Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Niels Thykier

Default Package for gstreamer-java

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello wrote:
> Hi

I am moving this to our debate list <debian-java AT lists.debian.org>.

> I'm developing an open source application that uses GStreamer using
> gstreamer-java binding [1].
>
> I would like to have gstreamer-java available in debian repositories,
> so I will be able to just reference it as a dependency. I believe that
> many other applications could use it too.
>
> Gstreamer-java is already in Fedora repositories [2].
>
> I have asked in the gstreamer-java development mail list about debian
> packaging and the maintainers said that the main obstacle is the lack
> of a debian maintainer. I have asked pkg-gstreamer-maintainers, but
> they don't have expertise with java packages.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help to make it into debian?

If the bindings are separate from gstreamer itself, then you can package
it yourself or ask us to do it (by filing an ITP or an RFP bug against
wnpp).
If this is not the case however, then the gstreamer maintainers are
more than welcome to contact us for advice about the java-bindings.

> Thank you,
>
> - Samuel
>
> [1] http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/bindings/java.html
> [2] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/gstreamer-java
>
> __
> This is the maintainer address of Debian's Java team
> <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-java-maintainers>. Please use
> debian-java@lists.debian.org for discussions and questions.

~Niels

Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello

>> I'm developing an open source application that uses GStreamer using
>> gstreamer-java binding [1].
>>
>> I would like to have gstreamer-java available in debian repositories,
>> so I will be able to just reference it as a dependency. I believe that
>> many other applications could use it too.
>>
>> Gstreamer-java is already in Fedora repositories [2].
>>
>> I have asked in the gstreamer-java development mail list about debian
>> packaging and the maintainers said that the main obstacle is the lack
>> of a debian maintainer. I have asked pkg-gstreamer-maintainers, but
>> they don't have expertise with java packages.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to help to make it into debian?
>>

> If the bindings are separate from gstreamer itself, then you can package
> it yourself or ask us to do it (by filing an ITP or an RFP bug against
> wnpp).

Hi,

The bindings are independent from gstreamer. It depends only on jni
and swt jars and use ant as build system.

I searched for documentation on how to create debian packages for java
libraries but I'm a bit confused on which tools to choose
(CDBS/dh_make, quilt/dpatch, etc). Reading the New Maintainers' Guide,
it seems I could use dh_make and manually edit debian/rules to call
ant to build/install/clean, overriding almost all dh_* targets. Would
this be a good approach?

Is there any additional documentation that can help me?

Thank you,

- Samuel

Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Matthew Johnson

On Mon Apr 05 14:54, Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello wrote:
> The bindings are independent from gstreamer. It depends only on jni
> and swt jars and use ant as build system.
>
> I searched for documentation on how to create debian packages for java
> libraries but I'm a bit confused on which tools to choose
> (CDBS/dh_make, quilt/dpatch, etc). Reading the New Maintainers' Guide,
> it seems I could use dh_make and manually edit debian/rules to call
> ant to build/install/clean, overriding almost all dh_* targets. Would
> this be a good approach?
>
> Is there any additional documentation that can help me?

I recommend looking at the documentation in the javahelper package, and then
running jh_makepkg to get your starting position. These are tools similar to
debhelper (in addition to) which are java-specific.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson

Old 04-06-2010, 03:38 AM
Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello

> I recommend looking at the documentation in the javahelper package, and then
> running jh_makepkg to get your starting position. These are tools similar to
> debhelper (in addition to) which are java-specific.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

- Samuel