-   -   RFS: acgvision-agent (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/358902-rfs-acgvision-agent.html)

Rémi Debay 04-19-2010 02:24 PM

RFS: acgvision-agent

Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "acgvision-agent".

* Package name : acgvision-agent
Version : 5.1.4-1

Upstream Author : Rémi Debay remi.debay@acgcenter.com

* License : Gnu GPLV2
Section : net

It builds these binary packages:
acgvision-agent - ACGVision java monitoring Agent.

My motivation for maintaining this package is: I am the original developper of ACGvision. My aim is to release it on Debian
to complete the process of making 100% free and opensource. I am use to debian but I still need to improve my skills on packaging.

To the momment the agent is on contrib because of the server which downloads glassfish during install. I think the agent could be on main but i am not sure.

This package uses java and I would be glad for any advices given.

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/acgvision-agent/acgvision-agent_5.1.4-1.dsc

Kind regards
Rémi Debay,

ACGCenter

Synergie Park Des Bonnettes
2, rue Willy Brandt
62000 Arras

Ligne directe : +33 (0)3 21 15 36 36

Email : *remi.debay@acgcenter.com

www.acgcenter.com

Torsten Werner 04-21-2010 07:46 PM

RFS: acgvision-agent

Hi Rémi,

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Rémi Debay <remi.debay@acgcenter.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "acgvision-agent".

there are some issues and some of them are not specific to Java:

You should file a WNPP bug Cc-ing debian-java@lists.debian.org and
close it through debian/changelog.

The file debian/conffiles should not be needed. Please remove it.

The binary package should not Depend: java-virtual-machine. Please remove it.

The binary package should not Depend on java2-runtime only. Please use
something like default-jre-headless | java2-runtime-headless -
whatever is correct for your package. Please ask if you are not sure.

BTW, why do you Build-Depend: openjdk-6-jdk instead of default-jdk? Is
openjdk really needed for building?

The long description has a typo (communcate), misses a full stop and
is very short. Please be more verbose.

The copyright file is empty and wouldn't be accepted by the FTP team.

Creating /var/log/acgvision in postinst shouldn't be needed but...

... postrm should remove /var/log/acgvision-agent only when purging.
But wait: is it /var/log/acgvision or /var/log/acgvision-agent? You
have the first variant in debian/dirs.

prerm is virtually empty and should be removed.

The #DEBHELPER# token is missing in all three scripts.

You call ant directly without refering to $JAVA_HOME in debian/rules.
That is not good. Please check other packages that Build-Depend
java-helper for examples of better packaging practices. I have been
told that jsch might be such an example. And don't forget to read the
tutorial for java-helper.

I cannot build the package because my cowbuilder does not work for
unknown reasons and that is why I stop checking your package now,
sorry.

Cheers,
Torsten

Rémi Debay 04-23-2010 12:48 PM

RFS: acgvision-agent

Hi

Many thanks for reviewing my package.

I fixed most of things you told me. But I have a question about a warning you gave me on lintian :
script-with-language-extension usr/sbin/acgvision-agent.sh

I renamed the file to acgvision-agent. But now debuild tells it ignores the new file.

I think i should include the change in the original source code (and the change is not debian specific) and so increment the version number from 5.1.4 to 5.1.5

Could anyone confirm me it is the right way to proceed or is there a cleaner way to proceed?

*

Rémi Debay 04-26-2010 12:29 PM

RFS: acgvision-agent

Hi all,

I uploaded version 5.1.4-2 of my package. It can be found on mentors using :

Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free

dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/acgvision-agent/acgvision-agent_5.1.4-2.dsc

I tryed to fix the errors you showed me.
Here are the details :
You should file a WNPP bug Cc-ing debian-java@lists.debian.org and

* close it through debian/changelog.

I did, the number is debbugs #578719

* The file debian/conffiles should not be needed. Please remove it.

Ok, i removed the file.

The binary package should not Depend: java-virtual-machine. Please remove it.
The binary package should not Depend on java2-runtime only. Please use
something like default-jre-headless | java2-runtime-headless -

whatever is correct for your package. Please ask if you are not sure.

I remove java-virtual-machine and added default-jre-headless | java2-runtime-headless

BTW, why do you Build-Depend: openjdk-6-jdk instead of default-jdk? Is
Openjdk really needed for building?
I replaced openjdk by the default-jdk.

The long description has a typo (communcate), misses a full stop and

is very short. Please be more verbose.

I wrote a new (and longer) description and add "." for the full stop. Not sure about what is "the full stop".

