Old 05-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Pablo Duboue

Default performance of remotely accessed java gui applications

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Philipp Huebner <debalance@debian.org> wrote:
> Now, any ideas how to improve that situation?
> How can I run java applications like the example above remotely _smoothly_?

Have you tried VNC?

P.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Xerxes Ranby

Philipp Huebner wrote:

I've been using sun-java6, because in another case I had problems with
openjdk causing my X to create > 35% of cpu load permanently.

Please file a bugreport with instructions how to reproduce this 35%
permanent cpu load issue.

Now, any ideas how to improve that situation?
How can I run java applications like the example above remotely _smoothly_
OpenJDK Icedtea6-1.8 ships with a new xrender backend that are better
suited for running heavy GUI applications remote across the network.

Try running your application using Icedtea6-1.8 and the following
command line:

java -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True -jar circuit-construction-kit-dc_en.jar

The xrender backend are developed by Clemens Eisserer during the OpenJDK
Challenge

You should also check out the video recordings from Fosdem 2009 for a in
depth presentation of the xrender java2d pipeline. Its cool.

http://www.archive.org/details/fosdem_2009_free_java_xrender

Clemens work can be followed at:
http://linuxhippy.blogspot.com

Cheers and have a great day!
Xerxes

Old 05-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Philipp Huebner

Hi,

On 07.05.2010 22:51, Pablo Duboue wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Philipp Huebner <debalance@debian.org> wrote:
>> Now, any ideas how to improve that situation?
>> How can I run java applications like the example above remotely _smoothly_?
>
> Have you tried VNC?

No, because I don't see how I can deploy that in a sensible way for a
Terminalserver project.
AFAIK, I would need a vnc-enabled x-server for every session - not
practicable.

However, I gave x2go a try. Whatever they do, it works!
Java apps are running smoothly. Now I have to work out other issues
about x2go, but that is off-list.

.'`. Philipp Huebner <debalance@debian.org>
: :' : pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225 3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F
`. `'` HP: http://www.debalance.de, Skype: philipp-huebner
`- ICQ: 235-524-440, Jabber: der_schakal@jabber.org

Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Philipp Huebner

Hi,

On 07.05.2010 23:19, Xerxes Ranby wrote:
> Philipp Huebner wrote:
>> Now, any ideas how to improve that situation?
>> How can I run java applications like the example above remotely
>> _smoothly_
> OpenJDK Icedtea6-1.8 ships with a new xrender backend that are better
> suited for running heavy GUI applications remote across the network.
>
> Try running your application using Icedtea6-1.8 and the following
> command line:
> java -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True -jar circuit-construction-kit-dc_en.jar
>
> The xrender backend are developed by Clemens Eisserer during the OpenJDK
> Challenge
>
> You should also check out the video recordings from Fosdem 2009 for a in
> depth presentation of the xrender java2d pipeline. Its cool.
> http://www.archive.org/details/fosdem_2009_free_java_xrender
>
> Clemens work can be followed at:
> http://linuxhippy.blogspot.com

thanks for these hints, I will give them a try!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Philipp Huebner

Hi,

On 07.05.2010 23:19, Xerxes Ranby wrote:
>> Now, any ideas how to improve that situation?
>> How can I run java applications like the example above remotely
>> _smoothly_
> OpenJDK Icedtea6-1.8 ships with a new xrender backend that are better
> suited for running heavy GUI applications remote across the network.
>
> Try running your application using Icedtea6-1.8 and the following
> command line:
I could not get the icedtea plugin working. No idea what it did, but it
pushed all cpu cores to 100% when I browsed some java enabled webpages.

And iceweasel doesn't know how to handle *.jnlp files when I have the
icedtea plugin installed without any sun-java* packages.

> java -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True -jar circuit-construction-kit-dc_en.jar
Now that really helped!
This way it was really usable and remotely almost as good as locally.

Now, is there a place in /etc where I can set this option as a default?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Xerxes Rånby

On 2010-05-09 19:26, Philipp Huebner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07.05.2010 23:19, Xerxes Ranby wrote:
>
>>> Now, any ideas how to improve that situation?
>>> How can I run java applications like the example above remotely
>>> _smoothly_
>>>
>> OpenJDK Icedtea6-1.8 ships with a new xrender backend that are better
>> suited for running heavy GUI applications remote across the network.
>>
>> Try running your application using Icedtea6-1.8 and the following
>> command line:
>>
> I could not get the icedtea plugin working. No idea what it did, but it
> pushed all cpu cores to 100% when I browsed some java enabled webpages.
>
> And iceweasel doesn't know how to handle *.jnlp files when I have the
> icedtea plugin installed without any sun-java* packages.
>

>> java -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True -jar circuit-construction-kit-dc_en.jar
>>
> Now that really helped!
> This way it was really usable and remotely almost as good as locally.
>

> Now, is there a place in /etc where I can set this option as a default?
>

> Regards,

You can add

export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dsun.java2d.xrender=True"

to your ~/.profile

and it will make all java applications use the xrender pipeline by default!

xerxes@xerxes-J464X:~$ export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dsun.java2d.xrender=True"
xerxes@xerxes-J464X:~$ java -version
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dsun.java2d.xrender=True
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8) (6b18-1.8-0ubuntu1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

Thanks to Mark Wielaard for finding this solution.

Cheers
Xerxes