-   -   New packager (fwd to debian-java) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/340459-new-packager-fwd-debian-java.html)

Niels Thykier 03-12-2010 10:19 AM

New packager (fwd to debian-java)

Hi,

I am just forwarding this to Debian-java@l.d.o which is our debate list
(from pkg-java@l.a.d.o).

~Niels

Eric Lavarde 03-13-2010 07:47 AM

New packager (fwd to debian-java)

Hi Fabrizio,

I'm not a DD, but nobody has answered yet, so let me try.

First, the kind of help you're expecting is a bit vague, so my answer
might not be what you expect.

For your first package, my recommendation would be to take the simplest
package with the least dependencies (and dependencies of dependencies,
and dependencies of....) not packaged yet in Debian.
In the same direction, take care of the licensing used, try to avoid
packages with multiples licenses, complex copyrights, etc... At the end,
ftp-master might not let them through and you've worked for nothing.
Same applies of course to dependencies.

These are important point because it can multiple the needed effort
without visible result, and be quite discouraging, so check the
dependencies (libraries mostly) and the licenses/copyrights before you
start packaging.

Now, to start packaging, your first lecture should be
http://www.debian.org/devel/, especially the New Maintainer's Guide
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

Hope this helps,
Eric

Fabrizio Furnari 03-13-2010 07:50 AM

New packager (fwd to debian-java)

Hi Eric,
many thanks for your suggestions, I'll start in this way. Exist a guide or an howto which describe the packaging process for Java applications?

--
@P=split//,".URRUUc8R";@d=split//,"
iranruF oizirbaF";sub p{

($p{$_})&6];$p{$_}=/ ^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep rand(2)if/S/;print

Eric Lavarde 03-13-2010 09:54 AM

New packager (fwd to debian-java)

Hello,

packaging for Java is not very different from other kind of packaging,
but you should nevertheless have a look at the Java Policy (same page as
below) and check http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/.

Eric

Sylvestre Ledru 03-13-2010 10:46 AM

New packager (fwd to debian-java)

Hello,

Please note that the Java Policy is pretty outdated and some information
are deprecated.

Sylvestre

Matthew Johnson 03-15-2010 06:55 PM

On Sat Mar 13 09:50, Fabrizio Furnari wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> many thanks for your suggestions, I'll start in this way. Exist a guide or
> an howto which describe the packaging process for Java applications?

The tutorial which is in the javahelper package contains a number of examples.
I recommend looking at some simple packages, particularly those which use dh 7
as their packaging helper. libcsv-java and weirdx are reasonable examples.
salliere is a little more complicated as it has a make-based build system.

Matt
--
Matthew Johnson