Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Vincent Fourmond

Default Integrating the FOSDEM 06 Draft into the Java Policy

Hello,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Damien Raude-Morvan
<damien@raude-morvan.com> wrote:
> *Programs and libraries &should; enable JUnit tests, if these are present.
> **However, these tests &mustnot; lead to build failures.*
>
> For some library packages (ie. commons-maths), I'm confidence enough to
> enable unit tests and trust upstream QA : if some JUnit tests fail there
> must be a problem somewhere (Build-Depends, JVM, pbuilder/buildd
> context...) and package should not be uploaded/NMUed.
> For example, in commons-math I've made a patch to comply with this policy
> [1], which made me a little awkward
>
> What do you think about rephrase it to something like :
>
> *Programs and libraries &should; enable JUnit tests, if these are present.
> **However, these tests &should; not lead to build failures unless
> Maintainer is confident enough that tests are stable between builds*

I think we are missing the point here; for instance, I've mostly
disabled junit tests because they depend on not-yet-packaged or even
non-DFSG-free libraries. I think both formulations are too oriented
towards: "junit tests should be enabled unless they fail", which
basically defeats the purpose of any test suite. I think we don't need
any comment about build failures: "should" is weak enough that a
maintainer could disable it if he/she thinks there are good reasons to
do so.

Cheers,

Vincent

Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Vincent Fourmond

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> wrote:
>> * I think we are missing the point here; for instance, I've mostly
>> disabled junit tests because they depend on not-yet-packaged or even
>> non-DFSG-free libraries. I think both formulations are too oriented
>> towards: "junit tests should be enabled unless they fail", which
>> basically defeats the purpose of any test suite. I think we don't need
>> any comment about build failures: "should" is weak enough that a
>> maintainer could disable it if he/she thinks there are good reasons to
>> do so.
>
> I believe the default was 'off' because having transients which aren't actually
> problems causing the build to fail on a buildd is bad. I certainly agree with
> Damien's phrasing, if you are sure they are fine then you can have them cause
> the build to fail, but you should actively be thinking in that direction.

I completely agree with you, but what I find is that it is
"packaging common sense" and not policy. My "proposition" is simply to
let the "should" mean "use your common sense" and not specify further.

Cheers,

Vincent

Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Vincent Fourmond

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Eric Lavarde <Eric@lavar.de> wrote:
> one more thing: we could actually also get rid of all javaX-runtime where X
> < 6, or is there any package left in Debian that provides only less than
> java6?

Package: gcj-4.4-jre
Provides: java-runtime, java1-runtime, java2-runtime, java5-runtime

No java6-runtime, here...

Vincent