The copyright file is empty and wouldn't be accepted by the FTP team.

I created one

Creating /var/log/acgvision in postinst shouldn't be needed but...

... postrm should remove /var/log/acgvision-agent only when purging.

But wait: is it /var/log/acgvision or /var/log/acgvision-agent? You

have the first variant in debian/dirs.

I rewrite a new way to handle log removing. The default log directory is acgvision. The acgvision-core package (not uploaded yet) logs its file there too.

prerm is virtually empty and should be removed.
I removed it

The #DEBHELPER# token is missing in all three scripts.
I add it too.

You call ant directly without refering to $JAVA_HOME in debian/rules.

That is not good. Please check other packages that Build-Depend

java-helper for examples of better packaging practices. I have been

told that jsch might be such an example. And don't forget to read the

tutorial for java-helper.

I add the $JAVA_HOME.

I also fixed some errors torsten showed me with lintian :
Add a manpage for acgvision-agent (Maybe I should write one for each script). I am not sure this page is well formed it is the first manpage i write.

Renamed all scripts without .sh or .ksh extension using mv in debian/rules (thanks torsten for this tip). A bug has been open on the upstream acgvision site about this for the next release. Changed the homepage of acgvision to the new page on launchpad.

add -e option to all maintainers scripts.added the force-reload option to the init.d scriptI add a lintian error : acgvision-agent source: missing-debian-source-format.
But i dont understand how to play with this.

Could anyone download and review my package please?

Thank you for your help.

Torsten Werner 04-26-2010 12:46 PM

RFS: acgvision-agent

Hi Rémi,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop

> I add a lintian error : acgvision-agent source:
> missing-debian-source-format.
> But i dont understand how to play with this.

Just add a file debian/source/format with the following line:

3.0 (quilt)

> Could anyone download and review my package please?

Not now but maybe later tonight.

Cheers,
Torsten

Rémi Debay 04-26-2010 04:49 PM

RFS: acgvision-agent

Hi Torsten

Thank you, for this information.

I uploaded a new revision fixing those two problems :

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/acgvision-agent/acgvision-agent_5.1.4-3.dsc

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4BD58B3F.2040509@googlemail.com

Rémi Debay 04-27-2010 07:45 AM

RFS: acgvision-agent

hi

Many thanks for the rapid answer.

I changed the copyright file to use GPL3 as all the code is under GPL3. I should have used the GPL2 when programming it but i mistake...
I replaced the docs/licence.txt by the GPL2 text.

I deleted the file* etc/InstallCert.java. I don't use it.

The new upload can be find there :

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/acgvision-agent/acgvision-agent_5.1.4-5.dsc

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Torsten Werner <mail.twerner@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Rémi Debay <remi.debay@acgcenter.com> wrote:

> I uploaded a new revision fixing those two problems :

The copyright file is still incorrect:

- The download address does not exist.

- Most code is GPL-3+ licensed, not GPL-2. (but docs/licence.txt is a

copy of the GPL-2)

- The file etc/InstallCert.java is BSD licensed.

Please document all copyrights and licenses.

Cheers,

Torsten

Torsten Werner 04-29-2010 07:47 PM

RFS: acgvision-agent

Hi Rémi,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Rémi Debay <remi.debay@acgcenter.com> wrote:
> I deleted the file* etc/InstallCert.java. I don't use it.

this file is still in the tarball. Do you want me to remove it before
uploading the package?

Cheers,
Torsten

Rémi Debay 04-29-2010 08:09 PM

RFS: acgvision-agent

Hi Torsten,

Do you mean that the file is still in the .orig.tar ?

I thought I am not allowed to modify this file except if it's the first version (and it's the fifth).

If it is allowed, I d be glad if you delete it but could you explain me how to proceed (Except if it is a easy untar rm tar stuff).

Thank you very much for your help.

Torsten Werner 04-29-2010 08:18 PM

RFS: acgvision-agent

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Rémi Debay <remi.debay@acgcenter.com> wrote:
> Do you mean that the file is still in the .orig.tar ?

yes

> I thought I am not allowed to modify this file except if it's the first
> version (and it's the fifth).

That is maybe a limitation of the mentors server? I don't know. You
could have used the pkg-java infrastructure on alioth instead. :)

> If it is allowed, I d be glad if you delete it but could you explain me how
> to proceed (Except if it is a easy untar rm tar stuff).

I have just uploaded your package with the file removed. Just make
sure, you remove it from your VCS.

Cheers,
Torsten