Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Niels Thykier

Default Eclipse 3.5

(Moving this to debian-java@l.d.o)

Rolf Schumacher wrote:
> ... when will it be available as a maintained Debian package?
>
> I'm thinking about starting to experience Eclipse. However, applications
> I'm looking for build on 3.5. So I wonder if its wise to wait.
>
> Rolf

Thank you for your interest in eclipse. The short answer to your
question would be something down the line of "soon". I figured this
might be a good time to bring a little status on eclipse for the rest of
the team as well.

eclipse status
==============
The long answer is that we need to patch 6 dependencies, where of at
least 2 needs to go through the NEW queue (meaning they will probably be
stalled up to a week or two) and our build system need to be
patched/updated to handle 3 of the these after they have been patched. I
am thinking 2 to 4 weeks depending on the NEW queue and how much time
Benjamin and I can put into the package (If you are using testing,
please add at least 10 days to this).

While it is not my decision alone, I personally believe that eclipse 3.5
have received considerable amount of testing from the Ubuntu side (and
that the current eclipse in Debian is of such a quality that the new
package cannot be worse) and therefore should be uploaded directly to
unstable. However, it is not my decision to make alone and eclipse may
end up in experimental for a while (you can still get it from Debian in
this case, assuming you have enabled experimental).

I am expecting to finish up the 2 packages that has to go through NEW
this weekend (I just have to verify eclipse builds with them plus put a
final touch on the packaging).

Reviewing/Testing eclipse
=========================
[Mostly for Debian Maintainers/Developers]

You (as in anyone reading this email) are more than welcome to test our
current eclipse package for problems. I can provide unofficial packages
for x86/i386 archs; you may also be able to use the ones from Ubuntu (I
used it with success earlier in our development cycle to attempt to
reproduce issues reported from Ubuntu).

Since we have spent 5 months now dancing with this package, I certainly
would not mind a pair of fresh eyes to review it. Currently the only
thing left on my list to do is making eclipse build against the final 6
dependencies, repack to remove embedded jars + cleaning up
debian/copyright (removing licenses of the embedded jars). Since we have
spent 5 months now dancing with this package, I certainly would not mind
a pair of fresh eyes to review it.

Thank you for considering and feel free to reply if (any of) you have
any questions,
~Niels

Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Benjamin Drung

Am Mittwoch, den 03.02.2010, 23:34 +0100 schrieb Niels Thykier:
> (Moving this to debian-java@l.d.o)
>
> Rolf Schumacher wrote:
> > ... when will it be available as a maintained Debian package?
> >
> > I'm thinking about starting to experience Eclipse. However, applications
> > I'm looking for build on 3.5. So I wonder if its wise to wait.
> >
> > Rolf

> Thank you for your interest in eclipse. The short answer to your
> question would be something down the line of "soon". I figured this
> might be a good time to bring a little status on eclipse for the rest of
> the team as well.
>
> eclipse status
> ==============
> The long answer is that we need to patch 6 dependencies, where of at
> least 2 needs to go through the NEW queue (meaning they will probably be
> stalled up to a week or two) and our build system need to be
> patched/updated to handle 3 of the these after they have been patched. I
> am thinking 2 to 4 weeks depending on the NEW queue and how much time
> Benjamin and I can put into the package (If you are using testing,
> please add at least 10 days to this).
>
> While it is not my decision alone, I personally believe that eclipse 3.5
> have received considerable amount of testing from the Ubuntu side (and
> that the current eclipse in Debian is of such a quality that the new
> package cannot be worse) and therefore should be uploaded directly to
> unstable. However, it is not my decision to make alone and eclipse may
> end up in experimental for a while (you can still get it from Debian in
> this case, assuming you have enabled experimental).

It should definitively go directly into unstable (and not into
experimental). Upstream declared this version as stable. There is no
reason for moving it to experimental first - especially when you look at
the list of fixed bugs.

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)

Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Manuel Prinz

Hi Niels,

thanks a lot for your status update! I think that was very informative
for a lot of users and --as I read it-- pretty good news for those
waiting for the new Eclipse version.

