Old 02-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Torsten Werner

Default net.ipv6.bindv6only

Hi,

instead of discussing ant versions I want to draw your attention to
#560044, #560056 and similar bug reports. I think that is a much worse
problem and we need a solution.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Torsten Werner

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> wrote:
> instead of discussing ant versions I want to draw your attention to
> #560044, #560056 and similar bug reports.

thanks to the overwhelming response I have looked at this issue by
myself. The fix is in openjdk-6 version 6b18~pre1-3 now. Please check
your java apps if it really fixes the problem.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Vincent Fourmond

Torsten Werner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> wrote:
>> instead of discussing ant versions I want to draw your attention to
>> #560044, #560056 and similar bug reports.
>
> thanks to the overwhelming response I have looked at this issue by
> myself. The fix is in openjdk-6 version 6b18~pre1-3 now. Please check
> your java apps if it really fixes the problem.

For freecol, it does not.

For the record, after the switch to net.ipv6.bindv6only, I had to add
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true for freecol to run in local mode (with a
localhost server, as far as I can tell).

I wonder if the problem is within freecol or within java. Freecol
listens in IPV6 but seems to connect as IP4...

I'll have a closer look into the (freecol) code.

Vincent

--
Au royaume des aveugles, il y a des borgnes ne pas dpasser.
-- Soeur Marie-Thrse des Batignoles (Master)

Vincent, listening to Lonely Wind (Kansas)

Old 03-06-2010, 03:48 PM
أحمد المحمودي

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 03:30:38PM +0100, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> For the record, after the switch to net.ipv6.bindv6only, I had to add
> -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true for freecol to run in local mode (with a
> localhost server, as far as I can tell).
---end quoted text---

We've done the same workaround for zekr package.

--
‎أ*مد الم*مودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
Digital design engineer

Old 03-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Sylvestre Ledru

Le mercredi 03 mars 2010 09:03 +0100, Torsten Werner a crit :
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> wrote:
> > instead of discussing ant versions I want to draw your attention to
> > #560044, #560056 and similar bug reports.
>
> thanks to the overwhelming response I have looked at this issue by
> myself. The fix is in openjdk-6 version 6b18~pre1-3 now. Please check
> your java apps if it really fixes the problem.
I tried to see how other distributions are handling this issue regarding
the Sun JDK but I haven't found anything...
It is going to be a very boring issue in Squeeze if Sun does not move
here ...

Sylvestre

Old 03-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Torsten Werner

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:48 PM, أ*مد الم*مودي <aelmahmoudy@sabily.org> wrote:
> We've done the same workaround for zekr package.

specifying -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true will switch off IPv6
completely. This is not a good idea.

I'll have a look at the freecol packages.

Cheer,s
Torsten

Old 03-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Vincent Fourmond

Torsten Werner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:48 PM, أ*مد الم*مودي <aelmahmoudy@sabily.org> wrote:
>> We've done the same workaround for zekr package.
>
> specifying -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true will switch off IPv6
> completely. This is not a good idea.
>
> I'll have a look at the freecol packages.

Don't bother:

freecol fails, because it spawns a server on "localhost", but it
connects using 127.0.0.1.

What I think is happening is that localhost is IPv6 by default (why ?)
so freecol fails when it later connects to 127.0.0.1.

Is that a bug in openjdk (ie fails to listen on both IPv6 and IPv4, or
takes localhost as IPv6 only) or freecol ? (where it should call both as
localhost ?).

I hope it makes it more clear.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
A guess is just a guess until you turn it into a pie chart.
Then it's an analysis.

Vincent, not listening to anything for now

Old 03-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Torsten Werner

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@gmail.com> wrote:
> *freecol fails, because it spawns a server on "localhost", but it
> connects using 127.0.0.1.

Yes that is the problem. Replacing 127.0.0.1 with localhost should be
the correct fix.

> *What I think is happening is that localhost is IPv6 by default (why ?)
> so freecol fails when it later connects to 127.0.0.1.

It listens on [::]:3541 and that is IPv6 only if net.ipv6.bindv6only=1.

> *Is that a bug in openjdk (ie fails to listen on both IPv6 and IPv4, or
> takes localhost as IPv6 only) or freecol ?

freecol

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Vincent Fourmond

Torsten Werner wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@gmail.com> wrote:
>> freecol fails, because it spawns a server on "localhost", but it
>> connects using 127.0.0.1.
>
> Yes that is the problem. Replacing 127.0.0.1 with localhost should be
> the correct fix.
>
>> What I think is happening is that localhost is IPv6 by default (why ?)
>> so freecol fails when it later connects to 127.0.0.1.
>
> It listens on [::]:3541 and that is IPv6 only if net.ipv6.bindv6only=1.
>
>> Is that a bug in openjdk (ie fails to listen on both IPv6 and IPv4, or
>> takes localhost as IPv6 only) or freecol ?
>
> freecol

OK, thanks.

Upstream is about to release a new version (fixing major usability
bugs for the 0.9 series, which I haven't packaged yet because of these);
I'll see if the problem still occurs, and I'll fix it if needs be.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty
and derring-do. Some achieved immortality by amassing great

Vincent, not listening to anything for now