Old 11-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Phillip Farber

Default jetty-solr debian can't find java compiler

Hello,

I installed the solr-jetty packaged for Debian testing (running 2.6.22)
which gives me Jetty 5.1.14-1 and Solr 1.2.0+ds1-1. Jetty starts fine
and so does the Solr home page at http://localhost:8280/solr

But I get an error when I try to run http://localhost:8280/solr/admin

HTTP ERROR: 500
No Java compiler available

Should the solr admin webapp be working out of the box afer a solr-jetty
install from testing?

I have sun-java6-jdk package installed. I have sun 6 JDK and JRE
installed and have javac

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javac

% echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

% echo $PATH
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin:/l/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

% which javac
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/javac

% javac -version
javac 1.6.0

% cd /etc/init.d
% ./jetty stop
Stopping Jetty servlet engine: ...jetty.

% ./jetty start
Starting Jetty servlet engine: jetty.

% firefox http://localhost:8280/solr/admin &
HTTP ERROR: 500 No Java compiler available

Thanks,

Phil

Old 11-25-2007, 01:23 PM
"Arnaud Vandyck"

2007/11/22, Phillip Farber <pfarber@umich.edu>:

> Hello,

Hi,

> I installed the solr-jetty packaged for Debian testing (running 2.6.22)
> which gives me Jetty 5.1.14-1 and Solr 1.2.0+ds1-1. Jetty starts fine
> and so does the Solr home page at http://localhost:8280/solr
>
> But I get an error when I try to run http://localhost:8280/solr/admin
>
> HTTP ERROR: 500
> No Java compiler available
[...]
> % echo $JAVA_HOME
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

I don't know jetty, but in tomcat you have to set JAVA_HOME in the
start script (/etc/default/tomcat). Maybe you have to tell jetty where
is JAVA_HOME...

--
Arnaud Vandyck