Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Java (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/)
-   -   Policy Changes: Executable jars and removal of Compiler section. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/355822-policy-changes-executable-jars-removal-compiler-section.html)

Niels Thykier 04-12-2010 05:06 PM

Policy Changes: Executable jars and removal of Compiler section.
 
Hi

p1_remove_compiler_sect.patch will remove the section "Java Compilers"
and all references to the virtual packages java-virtual-machine,
java-compiler and java2-compiler.
If accepted I will officially retire the following virtual packages on
behalf of the team:

* java-virtual-machine
* java-compiler
* java2-compiler packages.


p2_java_executables.patch rewords the part about executable jar files
under the Java Programs section. It will allow Java Programs to install
in accordance with the Debian Policy (and not just in /usr/bin). It also
specifies where private jar files should be placed.

This patch are based on #227594 and #395372 and will allow us to close
them both.


Also, if you have a proposal (or your made one during the last patch
review) please feel free to submit it as a bug against java-common.
You are also more than welcome to contact me if you need help with the
wording or just want to discuss the debate before submitting it.

~Niels

Torsten Werner 04-12-2010 08:53 PM

Policy Changes: Executable jars and removal of Compiler section.
 
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> If accepted I will officially retire the following virtual packages on
> behalf of the team:

looks good to me.

Cheers,
Torsten


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: t2va90bfcf1004121353n26756308ifd268e1c131a9b7c@mai l.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/t2va90bfcf1004121353n26756308ifd268e1c131a9b7c@mai l.gmail.com

Matthias Klose 04-12-2010 10:50 PM

Policy Changes: Executable jars and removal of Compiler section.
 
On 12.04.2010 19:06, Niels Thykier wrote:

p2_java_executables.patch rewords the part about executable jar files
under the Java Programs section. It will allow Java Programs to install
in accordance with the Debian Policy (and not just in /usr/bin). It also
specifies where private jar files should be placed.


what is wrong with jars executed directly with the binfmt-support?

Matthias


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4BC3A3AE.1080000@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/4BC3A3AE.1080000@debian.org

Niels Thykier 04-15-2010 06:55 PM

Policy Changes: Executable jars and removal of Compiler section.
 
Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Mon Apr 12 19:06, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> p2_java_executables.patch rewords the part about executable jar files
>> under the Java Programs section. It will allow Java Programs to install
>> in accordance with the Debian Policy (and not just in /usr/bin). It also
>> specifies where private jar files should be placed.
>>
>
> You should mention a requirement for a Main-Class attribute if you are using
> executable jars.
>
> Matt
>

Hi

I have reworded the p2 patch to include this.

Thanks for the suggestion,
~Niels

Niels Thykier 04-16-2010 01:25 PM

Policy Changes: Executable jars and removal of Compiler section.
 
Niels Thykier wrote:
> Hi
>
> p1_remove_compiler_sect.patch will remove the section "Java Compilers"
> and all references to the virtual packages java-virtual-machine,
> java-compiler and java2-compiler.
> If accepted I will officially retire the following virtual packages on
> behalf of the team:
>
> * java-virtual-machine
> * java-compiler
> * java2-compiler packages.
>
>
> p2_java_executables.patch rewords the part about executable jar files
> under the Java Programs section. It will allow Java Programs to install
> in accordance with the Debian Policy (and not just in /usr/bin). It also
> specifies where private jar files should be placed.
>
> This patch are based on #227594 and #395372 and will allow us to close
> them both.
>
>
> Also, if you have a proposal (or your made one during the last patch
> review) please feel free to submit it as a bug against java-common.
> You are also more than welcome to contact me if you need help with the
> wording or just want to discuss the debate before submitting it.
>
> ~Niels
>
>
>

I see I forgot to give a deadline.

I will be away for the weekend, so if I do not see any objections on
Monday I will apply p1_remove_compiler_sect.patch and
p2_java_executables_r2.patch.

Have a good weekend,
~Niels

Niels Thykier 04-19-2010 06:20 AM

Policy Changes: Executable jars and removal of Compiler section.
 
Good morning and happy Monday.

I have just committed p1_remove_compiler_sect.patch and
p2_java_executables_r2.patch.

I will upload java-common later today.

~Niels

Torsten Werner 04-19-2010 07:15 AM

Policy Changes: Executable jars and removal of Compiler section.
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Niels Thykier schrieb:
> I will upload java-common later today.

Feel free to update the FAQ, too.

Cheers,
Torsten
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkvMAyoACgkQfY3dicTPjsMOlACfd3Mj/40MgaakVvKy3wSBmdvS
KMYAn1yhAkizv7pJPfjNsyZYGgDItNtB
=537Z
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-java-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4BCC032A.6060204@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BCC032A.6060204@googlemail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.