-   -   RFS: libgstreamer-java (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/373566-rfs-libgstreamer-java.html)

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello 05-20-2010 02:47 AM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "libgstreamer-java".

* Package name : libgstreamer-java
Version : 1.3-1
Upstream Author : Andres Colubri, Levente Farkas, Tal Shalif, Wayne
Meissner and Others
* License : LGPLv3
Section : java

It builds these binary packages:
libgstreamer-java - Java interface to the gstreamer framework

The upload would fix these bugs: 576984

My motivation for maintaining this package is: Gstreamer is a very
popular multimedia framework. I use it for an application I develop
and I believe it may be useful to other developers as well.

main contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libgstreamer-java/libgstreamer-java_1.3-1.dsc

Kind regards
Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello

أحمد المحمودي 05-20-2010 09:21 AM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

Hello,

I just found something simpler than get-orig-source, just append
"debian jh_repack" at the end of the line in debian/watch.

--
‎أ*مد الم*مودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
Digital design engineer

أحمد المحمودي 05-20-2010 12:05 PM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

Hello again,

I still think it would be better to use ant in building, it runs the
JUnit test suite, builds the javadoc, and also it properly cleans up
(by running: ant clean)

If you decide to use ant, you will need to add ant to Build-Deps.
Also, nbproject/project.properites need to be patched for ant to be
able to find the jna, junit4 & swt java libraries (Just change lib/ to
/usr/share/java/). Building can be done by running: ant jar

It is required to run the JUnit tests during build. So you will need
to add junit4, ant-optional & gstreamer0.10-plugins-base to
Build-Depends-Indep. Testing can be done by running: ant test

You also need to build the javadoc, also it has to be in a separate
package (libgstreamer-java-doc), if I understand correctly (I hope
someone would correct me if I am wrong), you will need to add
default-jdk-doc & libjna-java-doc to Build-Depends-Indep. javadoc can
be built by running: ant javadoc

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello 05-21-2010 03:19 AM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

> *I still think it would be better to use ant in building, it runs the
> *JUnit test suite, builds the javadoc, and also it properly cleans up
> *(by running: ant clean)

Done.

> *You also need to build the javadoc, also it has to be in a separate
> *package (libgstreamer-java-doc), if I understand correctly (I hope
> *someone would correct me if I am wrong), you will need to add
> *default-jdk-doc & libjna-java-doc to Build-Depends-Indep. javadoc can
> *be built by running: ant javadoc

It seems we don't need default-jdk-doc nor libjna-java-doc.

I have uploaded a new package that uses ant and builds the -doc package too.
Can you please review it?

Thank you,

- Samuel

أحمد المحمودي 05-22-2010 10:51 AM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:19:42AM -0300, Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello wrote:
> It seems we don't need default-jdk-doc nor libjna-java-doc.
---end quoted text---

I remember reading on that list to link the API documentation against
default-jdk-doc & API documentation of other java libs that the package
depends on.

Also, it was mentioned that those doc packages should be in Recommends
field of the API documentation package.

أحمد المحمودي 05-22-2010 10:56 AM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 01:51:51PM +0300, أ*مد الم*مودي wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:19:42AM -0300, Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello wrote:
> > It seems we don't need default-jdk-doc nor libjna-java-doc.
> ---end quoted text---
>
> I remember reading on that list to link the API documentation against
> default-jdk-doc & API documentation of other java libs that the package
> depends on.
>
> Also, it was mentioned that those doc packages should be in Recommends
> field of the API documentation package.
---end quoted text---

Here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2010/03/msg00126.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2010/03/msg00188.html

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello 05-22-2010 12:46 PM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

>> It seems we don't need default-jdk-doc nor libjna-java-doc.
> ---end quoted text---
>
> I remember reading on that list to link the API documentation against
> default-jdk-doc & API documentation of other java libs that the package
> depends on.
>
> Also, it was mentioned that those doc packages should be in Recommends
> field of the API documentation package.

Sorry, I didn't know that.

Is this a new standard? I went to packages.debian.org and randomly
picked some java-doc packages [1-5] to see how they implement this,
but I found no package that depends on other -doc packages.

Also, I didn't understand how the other -doc packages will affect the
javadoc compilation. Do we need to tell the javadoc compiler where the
documentation for other libraries are located?

