Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
"Paul Wise"

Default Remove groovy

On Dec 10, 2007 7:14 AM, Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> wrote:

> > It was reported to the Security Team, that groovy embeds a lot of packages,
> > several of them security-sensitive:
<snip>
> > Since it's in contrib, it's not security-supported, but given the state of it (outdated,
> > hardly any users) it should likely be just removed?
>
> Unless anyone objects within the next days, I'll file an RM bug.

Perhaps people on the debian-java list should be given the chance to
adopt or fix groovy or give an opinion on it's usefulness? CCing them.

I'm also hoping icedtea will happen for lenny so maybe it will be able
to move to main.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 12-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Marcus Better

Paul Wise wrote:
> Perhaps people on the debian-java list should be given the chance to
> adopt or fix groovy or give an opinion on it's usefulness? CCing them.

Groovy is emerging as an important new language for the Java platform, and
would be very useful to have in Debian. Of course the package must be
updated. I think we have all the dependencies so it should be possible.

> I'm also hoping icedtea will happen for lenny so maybe it will be able
> to move to main.

It may be possible to build with gcj. Maven could pose a bigger problem
though, but hopefully that can be solved for lenny.

Marcus

Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Eric Lavarde

Hi,

I kindly object to having groovy removed! I absolutely need it for the
next FreeMind release, that I expect to get in Debian at last!

were still some packages missing, but, in deed, doing a better job than
currently shouldn't be too hard.

OK, I can have a look if nobody else wants it. Is the maintainer Markus
Crafter somewhat MIA?

Eric

Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Lucas Nussbaum

On 11/12/07 at 22:31 +0100, Eric Lavarde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I kindly object to having groovy removed! I absolutely need it for the next
> FreeMind release, that I expect to get in Debian at last!

> were still some packages missing, but, in deed, doing a better job than
> currently shouldn't be too hard.
>
> OK, I can have a look if nobody else wants it. Is the maintainer Markus
> Crafter somewhat MIA?

He is. The package has been orphaned (see #382815), but then Torsten
Werner (added to Cc) ITAed it.

Lucas

--
| lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas@nussbaum.fr GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |

Old 12-12-2007, 05:31 AM
"Torsten Werner"

On Dec 11, 2007 11:48 PM, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> On 11/12/07 at 22:31 +0100, Eric Lavarde wrote:
> > I kindly object to having groovy removed! I absolutely need it for the next
> > FreeMind release, that I expect to get in Debian at last!
>
> He is. The package has been orphaned (see #382815), but then Torsten
> Werner (added to Cc) ITAed it.

Debian's groovy 0.1 currently FTBFS because libmockobject-java has
been removed from sid, which it is broken by itself. Groovy 1.0 needs
radeox which is not packaged (yet) but I had some discussions with
upstream. I'll check the brand new version 1.5 ASAP.

Cheers,
Torsten

--
blog: http://twerner.blogspot.com/
homepage: http://www.twerner42.de/

Old 12-12-2007, 07:10 AM
"Eric Lavarde - Debian"

Hi Torsten,

Torsten Werner said:
> Debian's groovy 0.1 currently FTBFS because libmockobject-java has
> been removed from sid, which it is broken by itself. Groovy 1.0 needs
> radeox which is not packaged (yet) but I had some discussions with
> upstream. I'll check the brand new version 1.5 ASAP.
I assume Groovy 1.0 :-)
I think it would be acceptable as a first step to have groovy 1.0 packaged
with the dependencies already available. It would already be a huge
improvement to have only 2 dependencies within the package.
But you have now taken the lead, so your choice :-)

Eric

PS: I understand you are not on debian-java, but you should be :-)

--
You don't need to CC me on debian-java, debian-mentors and
pkg-java-maintainers.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
"Torsten Werner"

On Dec 12, 2007 9:10 AM, Eric Lavarde - Debian <deb@zorglub.s.bawue.de> wrote:
> I assume Groovy 1.0 :-)

No 1.5.

> I think it would be acceptable as a first step to have groovy 1.0 packaged
> with the dependencies already available.

1.5 looks easier, because it does not need radeox.

Cheers,
Torsten