Old 02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Heikki Levanto

Default Java plugin on icewasel - stopped working

This is probably a common question, but I couldn't find a solution by simple
googling.

I have a workstation running Debian/Squeeze, with sun java and iceweasel
installed (6-16-1), but no java applets seem to work. They did work some
weeks ago. I have updated my system a few times ion between, but now even the
simple one at
http://www.javatester.org/version.html
says "Error. Click for details".

When I click, I get a typical java backtrace (see end of this mail)

This tells me that java plugin, and java itself is installed and running
all right.

The first exception is
load: class JavaVersionDisplayApplet.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: JavaVersionDisplayApplet.class
and looking deeper in the stack, I see
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Network is unreachable

Now, obviously my network is reachable, since I get to the test page. Is
there some kind of security thing preventing the java plugin from loading the
applet?

it may be worth mentioning that this is on amd64, but I also have an older
i86 installation, into which I can schroot. There is an older iceweasel with
sun-java5-plugin 1.5.0-14-1etch1, which has started to fail the same way. I
don't think I have updated that schroot for a while.

Any ideas and suggestions would be helpful!

- Heikki Levanto

Java console when accessing any page with a java applet:
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_16
Using JRE version 1.6.0_16-b01 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
User home directory = /home/heikki
(...some help text snipped...)
load: class JavaVersionDisplayApplet.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: JavaVersionDisplayApplet.class
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Ap plet2ClassLoader.java:152)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 07)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 52)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Plu gin2ClassLoader.java:445)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Plu gin2Manager.java:2880)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionR unnable.run(Plugin2Manager.java:1397)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Network is unreachable
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl .java:333)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSoc ketImpl.java:195)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.j ava:182)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.j ava:366)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java :161)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient. java:394)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient. java:529)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java :233)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:30 6)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:32 3)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNew HttpClient(HttpURLConnection.java:860)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainC onnect(HttpURLConnection.java:801)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connec t(HttpURLConnection.java:726)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInp utStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1049)
at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURL Connection.java:373)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.getBytes(App let2ClassLoader.java:458)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.access$000(A pplet2ClassLoader.java:46)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader$1.run(Applet 2ClassLoader.java:126)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Ap plet2ClassLoader.java:123)
... 6 more
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: JavaVersionDisplayApplet.class

--
Heikki Levanto "In Murphy We Turst" heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk