Old 12-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Vincent Fourmond

Default Lending a hand

Hello,

I've noticed that some of the packages maintained by the team are in
not-such-a-good shape (I'm thinking about libbatik-java: no manual
pages, at least one executable simply always fails - and apparently a
new upstream is ready). Could I join the team and lend a hand (alioth
login fourmond) ? I'm starting to be quite experienced with team work
(Ruby and Games) and I have already three java packages in the archive.

I'm interested in putting batik back into a better shape, and I'm also
interested in statcvs as I want to package statsvn. I'd also glady give
up my two java libraries to the team (the last package is already
team-maintained).

Additionally, I'm a rather responsive sponsor, in the case you might
be lacking some of those.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer
http://vince-debian.blogspot.com/

Old 12-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Petter Reinholdtsen

[Vincent Fourmond]
> I've noticed that some of the packages maintained by the team are in
> not-such-a-good shape (I'm thinking about libbatik-java: no manual
> pages, at least one executable simply always fails - and apparently a
> new upstream is ready). Could I join the team and lend a hand (alioth
> login fourmond) ? I'm starting to be quite experienced with team work
> (Ruby and Games) and I have already three java packages in the archive.

Hi. Great to hear. I am positive to having you on the team, at
least. If you want to help out with some of the packages I am
involved in, I am more than happy to let you.

I do not have the privileges required to add you to the alioth
project, so that will have to done by one of the project admins.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Petter Reinholdtsen

[Vincent Fourmond]
> I've noticed that some of the packages maintained by the team are in
> not-such-a-good shape (I'm thinking about libbatik-java: no manual
> pages, at least one executable simply always fails - and apparently
> a new upstream is ready). Could I join the team and lend a hand
> (alioth login fourmond) ?

I was given admin privileges by Stefan Gybas, and have now added you
to the project. Welcome.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Michael Koch

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 01:41:32AM +0100, Vincent Fourmond wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've noticed that some of the packages maintained by the team are in
> not-such-a-good shape (I'm thinking about libbatik-java: no manual
> pages, at least one executable simply always fails - and apparently a
> new upstream is ready). Could I join the team and lend a hand (alioth
> login fourmond) ? I'm starting to be quite experienced with team work
> (Ruby and Games) and I have already three java packages in the archive.
>
> I'm interested in putting batik back into a better shape, and I'm also
> interested in statcvs as I want to package statsvn. I'd also glady give
> up my two java libraries to the team (the last package is already
> team-maintained).
>
> Additionally, I'm a rather responsive sponsor, in the case you might
> be lacking some of those.

Welcome in the team. It's nice to have you in the team.

Please note that batik is a not so simple package. Its tied to its
rdepends. Please keep that in mind. Also its in contrib. We should move
it to main if possible at all. This needs to be done with care, as most
java packages miss features when built with certain runtimes.

Thanks for taking care.

Cheers
Michael

Old 12-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Vincent Fourmond

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Vincent Fourmond]
>> I've noticed that some of the packages maintained by the team are in
>> not-such-a-good shape (I'm thinking about libbatik-java: no manual
>> pages, at least one executable simply always fails - and apparently
>> a new upstream is ready). Could I join the team and lend a hand
>> (alioth login fourmond) ?
>
> I was given admin privileges by Stefan Gybas, and have now added you
> to the project. Welcome.

Thanks !

Vincent

Old 12-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Vincent Fourmond

Michael Koch wrote:
> Welcome in the team. It's nice to have you in the team.

Thanks ;-)

> Please note that batik is a not so simple package. Its tied to its
> rdepends. Please keep that in mind. Also its in contrib. We should move
> it to main if possible at all. This needs to be done with care, as most
> java packages miss features when built with certain runtimes.

Thanks for the warning. Then, maybe I could simply add manual pages to
the current version and patch it so the programs work ? That should not
break anything, if I respect Build-deps for building, should it ?

By the way, about contrib/main, I've just written a small perl script
based on a package currently in NEW (jclassinfo, I'll make it
team-maintained in a minute) that is able to find out the classes
required by a given jar file and find the jar files it should depend on.
That could make an appreciable step towards the construction of a
dh_java tool -- and that also could be very useful for the contrib/main
transition by allowing to:

* see if the classes requirements of a built archive depends on the
build environment (most probably meaning that features are missing when
building with a free JDK)
* see if the free Java machines actually have the classes required by
something in contrib, that could therefore be move to main.

I'll write more about this when the package has made its way through
NEW (as it is but useless now if no one can test it). It might then be
meaningful to create a java-pkg-tools with this and other tools to help
make the transition.

Cheers,

Vincent

Old 12-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Michael Koch

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 02:44:17PM +0100, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> Michael Koch wrote:
> > Welcome in the team. It's nice to have you in the team.
>
> Thanks ;-)
>
> > Please note that batik is a not so simple package. Its tied to its
> > rdepends. Please keep that in mind. Also its in contrib. We should move
> > it to main if possible at all. This needs to be done with care, as most
> > java packages miss features when built with certain runtimes.
>
> Thanks for the warning. Then, maybe I could simply add manual pages to
> the current version and patch it so the programs work ? That should not
> break anything, if I respect Build-deps for building, should it ?

Yes, thats a good start for the package.

> By the way, about contrib/main, I've just written a small perl script
> based on a package currently in NEW (jclassinfo, I'll make it
> team-maintained in a minute) that is able to find out the classes
> required by a given jar file and find the jar files it should depend on.
> That could make an appreciable step towards the construction of a
> dh_java tool -- and that also could be very useful for the contrib/main
> transition by allowing to:
>
> * see if the classes requirements of a built archive depends on the
> build environment (most probably meaning that features are missing when
> building with a free JDK)
> * see if the free Java machines actually have the classes required by
> something in contrib, that could therefore be move to main.

We will have to see. I have some doubts this can work in a reliable way
in todays Java world.

> I'll write more about this when the package has made its way through
> NEW (as it is but useless now if no one can test it). It might then be
> meaningful to create a java-pkg-tools with this and other tools to help
> make the transition.

Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers,
Michael

Old 12-30-2007, 05:02 PM
"Arnaud Vandyck"

2007/12/28, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org>:

> Hello,

Hi Vincent,

> Could I join the team and lend a hand?

Welcome to the team and thanks for your help.

--
Arnaud Vandyck