Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Torsten Werner

Default Liferay packaging for Debian and Ubuntu

Hi,

I'd like to find out if there is some interest in the Debian und Ubuntu
Java communities to package Liferay Portal. Liferay
<http://www.liferay.com> is a portal server implementing the Java
Portlet Specification JSR-286. It can run in a variety of application
servers like Tomcat and JBoss and it provides additional features
compared to other portlet containers.

Please let me know if are interested in developing and maintaining a
package of liferay. It will certainly be a lot of work - probably too
much for just one maintainer. We would start with packaging it for
Debian/contrib (using Tomcat) and Ubuntu would get it through its
regular sync from Debian.

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Damien Raude-Morvan

I'd like to find out if there is some interest in the Debian und Ubuntu
Java communities to package Liferay Portal. Liferay
<http://www.liferay.com> is a portal server implementing the Java
Portlet Specification JSR-286. It can run in a variety of application
servers like Tomcat and JBoss and it provides additional features
compared to other portlet containers.

Please let me know if are interested in developing and maintaining a
package of liferay. It will certainly be a lot of work - probably too
much for just one maintainer. We would start with packaging it for
Debian/contrib (using Tomcat) and Ubuntu would get it through its
regular sync from Debian.

I'm using Liferay 5.2 on a daily basis at work so I'll join this
packaging effort. Do you want to build a new team or use pkg-java
existing infra. ?

I agree with you: this will be a huge task to include Liferay in main
(eg Liferay use +140 JAR at runtime) so we might start to upload it to
contrib.

IMHO, another important task is to also package Liferay Developpers
tools : Liferay SDK (portlets, themes skeleton and scripts), Liferay
Extension environnement generator and Liferay Maven Plugin.

Cheers,
--
Damien Raude-Morvan

Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Vincent Fourmond

Hello !

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Damien Raude-Morvan
<drazzib@drazzib.com> wrote:
>> Please let me know if are interested in developing and maintaining a
>> package of liferay. It will certainly be a lot of work - probably too
>> much for just one maintainer. We would start with packaging it for
>> Debian/contrib (using Tomcat) and Ubuntu would get it through its
>> regular sync from Debian.
>
> I'm using Liferay 5.2 on a daily basis at work so I'll join this packaging
> effort. Do you want to build a new team or use pkg-java existing infra. ?
>
> I agree with you: this will be a huge task to include Liferay in main (eg
> Liferay use +140 JAR at runtime) so we might start to upload it to contrib.

That doesn't make any difference, unless the JARs are licensed under
a BSD-like license. Debian (nor anyone else) does not have right to
distribute L?GPLed JARs without source.

I have little interest for liferay, so I doubt joining the
packaging, but I think there might be JARs that will come of use for
other applications. Please make sure to document all this in the ITP
(not that I ever thought you wouldn't ;-)...) - I might join in if I
have specific interest in one of the libraries.

I wish you good luck ;-)

Vincent

Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Torsten Werner

Hi Damien,

Damien Raude-Morvan schrieb:
> I'm using Liferay 5.2 on a daily basis at work so I'll join this
> packaging effort. Do you want to build a new team or use pkg-java
> existing infra. ?

yes I would prefer the pkg-java infrastructure (having admin priviledges
for many parts of it).

Cheers,
Torsten

Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 AM
Onkar Shinde

I do not have complete knowledge of how liferay works even though I
had explored it for a project about 2 years back. However, count me in
for packaging the dependencies.

Onkar

Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Damien Raude-Morvan