- Samuel

[1] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/commons-vfs
[2] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/commons-beanutils
[3] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/libjna-java
[4] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/libflexdock-java
[5] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/javatar

Niels Thykier 05-22-2010 01:33 PM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello wrote:
>>> It seems we don't need default-jdk-doc nor libjna-java-doc.
>> ---end quoted text---
>>
>> I remember reading on that list to link the API documentation against
>> default-jdk-doc & API documentation of other java libs that the package
>> depends on.
>>
>> Also, it was mentioned that those doc packages should be in Recommends
>> field of the API documentation package.
>
> Sorry, I didn't know that.
>
> Is this a new standard? I went to packages.debian.org and randomly
> picked some java-doc packages [1-5] to see how they implement this,
> but I found no package that depends on other -doc packages.

Yes, it is rather new[1] and I suspect that the only a handful of
packages currently do this. Also we have very little tool support for
it, which does not help.

> Also, I didn't understand how the other -doc packages will affect the
> javadoc compilation. Do we need to tell the javadoc compiler where the
> documentation for other libraries are located?

I was asked the same question and figured it would fit good in our
FAQ[2]. If you want a "live example", have a look at libfreemarker-java[3].
The short version is that you will need to B-D(-I) on the doc packages
and tell javadoc where to find them.

The result of it is that freemarker's javadoc has functional links to
the other doc packages (assuming you have those installed of course).

> - Samuel
>
> [1] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/commons-vfs
> [2] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/commons-beanutils
> [3] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/libjna-java
> [4] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/libflexdock-java
> [5] http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/javatar

~Niels

[1] It was ratified with the 0.35 upload of java-common. Sadly the
actual changelog entry just mention a "policy change", so it is not
directly visible.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/j/java-common/news/20100405T221415Z.html

[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch4.html#s4.4.4

[3]
http://packages.qa.debian.org/libf/libfreemarker-java/news/20100403T163011Z.html

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello 05-24-2010 03:26 AM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

>>> ---end quoted text---
>>>
>>> I remember reading on that list to link the API documentation against
>>> default-jdk-doc & API documentation of other java libs that the package
>>> depends on.
>>>
>>> Also, it was mentioned that those doc packages should be in Recommends
>>> field of the API documentation package.
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't know that.
>>
>> Is this a new standard? I went to packages.debian.org and randomly
>> picked some java-doc packages [1-5] to see how they implement this,
>> but I found no package that depends on other -doc packages.
>>

> Yes, it is rather new[1] and I suspect that the only a handful of
> packages currently do this. Also we have very little tool support for
> it, which does not help.
>
>> Also, I didn't understand how the other -doc packages will affect the
>> javadoc compilation. Do we need to tell the javadoc compiler where the
>> documentation for other libraries are located?
>>

> I was asked the same question and figured it would fit good in our
> FAQ[2]. If you want a "live example", have a look at libfreemarker-java[3].
> *The short version is that you will need to B-D(-I) on the doc packages
> and tell javadoc where to find them.
>
> The result of it is that freemarker's javadoc has functional links to
> the other doc packages (assuming you have those installed of course).

Thank you for the information. It was really helpful.

I have just uploaded the new package to mentors.debian.net with the
changes. Can someone review it?

Thanks,

- Samuel

أحمد المحمودي 05-24-2010 05:56 AM

RFS: libgstreamer-java

Hello,

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:26:03AM -0300, Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello wrote:
> I have just uploaded the new package to mentors.debian.net with the
> changes. Can someone review it?
---end quoted text---

* If I understand correctly, you should also link against
libjna-java-doc, ie. in your patch you should also add:

-link /usr/share/doc/libjna-java-doc/api

Also, libjna-java-doc & default-jdk-doc should be added to Recommends
of libgstreamer-java-doc

* Please add DEP3 headers[1] to the patch.

* I see that debian/copyright did not mention that CC-by-SA license
for freedesktop icons in gstreamer-java/src/org/freedesktop/tango/

Btw, CC-by-SA 2.5 license is considered DFSG-incompatible [2]

Also when I run: licensecheck -r gstreamer-java --copyright , I
found that some files have other licenses like "MIT/X11 (BSD like)",
that needs to be documented in debian/copyright

* After using ant for building, ${java:Depends} does not get
substituted with the required java libs, to fix this, I made a patch
(attached here) to add the Class-Path to manifest, in order for
jh_depends to be able to find out the correct java dependencies.

Please try to get this patch to upstream, probably it won't be
accepted the way it is, because build-impl.xml should not be edited
manually, but hopefully the upstream would get the idea &
implemented in a proper way.

[1] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/
[2]
http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#CreativeCommonsAttribution-ShareAlikeGeneric.28CC-BY-SA.29.2Cv2.5