Old 03-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Peter Collingbourne

Default Advice on packaging a Maven plugin

Hello,

We (I and Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan) are packaging a Maven plugin for
the Clojure language (clojure-maven-plugin). Our preliminary packaging
is available at git://git.debian.org/pkg-java/clojure-maven-plugin.git

Our question relates to how to package those packages which depend
on clojure-maven-plugin. Because maven plugins do not supply a
"debian" version, any package relying on clojure-maven-plugin
(essentially all packages written in Clojure that use Maven) will
need to specify a particular version of the plugin and will FTBFS
when a new version enters the archive. AFAICT, every other maven
plugin in the archive has the same problem. But due to the less
tightly coupled relationship between this plugin and its users,
a solution to this problem is more needed.

One solution to this problem is to use some makefile magic in the
dependent package's debian/rules file to extract the plugin's version
number and inject it into the pom.xml using a substitution variable.
But this would need to be done in every dependent package.

I am seeking the list's input on this or any other solution.

Thanks,
--
Peter

Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Ludovic Claude

Hello Peter,

Short answer: you don't have to do anything, maven-debian-helper does
the magic for you, and will use the version of the Maven plugin that is
present in your Debian installation.
This is true since maven-debian-helper 0.8.

Please file a bug if you find that is functionality doesn't work as
expected, I have not much tested it.

Ludovic