Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Torsten Werner

Default Gradle and the Debian distribution

Hi,

Cc-ing the debian-java list now. This message is about packaging
gradle and gant for Debian and Ubuntu.

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Russel Winder
<russel.winder@concertant.com> wrote:
> This means that building a distribution by importing pre-compiled jars
> from the Maven repository is forbidden in Debian.

call us old school but we need proof that all code is licensed
correctly. There is only one way to reach that goal is building
everything from source and checking the license of every source file.
Relying on a repository full of binaries without source code is simply
not an option. That is not a theoretical problem only - we often find
non-free licenses and license violations when checking the sources.

> So to get Gradle into Debian it seems there has to be an Ant build
> without use of Ivy or Maven.

BTW, we have both ivy and maven in Debian. More and more packages are
shipping pom files to make them usable for building packages with
maven in offline mode. But we are far from having a complete and sane
maven repo within Debian.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Marcus Better

Old 02-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Russel Winder

Marcus,

Thanks for wading into this.

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 18:37 +0100, Marcus Better wrote:

> [CC gradle-devel]
>
> Torsten Werner wrote:
> > Cc-ing the debian-java list now. This message is about packaging
> > gradle and gant for Debian and Ubuntu.
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Russel Winder
> > <russel.winder@concertant.com> wrote:
>
> >> So to get Gradle into Debian it seems there has to be an Ant build
> >> without use of Ivy or Maven.
>
> I didn't see the original message, but this seems to be a misconception. We
> should be able to build Gradle with itself, using gradle-wrapper for
> bootstrapping (only).

I would be delighted if this were a misconception. Given the above it
seems that the following would be allowed by the Debian rules:

1. Build an instance of Gradle using a downloaded pre-compiled Gradle
Wrapper. This compiled Gradle cannot be used for packaging as it
depends on a "binary blob", but . . .

2. Use the newly created compiled Gradle to compile Gradle to show that
there is no dependence on a "binary blob" and create things that can be
packaged . . .

3. Use this latterly created Gradle as input to the packaging process.

If this is correct, then it would be feasible to get Gradle into Debian
and thence Ubuntu, and then packages (such as Gant, Griffon, etc.) that
rely on Gradle for build could be built without having a special Ant
build.

Hans and/or Adam will almost certainly have to chip in here, but the
problem I see is that the Gradle build specifies specific versions of
the dependencies and these may be different from the instances of these
dependencies in Debian at any given time.

--
Russel.
================================================== ===========================

Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Torsten Werner

Hi Russel,

Russel Winder schrieb:
> 1. Build an instance of Gradle using a downloaded pre-compiled Gradle
> Wrapper. This compiled Gradle cannot be used for packaging as it
> depends on a "binary blob", but . . .
>
> 2. Use the newly created compiled Gradle to compile Gradle to show that
> there is no dependence on a "binary blob" and create things that can be
> packaged . . .
>
> 3. Use this latterly created Gradle as input to the packaging process.
>
> If this is correct, then it would be feasible to get Gradle into Debian
> and thence Ubuntu, and then packages (such as Gant, Griffon, etc.) that
> rely on Gradle for build could be built without having a special Ant
> build.

self dependencies should be avoided as a general rule but they are
acceptable in cases like this one.

Cheers,
Torsten