Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Michael Koch

Default spring cleanup

Hello Java team,

I would like to do a spring cleanup in our SVN repository. We have
two problems currently with it:

#1 Too many packages which are obsoleted

#2 We have far to many people with access to the repository
which dont work on it anymore.

To solve #1 I would like to create a sister directory for 'trunk'
called 'old' and move the following list of packages to it with
"svn move ..." to not loose any history. The packages I currently
have on my list are:

commons-digester
commons-httpclient3
libant1.5-java
libant1.6-java
libapache2-mod-jk2
libitext-java-doc
libjessie-java
libjetty4-java
libsaxpath-java
libservlet2.2-java
libstruts1.1-java
mpkg-j2se
mx4j
tomcat
tomcat4
tomcat5
vecmath

To solve #2 I will mail some people who don't commited to the SVN
for a long time (or never. Yes, we have such people) personally
and will ask them about their view if its okay to remove them from
pkg-java group on alioth or what their plans are.

Before I start with these cleanups I would like ask for your opinions
about this. Is this okay for everyone? Are there things I have
forgotten? What do you think?

Cheers,
Michael

Old 01-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Petter Reinholdtsen

[Michael Koch]
> Before I start with these cleanups I would like ask for your
> opinions about this. Is this okay for everyone? Are there things I
> have forgotten? What do you think?

I have no problem with this plan. I can't vouch for everyone,
though.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 01-11-2008, 11:33 AM
"Vincent Fourmond"

Hello,

On Jan 11, 2008 12:53 PM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> [Michael Koch]
> > Before I start with these cleanups I would like ask for your
> > opinions about this. Is this okay for everyone? Are there things I
> > have forgotten? What do you think?
>
> I have no problem with this plan. I can't vouch for everyone,
> though.

You can count me in as well.

Cheers,

Vincent, happy that his full checkout will grow smaller some time soon

Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Marcus Better

Michael Koch wrote:
> To solve #1 I would like to create a sister directory for 'trunk'
> called 'old'

And same for tags and branches probably?

Cheers,

Marcus

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Michael Koch

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:38:49PM +0100, Marcus Better wrote:
> Michael Koch wrote:
> > To solve #1 I would like to create a sister directory for 'trunk'
> > called 'old'
>
> And same for tags and branches probably?

Is there a need for this? If yes we can surely move stuff to dirs like
"old-tags" and "old-branches". I mainly did the cleanup to not irritate
tools like svnbuildstat and qareport with packages not existing anymore.

Cheers,
Michael

Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 AM
"Vincent Fourmond"

Hello,

On Jan 14, 2008 9:59 PM, Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:38:49PM +0100, Marcus Better wrote:
> > Michael Koch wrote:
> > > To solve #1 I would like to create a sister directory for 'trunk'
> > > called 'old'
> >
> > And same for tags and branches probably?
>
> Is there a need for this?

I don't think so: tags and branches are meant to stay, and they
don't cause problems (no one would dream checking out the tags/
directory). No need to work more when the benefits are little or
inexistant.

Cheers

Vincent

Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 AM
"Vincent Fourmond"

Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 AM
"Arnaud Vandyck"

Michael,

Excellent idea ;-) Vincent, I agree, there is no need to clean up tags
and branches.

2008/1/15, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org>:
> Hello,
>
> On Jan 14, 2008 9:59 PM, Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > And same for tags and branches probably?
> >
> > Is there a need for this?
>
> I don't think so: tags and branches are meant to stay, and they
> don't cause problems (no one would dream checking out the tags/
> directory). No need to work more when the benefits are little or
> inexistant.
>
> Cheers
>
> Vincent

Arnaud Vandyck