Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Pablo Duboue

Default Debian Java track at DebConf 10

Hello,

I'd like to coordinate a Debian-Java track in DebConf10. We have so far two
java-related talks/BoF submitted and Adnan and I are preparing a third one.

These are some example talks that I personally would like to attend (the
examples are intended to get those talk-submission creative juices going):

* A talk explaining the current state of the Java Policy and where we want to
take it in the longer term. Doesn't need to be a talk, it can a joust ;-)

* A talk explaining javahelper, maybe focusing on newer developments if such a
talk has been offered on past DebConfs

* A tutorial on Maven (I'd really like to attend that ;-)

* A talk with Lessons learned on Eclipse packaging or similar efforts

* A talk describing the Hadoop packaging

* A talk explaining bindv6only issues and Java networking

And any other talk related to Debian and Java.

If you submit a talk, please mention in the submission notes that you'd like
to have it as part of the Java track.

(Please drop debconf-team for debian-java-related follow-ups.)

See you all in NYC!

Pablo

Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Tom Marble

Pablo Duboue wrote:
> I'd like to coordinate a Debian-Java track in DebConf10
Sounds like a good idea! We should encourage related language (e.g. Clojure)
talks as well.

> * A talk explaining the current state of the Java Policy and where we want to
> take it in the longer term. Doesn't need to be a talk, it can a joust ;-)
>
> * A talk explaining javahelper, maybe focusing on newer developments if such a
> talk has been offered on past DebConfs

I suspect these will be topics that interest many Java hackers.
One of the old discussions we had on this topic was how to think
of these topics in a way that can benefit other distros as well [0].

For example, our friends from another popular Libre distro are
concerned (rightly so) about Java security [1]. Anyone care to
give a Java security talk (or is this really just a special case
of a GNU/Linux security talk)?

Regards,

--Tom

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2007/06/threads.html#00023
[1] http://identi.ca/conversation/26332216

Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Pablo Duboue

(this is an e-mail soliciting talks for a Debian-Java track at
DebConf10, please CC: me unless you also reply to the debian-java
mailing list)

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Tom Marble <tmarble@info9.net> wrote:
> Pablo Duboue wrote:
>> I'd like to coordinate a Debian-Java track in DebConf10
> Sounds like a good idea!

Looking forward to your jigsaw talk :-)

> We should encourage related language (e.g. Clojure) talks as well.

Indeed. I learned scala because I found about it through Debian :-)
I'm CC:ing the Scala maintainers to see if they feel like giving a
talk. (Groovy and clojure are Debian-Java maintained so the
maintainers should be getting this already.)

Alternatively, we can have a JVM-based languages BoF session. If
anybody is interested in the topic, please submit it before the
deadline (in three days).

>> * A talk explaining the current state of the Java Policy and where we want to
>> take it in the longer term. Doesn't need to be a talk, it can a joust ;-)
>>
>> * A talk explaining javahelper, maybe focusing on newer developments if such a
>> talk has been offered on past DebConfs
>
> I suspect these will be topics that interest many Java hackers.
> One of the old discussions we had on this topic was how to think
> of these topics in a way that can benefit other distros as well [0].

(that thread looks very good, I'll read it at a later time, thanks for
pointing to it)

with respect to other distros, yes, in that area the Eclipse packaging
is heavily based on the work of Linux Tools in Eclipse, with a number
of people from Red Hat, so it is nice if we can identify things we do
to return the favor ;-)

Does anybody has experience using java tooling in other distros and
will be willing to sign up for a talk on the subject?

> For example, our friends from another popular Libre distro are
> concerned (rightly so) about Java security [1]. *Anyone care to
> give a Java security talk (or is this really just a special case
> of a GNU/Linux security talk)?

We recently had issues with duplicated code in bsh [2]. Maybe there're
people in Debian-Security with particular expertise to Java that'd
like to give a talk (or a joint talk)?

Again, the deadline for talks is soon so go for it :-)

P.

[2] http://lists.debian.org/4BB8F651.2040902@gmail.com

Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Mehdi Dogguy

On 27/04/2010 23:52, Pablo Duboue wrote:

>> We should encourage related language (e.g. Clojure) talks as well.
>
> Indeed. I learned scala because I found about it through Debian :-) I'm
> CC:ing the Scala maintainers to see if they feel like giving a talk.
> (Groovy and clojure are Debian-Java maintained so the maintainers
> should be getting this already.)

For now, the Scala Maintainers "team" is "me", and I won't have enough time
to prepare a talk. But, I'll be at Debconf10 and I'll attend Java talks.

Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/

Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to coordinate a Debian-Java track in DebConf10. We have so far two
> java-related talks/BoF submitted and Adnan and I are preparing a third one.
>
> These are some example talks that I personally would like to attend (the
> examples are intended to get those talk-submission creative juices going):
>

> * A talk explaining the current state of the Java Policy and where we want to
> take it in the longer term. Doesn't need to be a talk, it can a joust ;-)
>
> * A talk explaining javahelper, maybe focusing on newer developments if such a
> talk has been offered on past DebConfs
>
> * A tutorial on Maven (I'd really like to attend that ;-)
>
> * A talk with Lessons learned on Eclipse packaging or similar efforts
>
> * A talk describing the Hadoop packaging
>
> * A talk explaining bindv6only issues and Java networking
>

> And any other talk related to Debian and Java.
>
> If you submit a talk, please mention in the submission notes that you'd like
> to have it as part of the Java track.
>
> (Please drop debconf-team for debian-java-related follow-ups.)

I haven't yet decided whether or not to go to debconf10, but I would
really like to have some discussion around dynamic languages around
JVM, especially Clojure. There are some interesting packaging problems
there. Also Polyglot maven is on the horizon and some discussion
around that will be great as well.

I need to make up my mind on whether I need to attend Debconf10 or
not. I haven't attended any debconf till date being too far away
requiring lots of money to attend. I have a visa though. But this
discussion really makes me attend it. I am quite passionate about
clojure and building an ecosystem for it in Debian.

Ramakrishnan

Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Torsten Werner

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to coordinate a Debian-Java track in DebConf10.

good idea

> * A talk explaining the current state of the Java Policy and where we want to
> take it in the longer term.

It can be more general: current state of Java in Debian and our plans
for the future.

> * A tutorial on Maven (I'd really like to attend that ;-)

I have started submitting a talk about the "Java packaging nightmare"
but I might talk about packaging with Maven instead.

> * A talk explaining bindv6only issues and Java networking

I think that this topic is not interesting enough.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Torsten Werner

I've removed the security team.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Mehdi Dogguy <mehdi@dogguy.org> wrote:
> For now, the Scala Maintainers "team" is "me", and I won't have enough time
> to prepare a talk. But, I'll be at Debconf10 and I'll attend Java talks.

Everybody knows that Scala will be the next big thing and it would
be a good idea to discuss it. How to package Scala libs and apps? Is
our naming scheme for binary packages (libsomething-java) correct?
Shouldn't it be better libsomething-jvm? ...

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 04-29-2010, 02:17 AM
Pablo Duboue

On Wednesday 28 April 2010, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to coordinate a Debian-Java track in DebConf10. We have so far
> > two java-related talks/BoF submitted and Adnan and I are preparing a
> > third one.
>
> I haven't yet decided whether or not to go to debconf10, but I would
> really like to have some discussion around dynamic languages around
> JVM, especially Clojure. There are some interesting packaging problems
> there. Also Polyglot maven is on the horizon and some discussion
> around that will be great as well.
>
> I need to make up my mind on whether I need to attend Debconf10 or
> not. I haven't attended any debconf till date being too far away
> requiring lots of money to attend. I have a visa though. But this
> discussion really makes me attend it. I am quite passionate about
> clojure and building an ecosystem for it in Debian.

Well, if you're still on the fence you might qualify for this:

http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/Sponsoring_non-regulars_for_DebConf10/

(particularly as you mention you have never attended a DebConf before)

Also, NYC is very active in Clojure, as far as I can tell from the LispNYC
group:

http://www.lispnyc.org/home.clp

(don't miss the talk by Rich Hickey in 13 November 2007, it's called "Clojure
- A Dynamic Programming Language for the JVM" ';-)

If you e-mail their mailing list you might get to meet some other Clojure
people aside from the DebConf crowd.

P.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Pablo Duboue

On Wednesday 28 April 2010, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> On 27/04/2010 23:52, Pablo Duboue wrote:
> >> We should encourage related language (e.g. Clojure) talks as well.
> >
> > Indeed. I learned scala because I found about it through Debian :-) I'm
> > CC:ing the Scala maintainers to see if they feel like giving a talk.
> > (Groovy and clojure are Debian-Java maintained so the maintainers
> > should be getting this already.)
>
> For now, the Scala Maintainers "team" is "me", and I won't have enough time
> to prepare a talk. But, I'll be at Debconf10 and I'll attend Java talks.

How do you feel about coordinating a BoF session on non-Java JVM-based
languages? That's a very quick to write submission and if Ramakrishnan
attends, we will have at least another person interested in Clojure.

And of course at least Torsten and I have already expressed an interest in
scala :-)

P.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 AM
Pablo Duboue

On Wednesday 28 April 2010, Torsten Werner wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > * A talk explaining the current state of the Java Policy and where we
> > want to take it in the longer term.
>
> It can be more general: current state of Java in Debian and our plans
> for the future.

yes! yes! Now... who?

> > * A tutorial on Maven (I'd really like to attend that ;-)
>
> I have started submitting a talk about the "Java packaging nightmare"
> but I might talk about packaging with Maven instead.

sounds great.

I'm sending a draft to my co-presenter tonight and will have a talk on JSR 121
for tomorrow with some luck.

P.