Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Egon Willighagen

Default why jabref depends on openjdk-6-jre on Debian system?

Dear Marcelo,

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Marcelo Laia <marcelolaia@gmail.com> wrote:
> marcelo@laia:~$ sudo aptitude show jabref
> Pacote: jabref
> Depends on: openjdk-6-jre, antlr, antlr3, libjgoodies-looks-java,
> * * * * * *libjgoodies-forms-java, libspin-java, libglazedlists-java,
> * * * * * *libmicroba-java, libpdfbox-java, libjempbox-java (>= 0.2.0),
> * * * * * *java-wrappers (>= 0.1.6), libmysql-java, libcommons-logging-java,
> * * * * * *libjpf-java, libjpfcodegen-java, velocity (>= 1.5)

traditionally, dependencies were defined like (see Debian Java Policy):

java2-runtime | openjdk-6-jre

so that aptitude (or dpkg) would be happy if you already had a Java
.deb installed providing java2-runtime.

Now, that obviously does not work if you installed a non-deb version
of Java, e.g. in /usr/local, but I am also not sure why the
java2-runtime alternative is missing... I have been out of the Debian
Java loop for quite a long time now, and cc-ed the list, hoping they
can provide further information.

Kind regards,

Egon Willighagen

--
Post-doc @ Uppsala University
Proteochemometrics / Bioclipse Group of Prof. Jarl Wikberg

Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Marcelo Laia

2010/2/2 Egon Willighagen <egon.willighagen@gmail.com>:
> Dear Marcelo,

[snip]

> traditionally, dependencies were defined like (see Debian Java Policy):
>
> java2-runtime | openjdk-6-jre

[snip]

>On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Marcelo Laia <marcelolaia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I will not upgrade the jabref package!
>No one is. You can always just download the JabRef.jar from the JabRef
website itself, and run it with:

>/path/to/your/java -jar JabRef.jar

Hi Egon,

Like that there is no need to make that decision for the user, based
on Debian police (see yours previous comments), this way to upgrade
jabref is not the Debian way, so, I will not upgrade that package
manually and I believe that this is a bug on jabref package.

I'm sure the maintainers will solve this bug.

Thank you very much!

--
Marcelo Luiz de Laia
Lages - SC - Brazil

Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Egon Willighagen

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Marcelo Laia <marcelolaia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Like that there is no need to make that decision for the user, based
> on Debian police (see yours previous comments), this way to upgrade
> jabref is not the Debian way, so, I will not upgrade that package
> manually and I believe that this is a bug on jabref package.

Quite so.

The suggested alternative was the buggy Debian .deb or nothing... then
I rather see peope use the JabRef.jar instead...

What is the bug number? I'd like to cc on it...

Egon

Old 02-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Vincent Fourmond

Hello

(disclaimer: I am not the Jabref Debian maintainer)

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Egon Willighagen
<egon.willighagen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Marcelo Laia <marcelolaia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> marcelo@laia:~$ sudo aptitude show jabref
>> Pacote: jabref
>> Depends on: openjdk-6-jre, antlr, antlr3, libjgoodies-looks-java,
>> * * * * * *libjgoodies-forms-java, libspin-java, libglazedlists-java,
>> * * * * * *libmicroba-java, libpdfbox-java, libjempbox-java (>= 0.2.0),
>> * * * * * *java-wrappers (>= 0.1.6), libmysql-java, libcommons-logging-java,
>> * * * * * *libjpf-java, libjpfcodegen-java, velocity (>= 1.5)
>
> traditionally, dependencies were defined like (see Debian Java Policy):
>
> java2-runtime | openjdk-6-jre
>
> so that aptitude (or dpkg) would be happy if you already had a Java
> .deb installed providing java2-runtime.
>
> Now, that obviously does not work if you installed a non-deb version
> of Java, e.g. in /usr/local, but I am also not sure why the
> java2-runtime alternative is missing... I have been out of the Debian
> Java loop for quite a long time now, and cc-ed the list, hoping they
> can provide further information.

Jabref depends on openjdk-6-jre because I don't think it works with
other free Java implementations. If you want that it works with the
non-free sun packages (which are more-or-less obsolete now in Debian
anyway ), you should file a Debian bug for Jabref. I'm sure the
maintainer would consider that.

In general, it is better to file bug reports for problems about
specific packages rather than contact debian-java (or any other
"general" mailing list); this way, you are sure to reach the
maintainer.

Cheers,

Vincent

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Marcelo Laia

2010/2/4 Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@gmail.com>:

[snip]

> *Jabref depends on openjdk-6-jre because I don't think it works with
> other free Java implementations.

>From the developers site (http://jabref.sourceforge.net/documentation.php#linux)

Quote:
You must have Java 1.5 or newer installed. Most current Linux
distributions offer both Java 1.5 and 1.6 from their repositories. For
instance, in Ubuntu 7.10, if you have enabled the non-free repository,
you can install Java by typing the command

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

and entering your password, or by installing the package sun-java6-jre
in Synaptic.

> *In general, it is better to file bug reports for problems about
> specific packages rather than contact debian-java (or any other
> "general" mailing list); this way, you are sure to reach the
> maintainer.

OK! Thank you very much. I will file a bug right now.

Best wishes

--
Marcelo Luiz de Laia
Lages - SC - Brazil