Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Thomas Koch

Default where to get jaxb from?

Hi,

for packaging jersey (dependency of a hbase contrib) I need jaxb. Now this
page make me believe, that jaxb (com.sun.xml.bind.v2) is included in openjdk6:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/325/2008/02/29/openjdk-6-now-has-jax-ws-21-and-
jaxb-21

So can I already use it somehow or do I need to download and package it from
here?
https://jaxb.dev.java.net/2.1.12/

Thank you,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Torsten Werner

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> for packaging jersey (dependency of a hbase contrib) I need jaxb. Now this
> page make me believe, that jaxb (com.sun.xml.bind.v2) is included in openjdk6:
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/325/2008/02/29/openjdk-6-now-has-jax-ws-21-and-
> jaxb-21

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar ships it as
com.sun.xml.internal.bind.v2.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Thomas Koch

Torsten Werner:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> > for packaging jersey (dependency of a hbase contrib) I need jaxb. Now
> > this page make me believe, that jaxb (com.sun.xml.bind.v2) is included in
> > openjdk6:
> > http://weblogs.java.net/blog/325/2008/02/29/openjdk-6-now-has-jax-ws-21-a
> >nd- jaxb-21
>
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/rt.jar ships it as
> com.sun.xml.internal.bind.v2.
>
> Cheers,
> Torsten

Danke. But do you know a way how I tell javac during compilation of jersey
that it should use com.sun.xml.internal.bind.v2 where the import statement
says com.sun.xml.bind.v2?

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 04-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Torsten Werner

Thomas Koch schrieb:
> Danke. But do you know a way how I tell javac during compilation of jersey
> that it should use com.sun.xml.internal.bind.v2 where the import statement
> says com.sun.xml.bind.v2?

I have tried ant's filtering but it does not work. You can run
sed recursively.

Please file a bug report against the upstream package that is should
work with openjdk's jaxb implementation.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 04-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Torsten Werner

Torsten Werner schrieb:
> I have tried ant's filtering but it does not work. You can run
> sed recursively.

I'm stupid.

<copy file="in" toFile="out">
<filterchain>
<tokenfilter>
<replacestring from="com.sun.xml.bind.v2"
to="com.sun.xml.internal.bind.v2"/>
</tokenfilter>
</filterchain>
</copy>

just works.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Thomas Koch

Torsten Werner:
> Torsten Werner schrieb:
> > I have tried ant's filtering but it does not work. You can run
> > sed recursively.
>
> I'm stupid.
>
> <copy file="in" toFile="out">
> <filterchain>
> <tokenfilter>
> <replacestring from="com.sun.xml.bind.v2"
> to="com.sun.xml.internal.bind.v2"/>
> </tokenfilter>
> </filterchain>
> </copy>
>
> just works.
>
> Cheers,
> Torsten

Thank you, I'll have no problem to do a search-replace over multiple files.
Vim to the rescue! But that's not my concern. My question is, whether I'm
allowed to use com.sun.xml.internal or if this is "internal" and my change at
any point in the future or across different jvm implementations.

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Emmanuel Bourg

Thomas Koch a écrit :

Thank you, I'll have no problem to do a search-replace over multiple files.
Vim to the rescue! But that's not my concern. My question is, whether I'm
allowed to use com.sun.xml.internal or if this is "internal" and my change at
any point in the future or across different jvm implementations.

That sounds a bit risky and prone to break in the future. The JAXB RI is
licensed under CDDL+GPL2, so it should be possible to package it and
depend on this version instead.

Emmanuel Bourg

Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Torsten Werner

Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Emmanuel Bourg

Le 29/04/2010 13:32, Torsten Werner a écrit :

But neither com.sun.xml.internal.bind.v2 nor com.sun.xml.bind.v2 are
public APIs. The API is javax.xml.bind and it wouldn't help to package
another implementation that can break in the future. Do you think otherwise?

I don't think so, the API isn't necessarily closed because the package
begins with com.sun.*. For example the JNA API is under com.sun.jna.

You are doing something wrong when your application depends on an API
found in the Java implementation that wasn't part of the Java SE
specification. If you depend on a JDK specific package like
com.sun.xml.internal.bind.v2 you know there is no guarantee it will
still work in a future upgrade. On the other hand, an independent
package for com.sun.xml.bind.v2 is safe.

I agree it would be better if Jersey used only javax.xml.bind, but if it
relies on specific features of the JAXB RI it can't be helped.

Emmanuel Bourg

Old 06-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Torsten Werner

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
> On the other hand, an independent package for com.sun.xml.bind.v2 is safe.

is there any progress on this issue? I have found out that I need
jaxb-xjc v2 for packaging the jaxb2-maven-plugin
<http://mojo.codehaus.org/jaxb2-maven-plugin/> which is needed for
hibernate-validator which is needed for the annotations and
entitymanager modules of the main hibernate package. Jaxb-xjc is part
of the jaxb RI <https://jaxb.dev.java.net/>.

Cheers,
Torsten