-   -   EPL + LGPL compatiblity? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-java/338398-epl-lgpl-compatiblity.html)

Pablo Duboue 03-09-2010 06:03 AM

EPL + LGPL compatiblity?

Hi,

We seek some advice regarding #572982 [1] (azureus, a well-known torrent
client, combines source licensed under incompatible licenses).

From Niels quoted sources, there is no doubt about the incompatibility of GPL
and EPL. But LGPL and EPL might be a different matter and Google has proved
quite unfriendly on this regard.

Any advice on the matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pablo

Charles Plessy 03-09-2010 10:15 AM

EPL + LGPL compatiblity?

Le Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 02:03:31AM -0500, Pablo Duboue a écrit :

> We seek some advice regarding #572982 [1] (azureus, a well-known torrent
> client, combines source licensed under incompatible licenses).
>
> From Niels quoted sources, there is no doubt about the incompatibility of GPL
> and EPL. But LGPL and EPL might be a different matter and Google has proved
> quite unfriendly on this regard.
>
> Any advice on the matter will be highly appreciated.

Dear Pablo,

It looks like Aelitis/Vuze is the copyright owner of most of the GPL'ed code,
so the quickest way to solve the problem may be to ask them to add a license
exception to allow combining their code with the co-distributed EPL and
CPL-licensed sources. I hope others will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems
that the CPL does not forbid the program to be linked with works under other
licenses, so exception is only needed on the GPL side.

According to debian/copyright, this leaves two files to either replace or get
relicensed by their authors:

Files: com/aelitis/azureus/core/peermanager/utils/BTPeerIDByteDecoder.java
Copyright: 2003-2006, Aelitis
2002-2004, Alon Rohter
License: GPL-2+

Files: org/gudy/azureus2/core3/util/BrokenMd5Hasher.java
Copyright: 2005, jMuleGroup
License: GPL-2

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan

Walter Landry 03-09-2010 11:34 AM

EPL + LGPL compatiblity?

Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We seek some advice regarding #572982 [1] (azureus, a well-known torrent
> client, combines source licensed under incompatible licenses).
>
> From Niels quoted sources, there is no doubt about the incompatibility of GPL
> and EPL. But LGPL and EPL might be a different matter and Google has proved
> quite unfriendly on this regard.

I think that the LGPL v3 is compatible with the EPL. The LGPL allows
you to convey combined works as long as you can recompile the LGPL
parts. Since we have the source for everything, this is not a
problem.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry@caltech.edu

Torsten Werner 04-10-2010 08:25 PM

EPL + LGPL compatiblity?

Hi Pablo,

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> It looks like Aelitis/Vuze is the copyright owner of most of the GPL'ed code,
> so the quickest way to solve the problem may be to ask them to add a license
> exception to allow combining their code with the co-distributed EPL and
> CPL-licensed sources. I hope others will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems
> that the CPL does not forbid the program to be linked with works under other
> licenses, so exception is only needed on the GPL side.

is there any progress regarding the license exception...

> According to debian/copyright, this leaves two files to either replace or get
> relicensed by their authors:

and the relicensing?

Cheers,
Torsten