-   -   RFS: jython 2.2.1-2.1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/344768-rfs-jython-2-2-1-2-1-a.html)

Onkar Shinde 03-21-2010 11:25 AM

RFS: jython 2.2.1-2.1

While working on logkit -> excalibur-logkit migration I stumbled upon
jython package which has few problems as per latest conventions for
java packaging. I have fixed these problems along with some lintian
errors/warnings and uploaded the package to mentors.debian.net. The
package maintainer is listed on lowthresholdnmu page. So this package
can be uploaded immediately.

Please sponsor the package -
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/j/jython/jython_2.2.1-2.1.dsc

Latest changelog for reference
jython (2.2.1-2.1) unstable; urgency=low

* Non-maintainer upload.
* Update build/runtime dependencies to appropriate default-j* packages.
(Closes: #463114, #570195)
* lintian error/warning fixes.
- debian/control
- Move ant to build-depends.
- Add misc:Depends to dependencies.
- Update standards version to 3.8.4.
- debian/*.doc-base.*
- Remove 'Apps' from 'Section' value.
- Remove single white space at the end of file.
- debian/copyright
- Convert to UTF-8 encoding.

-- Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@ubuntu.com> Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:25:59 +0530

Onkar

Matthew Johnson 03-21-2010 03:25 PM

RFS: jython 2.2.1-2.1

On Sun Mar 21 17:55, Onkar Shinde wrote:
> While working on logkit -> excalibur-logkit migration I stumbled upon
> jython package which has few problems as per latest conventions for
> java packaging. I have fixed these problems along with some lintian
> errors/warnings and uploaded the package to mentors.debian.net. The
> package maintainer is listed on lowthresholdnmu page. So this package
> can be uploaded immediately.

The maintainer is on lowthresholdnmu, but that does not absolve you from the
rest of the NMU procedure[0], namely, filing the patches in the BTS against the
relative bugs, contacting the maintainer directly with your intention to NMU
and not making changes that don't fix actual bugs.

Having said that, the upload looks good, but can you please do the appropriate
paperwork first.

Matt

0. http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu

--
Matthew Johnson

tony mancill 03-21-2010 03:25 PM

RFS: jython 2.2.1-2.1

Uploaded to the archive.

Thank you,
Tony

tony mancill 03-21-2010 03:39 PM

RFS: jython 2.2.1-2.1

Onkar Shinde 03-21-2010 04:54 PM

RFS: jython 2.2.1-2.1

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun Mar 21 17:55, Onkar Shinde wrote:
>> While working on logkit -> excalibur-logkit migration I stumbled upon
>> jython package which has few problems as per latest conventions for
>> java packaging. I have fixed these problems along with some lintian
>> errors/warnings and uploaded the package to mentors.debian.net. The
>> package maintainer is listed on lowthresholdnmu page. So this package
>> can be uploaded immediately.
>
> The maintainer is on lowthresholdnmu, but that does not absolve you from the
> rest of the NMU procedure[0], namely, filing the patches in the BTS against the
> relative bugs, contacting the maintainer directly with your intention to NMU
> and not making changes that don't fix actual bugs.
>
> Having said that, the upload looks good, but can you please do the appropriate
> paperwork first.

Considering that the maintainer did not reply to bugs in question for
long time, I assumed it was ok to seek sponsors directly. My mistake.
I will be carefully follow the procedure next time.

By the way the changes I did fixed only fixed mostly lintian
errors/warnings. Should that be avoided when doing NMU?

Onkar

Matthew Johnson 03-21-2010 04:59 PM

RFS: jython 2.2.1-2.1

On Sun Mar 21 23:24, Onkar Shinde wrote:
> By the way the changes I did fixed only fixed mostly lintian
> errors/warnings. Should that be avoided when doing NMU?

You should not be fixing lintian warnings for the sake of it, NMU procedure
says "only fix filed bugs". In the case of moving ant to build-depends, for
example, that is a genuine bug, so even though there's no bug number it's ok

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson

Onkar Shinde 03-21-2010 05:07 PM

RFS: jython 2.2.1-2.1

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun Mar 21 23:24, Onkar Shinde wrote:
>> By the way the changes I did fixed only fixed mostly lintian
>> errors/warnings. Should that be avoided when doing NMU?
>
> You should not be fixing lintian warnings *for the sake of it, NMU procedure
> says "only fix filed bugs". In the case of moving ant to build-depends, for
> example, that is a genuine bug, so even though there's no bug number it's ok

Ok. I will keep this in mind.

Onkar

Nicolas Duboc 03-22-2010 07:44 PM

RFS: jython 2.2.1-2.1

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 09:39:51AM -0700, tony mancill wrote:

> Yes, and it's definitely my mistake for sponsoring without checking the bug. I
> cc:ed Nicolas on the upload and here again. Nicolas, my apologies for the
> over-zealous upload.

No problem. I have to admit I wasn't very active these last weeks.
Thanks for your NMU.

I actually hoped to upload jython 2.5 rapidly and didn't bother to
work on 2.1. So your upload is appreciated as it fixes the current
issues until I upload version 2.5.

--
Nicolas Duboc <nduboc@debian.org>