Am Mittwoch, den 03.02.2010, 23:34 +0100 schrieb Niels Thykier:
> The long answer is that we need to patch 6 dependencies, where of at
> least 2 needs to go through the NEW queue (meaning they will probably be
> stalled up to a week or two) and our build system need to be
> patched/updated to handle 3 of the these after they have been patched. I
> am thinking 2 to 4 weeks depending on the NEW queue and how much time
> Benjamin and I can put into the package.

I have no information about the current release dates but IIRC the
freeze was thought to be in March. I'd recommend to ask ftp-master to
fast-track those packages in NEW. It would be a shame if your work would
not make it into the next release because it was stuck in NEW for too
long.

I'll also think, as Benjamin already said, that the Eclipse packages
should be uploaded to unstable. It is the right place and gets a lot
more attention when it comes to testing the package.

> Since we have spent 5 months now dancing with this package, I
> certainly would not mind a pair of fresh eyes to review it.

I can't promise I can help with that but I'll try. I already had a look
at the package a few months back (before you started) and gave up. I
guess the situation improved a lot since then. Which brings me to the
most important point of my email:

I'd like to say: Thank you very much for your work on Eclipse! You and
Benjamin (and maybe even more people, who I'm not aware of) did a great
job in your packaging work. It's visible on this list and I guess there
are a lot of people out there watching the progress for the last few
months, appreciating what you have achieved so far! Please keep up the
good work! I'm very thankful for it, at least.

Best regards
Manuel

Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Niels Thykier

Hey

I figured now would be a good time to come with a little update.

Manuel Prinz wrote:
> thanks a lot for your status update! I think that was very informative
> for a lot of users and --as I read it-- pretty good news for those
> waiting for the new Eclipse version.

I think I can do a little better than that today. ;-)

Quoting myself:
>> The long answer is that we need to patch 6 dependencies, where of at
>> least 2 needs to go through the NEW queue (meaning they will probably be
>> stalled up to a week or two) and our build system need to be
>> patched/updated to handle 3 of the these after they have been patched. I
>> am thinking 2 to 4 weeks depending on the NEW queue and how much time
>> Benjamin and I can put into the package.

Both jasper and jetty are ready for uploading (see my respective RFS on
these). Matthew Johnson had a look at them, but by the time I had
addressed his comments, he had been overloaded. He said he might be busy
until the weekend and that I was free to seek other sponsors in the
meantime. So, by all means feel free to have look at them if you have
some time.

I also just recently put of asm3 for sponsoring, which is the last
dependency missing (besides the two above).
The attentive reader may have noticed that I wrote that I needed to
patch 6 dependencies but have only RFS'ed 4 packages. It turns out that
the oldest trick in the book works even for eclipse (yupe - I rm'ed them).
While the tarball has "unrelated" embedded jars (eclipse-build just
pulled everything from the upstream cvs/svn); the three mentioned above
are sadly not among them. I have left Benjamin in charge of repacking
the tarball, after which I can commit my last changes (e.g. update of
debian/copyright)

Manuel Prinz wrote:
> I have no information about the current release dates but IIRC the
> freeze was thought to be in March. I'd recommend to ask ftp-master to
> fast-track those packages in NEW. It would be a shame if your work would
> not make it into the next release because it was stuck in NEW for too
> long.

That might be a good idea especially since eclipse will end in NEW as
well (we have introduced a eclipse-platform-data to get rid of a lintian
warning).

Manuel Prinz wrote:
> I'd like to say: Thank you very much for your work on Eclipse! You and
> Benjamin (and maybe even more people, who I'm not aware of) did a great
> job in your packaging work. It's visible on this list and I guess there
> are a lot of people out there watching the progress for the last few
> months, appreciating what you have achieved so far! Please keep up the
> good work! I'm very thankful for it, at least.

I appreciate the thought, but the truth be told, we owe most of it to
eclipse-build and Fedora. They had made eclipse "almost build-able" by
the time we showed up - modulo the 5-10ish patches we had (and have yet)
to send upstream. I honestly do not think we would be ready anytime soon
without them.

~Niels