EclipseLink.
>
> ... and some of its dependencies are useful without eclipse. Thanks for
> packaging them.
>
> Cheers,
> Torsten

Certainly they are, when I said eclipse would not find its dependencies
I was just as much referring to packages like glassfish-javaee,
libasm-java and libasm2-java, which were packaged before my time.
I was not my intention to suggest that Miguel's work was any less than
it is. Personally I find your work and the efficiency quite refreshing.

~Niels