Old 03-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Niels Thykier

Default RFS: pleiades - Japanese Language package for Eclipse using Dynamic AOP - IANADD

Hideki Yamane wrote:
> Dear mentors (CC: debian-java@lists.debian.org),
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "pleiades", Japanese Language package
> for Eclipse. It is very popular for Japanese Eclipse users. Its newest release
> is downloaded about 50,000 times.
>
> * Package name : pleiades
> Version : 1.3.1-dfsg-1
> Upstream Author : Shinji Kashihara
> * License : Eclipse Public License 1.0
> Section : devel
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> pleiades - Japanese Language package for Eclipse using Dynamic AOP, Pleiades

> My motivation for maintaining this package is: improve Japanese desktop envrioment

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/pleiades/pleiades_1.3.1-dfsg-1.dsc

Hi

Thanks for taking your time to package this; it is much appreciated. I
have had a look at your package, but as the subject says, I am not a DD.

It would be nice if it could be installed beneath /usr/share/eclipse/
rather than /usr/lib/eclipse/ because it is a large arch all package.
However it did not work when I tried to move it (even when symlinking
from /usr/lib/eclipse/). I think it complained because it could not find
the eclipse.ini file[1].

pleiades failed without libjavassist-java present; I think you should
also add libcommons-lang-java and libcommons-io-java to Depends (since
they are also mentioned in the classpath of pleiades's jar file).
I did not test if they are strictly required (I already have those
packages installed due to other packages). Even if they are not strictly
required, I believe a recommends or a suggests is in order.

I am a little unsure about whether pleiades should recommend a JVM. That
being said, eclipse (and therefore also pleiades) is an X11 application,
so if anything it should recommend default-jre and not the -headless.
But I would like to hear you reason for recommending
default-jre(-headless).

As for building, I think you should Build-Depend on default-jdk instead
of openjdk-6-jdk | gcj-jdk. Then set (and export) JAVA_HOME to
/usr/lib/jvm/default-java.

Once again, thanks for packaging this.

~Niels

[1] Guessed from the stack trace rather than the error message, which
was written in Japanese.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Hideki Yamane

Hi,

thank you for review!

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:17:16 +0100
Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> It would be nice if it could be installed beneath /usr/share/eclipse/
> rather than /usr/lib/eclipse/ because it is a large arch all package.

put it to /usr/share/eclipse, now.

> However it did not work when I tried to move it (even when symlinking
> from /usr/lib/eclipse/). I think it complained because it could not find
> the eclipse.ini file[1].

Could you try updated package?

> pleiades failed without libjavassist-java present; I think you should
> also add libcommons-lang-java and libcommons-io-java to Depends (since
> they are also mentioned in the classpath of pleiades's jar file).

Thanks, fixed.

> But I would like to hear you reason for recommending
> default-jre(-headless).

Okay, nothing to pull it (I can't remember that reason...

> As for building, I think you should Build-Depend on default-jdk instead
> of openjdk-6-jdk | gcj-jdk. Then set (and export) JAVA_HOME to
> /usr/lib/jvm/default-java.

Use default-jdk for now.

Hideki Yamane henrich @ debian.or.jp/iijmio-mail.jp
http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane

Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Niels Thykier

Hideki Yamane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you for review!
>
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:17:16 +0100
> Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
>> It would be nice if it could be installed beneath /usr/share/eclipse/
>> rather than /usr/lib/eclipse/ because it is a large arch all package.
>
> put it to /usr/share/eclipse, now.
>
>> However it did not work when I tried to move it (even when symlinking
>> from /usr/lib/eclipse/). I think it complained because it could not find
>> the eclipse.ini file[1].
>
> Could you try updated package?

Hi again

Sorry for the wait; I tested it and it works after the move to share.
Good work

>[...]

~Niels

Old 03-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Hideki Yamane

Hi,

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:33:32 +0100
Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> Sorry for the wait; I tested it and it works after the move to share.
> Good work

Thanks Niels!

So, next step... I want someone to upload this to Debian
please dget below, build and dupload/dput to NEW queue!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Hideki Yamane

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:18:44 +0100
Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> wrote:
> I've had a look at the package in detail, but unfortunately I can't upload it.

great thanks, I'm glad you to check this package.

> - you list Files: * and a copy of the EPL twice in debian/copyright
> - you have licenced the packaging under the GPL, which is not compatible with the
> EPL, and hence the resulting package is (at least in one view) not distributable.
> We recommend licencing packaging under either the licence of the software, or
> a permissive licence such as expat.

fixed.

> - what is the licence of ./srctest/jp/sourceforge/mergedoc/pleiades/resource/3.1.1a/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv_3.1.1/jdt_api_options/ja_expected.html (et al)?

I'll ask upstream author about this (or remove it if it is wrongly added).

Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Hideki Yamane

Hi,

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:18:44 +0100
Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> wrote:
> - what is the licence of ./srctest/jp/sourceforge/mergedoc/pleiades/resource/3.1.1a/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv_3.1.1/jdt_api_options/ja_expected.html (et al)?

"Those files are not needed for build" upstream says, so I removed that
from upstream source and re-uploaded it.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Hideki Yamane

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:51:54 +0100
Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> wrote:
> Thanks, but that file seems to still have the debian/copyright issues in it?

Oh, bogus lines. removed.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Hideki Yamane

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:18:37 +0100
Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> wrote:
> This one has the old orig tarball with the html files still there

remove old tarball, rebuild and checked.
Sorry, but once again please...